TANZANIA: Selous Hunt With Alan Vincent From Vincent Safaris

Our last day was pretty low key. We were now just looking for an eland. We found a couple large herds of buffalo which we enjoyed watching for a while. Saw a fair number of other plains game but the only eland we saw were a few cows. For only the 3rd time in 16 days, we enjoyed lunch back at camp. In the late afternoon we went for a ride in a different area but still didn’t see the eland bull we were looking for. We got back to camp a bit after dark and we’re done. All in all, it had been a fantastic safari despite my failure on the buffalo.

The next morning Alan and I boarded the Cessna Caravan that took us to DAR. Alan was heading home to Zimbabwe to be with his family for a couple weeks before starting his last safari of the season with his long time client from Dubai that hunts with him every single year. That hunt started yesterday and his client shot a good, old Dugga Boy…. At 3 yards!

I boarded the afternoon Emirates flight for home. Emirates business class is definitely a better way to fly!

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, Madaba is an incredible area with a great diversity of game. Alan is simply an excellent PH of 32 years experience. He’s fully booked for 2024, but is now accepting bookings for 2025 & 2026. I’ve already connected a couple people who’ve PM’ed me with Alan and they’re discussing hunts with him. If anyone would like to discuss a possible hunt with him, PM me and I’ll be happy to connect you with him via WhatsApp.

I’ll be going back, probably in 2027, though we’re discussing multiple opportunities at this time. I’m thinking my next hunt at Madaba will probably be for 21 days.

IMG_1156.jpeg

The whole crew. While I spent all my time with Lema (our driver, upper left) and Nyoni & Robert (trackers, the two in green coveralls lower left) and Yahiah as our waiter and camp manager (blue shirt in lower middle), it also takes a number of behind the scenes help who often go unnoticed. Most of these guys have worked for Alan for 12+ years. They’re a big part of why it was such a great hunt.

Excellent adventure! Great writeup; thanks for putting us right there with you!

Excellent adventure. Congrats on a great hunt and some fine trophies. Some wonderful memories to be had from this one.
Bruce

Oh man, bummer you couldn't find the buffalo. Do you know if Alan if going to continue looking for it, or will it be food for the vultures?

Great report. Thanks for posting.

Outstanding report and hunt. What a wonderful assortment of animals. Congratulations!

Regarding uploading videos, go to Youtube and create your own channel. Upload the videos from your phone to your Youtube channel. It's easiest to do this all from your phone. Once the videos are on Youtube you can simply post the link into your AH report.

What an adventure! Waidmannsheil on an amazing hunt @DLSJR
Thanks a lot for sharing this with us!

Our last day was pretty low key. We were now just looking for an eland. We found a couple large herds of buffalo which we enjoyed watching for a while. Saw a fair number of other plains game but the only eland we saw were a few cows. For only the 3rd time in 16 days, we enjoyed lunch back at camp. In the late afternoon we went for a ride in a different area but still didn’t see the eland bull we were looking for. We got back to camp a bit after dark and we’re done. All in all, it had been a fantastic safari despite my failure on the buffalo.

The next morning Alan and I boarded the Cessna Caravan that took us to DAR. Alan was heading home to Zimbabwe to be with his family for a couple weeks before starting his last safari of the season with his long time client from Dubai that hunts with him every single year. That hunt started yesterday and his client shot a good, old Dugga Boy…. At 3 yards!

I boarded the afternoon Emirates flight for home. Emirates business class is definitely a better way to fly!
Awesome hunt report. Thanks for posting details, photos, etc. Sounds like you were covered up with leopards!

Alan's Dubai client is royalty and the owner of the other big Africa hunting forum.

Awesome hunt report. Thanks for posting details, photos, etc. Sounds like you were covered up with leopards!

Alan's Dubai client is royalty and the owner of the other big Africa hunting forum.
Yes, Saeed owns the other forum. He’s a great guy, gracious host, very generous to his friends and lots of fun to spend time with. I try to visit him when I go through Dubai. He welcomes many hunters to his home when they’re passing through.

Last edited:
Oh man, bummer you couldn't find the buffalo. Do you know if Alan if going to continue looking for it, or will it be food for the vultures?
That buffalo led us far onto U3, the neighboring concession, before we had to turn back. I don’t know if that buffalo will wander back onto MA1, but if it does it’ll be in serious trouble if Alan and the team find it. Saeed is a buffalo hunting machine, I think he’s shot 6 or 7 so far on the current hunt in addition to an unprovoked lion charge where he shot the lion nearly in their laps and it crashed 5 yards in front of them. They’ve got some interesting video footage of the charge. They’re having a very grand time so far with a dozen or so buffalo taken by the group at this point, plus a lot of other stuff.

I got a text 2 days ago that they had lions right at the edge of camp, roaring at 3:00 AM, had everyone wide awake. Alan’s mom is quite worried about them, which I don't recall her ever saying in the 40 years I’ve known them. It’s truly wild Africa!

A great writeup, thank you for taking us along on your adventure. Leopard and buff are such special hunts. You were successful on 4 of the dangerous 7. It is hard to make the call you did but i agree that you made the right call.

awesome report! thanks for taking us along for the ride with both the highs and lows. congratulations on an excellent safari!

Super glad you posted the video since I had previously missed your report. What a great write up and a fantastic adventure! Thanks for taking me along.

Just revisiting this from start to finish along with video. What a great great trip and write up!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minustwocargo

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!