AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Well folks,

After a fair bit of trying, think I have an OK hunting load for the .44 mag.

Vihtavouri N110 powder
Magtech Large Pistol Primer
Nosler JSP 240gr

The below is just a 4 shot group from the ladder and I reckon the top right is a pull.

raNYXCJl.jpg

Only 50 yds but I reckon a place to investigate further. Decided to ditch H110 as think really needs a magnum pistol primer and they aren't the easiest of things to find where I am and I was getting very sooty cases with H110 and usually 2 "groups" when I shot, split by elevation.

I will load up some more with that charge weight and report back.

Scrummy

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, what are you hunting with it?, I have used Remington 240 grain factory ammo in the past for whitetail deer and black bear and they have worked well but ranges were short (less than 50 yds in northern swamps). That was out of a Marlin model 1894 lever. Makes a handy little close range swamp hunting package.

Hi Scrumbag .

Thank you for the information
It is looking promising , if I may ask what 44 mag Lever action do you have ?

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, thanks. The rifle is a 20" barrelled Chiappa Alaskan.

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Also have an OK cast lead plinking load with Unique but I might try and find a powder that throws more consistently by volume.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Looks good, what are you hunting with it?, I have used Remington 240 grain factory ammo in the past for whitetail deer and black bear and they have worked well but ranges were short (less than 50 yds in northern swamps). That was out of a Marlin model 1894 lever. Makes a handy little close range swamp hunting package.
Thanks Ravensview.

Will be used for deer here in the UK.

Scrummy

Hi Paul, thanks. The rifle is a 20" barrelled Chiappa Alaskan.

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

View attachment 414605

Skinner carry case:

View attachment 414601

View attachment 414602

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

View attachment 414603

And when you unpack it:

View attachment 414606

View attachment 414604

And out on the range:

View attachment 414600

Also have an OK cast lead plinking load with Unique but I might try and find a powder that throws more consistently by volume.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Looks like a nice rifle , I have never seen one , here in SA not a common firearm . I was hoping you had a Marlin 1894 micro groove lever action so I could copy your loads . The micro groove Marlin seems to be temperamental .
What deer are you planning on hunting and where ?

Looks like a nice rifle , I have never seen one , here in SA not a common firearm . I was hoping you had a Marlin 1894 micro groove lever action so I could copy your loads . The micro groove Marlin seems to be temperamental .
Hi Paul,

Afraid Marlin's for a while here in the UK Marlins were going for silly money. I also like a John Moses Browning designs and take downs which is another reason I went for it.

I'll happily send you my load by PM if you like?

Intended quarry will mainly be muntjac deer, perhaps roe deer and fallow as well.

I'm also have 2 models of Peregrine bullets coming for the .44 mag to try out (I'm worried growing non-lead requirements).

180gr Hog (looks kind of like a Barnes XPB)
205gr VRG3 - Blunt with a plunger

I will use N110 again and post results.

Scrummy

Hi folks,

Well, XS Rear sight has been added. I shall try and get to the range and shoot it a bit with the irons and also with the scout scope back on.

HCWoRDFl.jpg
AtnVNtPl.jpg
A8X7otpl.jpg

Peep sight is now nicely back at the rear where it should be.

Scrummy

The best loads in my Ruger 96/44 lever action, for 240 grain jacketed or 250 grain cast bullets, used Hodgdon Lil' Gun powder. Velocity and accuracy were far better than with H110. The only primer tried was the Winchester WLP "Large Pistol for Standard or Magnum loads".

@scrummy,

i have not used 44 mag in a rifle, but a 300 gr wide flat meplat, with w296 (around 21 gr) always shot well in my hand guns. also, the penetration you will get is impressive. you are correct tho, a magnum primer works best. i suspect that load in a rifle would be great on nearly anything a 44 mag should be shot at. good luck with your load development, cool rifle!!

The 265 gr Hornady bullet that they designed for the 444 Marlin, works great in the 44 magnum! If you can find someone to modify the action to allow to cycle 44 magnum to 1.83" oal, you will have one heck of gun, but even without the modification the 265 Hornady is nothing to scoff at in the unaltered gun!

The 265 gr Hornady bullet that they designed for the 444 Marlin, works great in the 44 magnum! If you can find someone to modify the action to allow to cycle 44 magnum to 1.83" oal, you will have one heck of gun, but even without the modification the 265 Hornady is nothing to scoff at in the unaltered gun!
That 265 Hornady bullet is lethal, use them in my .444 Marlin.

@scrummy,

i have not used 44 mag in a rifle, but a 300 gr wide flat meplat, with w296 (around 21 gr) always shot well in my hand guns. also, the penetration you will get is impressive. you are correct tho, a magnum primer works best. i suspect that load in a rifle would be great on nearly anything a 44 mag should be shot at. good luck with your load development, cool rifle!!
thanks @1dirthawker

Got to admit I wasn't so impressed with H110. Had much better luck with N110 (Which is not a version of H110 by any means).

Scrummy

That's a pretty neat setup you have there @Scrumbag. Would make a great (without the scope) little rifle as well for follow up on wounded wild boar. Thanks for sharing!

Hi folks,

Well, XS Rear sight has been added. I shall try and get to the range and shoot it a bit with the irons and also with the scout scope back on.

View attachment 450163View attachment 450162View attachment 450161

Peep sight is now nicely back at the rear where it should be.

Scrummy

Those are neat little rifles. My wife has a silver one in 357 mag & black one in 44 mag.
Unfortunately, we have not shot them yet.
I have a couple of Trijicon MRO’s for hers.

Hi Paul,

Afraid Marlin's for a while here in the UK Marlins were going for silly money. I also like a John Moses Browning designs and take downs which is another reason I went for it.

I'll happily send you my load by PM if you like?

Intended quarry will mainly be muntjac deer, perhaps roe deer and fallow as well.

I'm also have 2 models of Peregrine bullets coming for the .44 mag to try out (I'm worried growing non-lead requirements).

180gr Hog (looks kind of like a Barnes XPB)
205gr VRG3 - Blunt with a plunger

I will use N110 again and post results.

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
Mate try the 225 grain Barnes and a healthy dose of 110. If your cases are sooting up it's a sign you been mire coal on the fire to get a better seal
Screenshot_20220204-074810_Chrome.jpg

That 265 Hornady bullet is lethal, use them in my .444 Marlin.
@LT Backstrap
The 265gn FTX is pure devastion on anything it hits up to and including mature sambar stags out to 170 yards.
Loaded to over 2,400fps in the 444 they work great in the bang, flop department.

You can always try Alliants 2400, classic 44 mag powder. You can load to about 22 grs of it with a 240gr.
Usually very accurate.

Paul I have a Marlin 1894 with the micro-groove and it's not the least bit temperamental. Quite the contrary actually. It shoots might near every load ever tried in it to 4" at 100 yards, and that is with either irons or a red dot. My 2 different Keith style cast bullets sized to .431" shoot exceptionally well in it as do 240 gr XTP's, 240 gr Oregon Trail lazercast, and 250 gr Nosler soft points

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogelioCat

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)