The Little Big Buck

Love hunting them. Have another one scheduled for September in Mozambique.

PXL_20230624_124555726.jpg
DSCN1739.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What do they taste like? Good eating?
I know everything is relative to field dressing, environment, and cooking techniques.
A simple Cajun chef is curious.
Bushbuck is great, I havent ate any game from Africa that was bad.

@Scott CWO, That Zambia ram is gorgeous, looks like he has some harnessed in him. I’m looking for a similar one to mount full body. But the 3 I’ve shot have been about like me lacking in the hair department.
I hear ya loud and clear! My Moz bushbuck was more drab and lacking some hair, like us! Lol. I did a shoulder mount.

The Zambian bushbuck is getting full mounted. Just too darn pretty to do just a shoulder mount. Great hair and color really popped!

I also really enjoy hunting Bushbuck. One of my favorites. I’ve killed Chobe, Limpopo, Cape and East African ( Masai). My East African was my best. He was 17 inches on the longer horn. Pictured below:
IMG_0250.jpeg

Congrats to everyone on some great bushbuck! I like others really like hunting them and just the look of them, always on the agenda if an opportunity comes up. So far I’ve only gotten two, first was in Limpopo, a nice 17” ram but we hunted at night in tall grass along at field edges by the river. It was interesting for sure but not really my cup of tea. My second bushbuck was a cape bushbuck taken in the Eastern Cape.

IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I also really enjoy hunting Bushbuck. One of my favorites. I’ve killed Chobe, Limpopo, Cape and East African ( Masai). My East African was my best. He was 17 inches on the longer horn. Pictured below:
View attachment 596072
Such a great ram!! Congrats thanks for sharing!

Congrats to everyone on some great bushbuck! I like others really like hunting them and just the look of them, always on the agenda if an opportunity comes up. So far I’ve only gotten two, first was in Limpopo, a nice 17” ram but we hunted at night in tall grass along at field edges by the river. It was interesting for sure but not really my cup of tea. My second bushbuck was a cape bushbuck taken in the Eastern Cape.
View attachment 596073View attachment 596075View attachment 596076
Great rams congrats!

Love hunting them. Have another one scheduled for September in Mozambique.
Both great rams, thanks for sharing! Good luck on the up coming hunt.

Bushbuck are one of my favorite animals to hunt. Bushbuck, Eland, warthogs I get really excited about. I’ve taken 5 so far cape, chobe, and Limpopo. No two hunts for bushbuck have been same and a lot of luck plays into getting one. My chobe bushbuck from Zimbabwe is my best so far. My chobe bushbuck from Zambia is likely most unique because one of few bushbuck I’ve seen with ivory tips. I’m hoping to have an East African and a Nile after 2025 and 2026. Not having an opportunity to take a harnessed is one of my biggest disappointments from Cameroon.

Here’s my chobe bushbuck from Zimbabwe.
IMG_4302.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder how they manage to keep them so sharp. Must not do much sparring for females or the rams would all be scarred up.
The area you hunt might not have a good population of mature rams. Most bushbuck I’ve taken have significant scars. I haven’t seen a fight but I suspect they are very fierce.

You wouldn’t think it with this bushbuck. But he had a broken leg and was badly cut between his back legs from a recent fight.
IMG_4300.jpeg
IMG_4308.jpeg

This bushbuck has a split ear. If you look at many of the photos posted there are many split or damaged ears.
IMG_4309.jpeg

Some great Bushbuck posted here. Congratulations! Bushbuck is the one species that has eluded me this far. I think they are the coolest looking animal and will definitely go back to try and get one.

This is my Eastern Cape Bushbuck that I hunted in 2022. Tough hunt, and tough to get him out of the mountains. My knees were begging for forgiveness that day.

BUSHBUCK.jpg

The year before my first safari the lodge lost two tracking dogs to bushbuck. They are vicious little buggers with horns sharp as daggers ... no exaggeration. I wonder how they manage to keep them so sharp. Must not do much sparring for females or the rams would all be scarred up.
My Chobe was scarred up really badly, he had a split ear, hash on his forehead and was blind in one eye. I am sure he got from fighting as there are no thorns in that part of Mozambique. He was definitely an old warrior and survivor, he also had relatively new scars from a leopard on his flanks and one shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinbetonline

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.