Snakes!

I can’t believe all of you he men hunters are scared of some little ole snakes! LOL
Always carry a lucky rabbits foot on a chain to prevent snake bite! See a snake throw the foot at 'em so he bites it while you bravely run away. ( Monty Python music plays now)

Been to Africa 3 times. Seen a puff adder in Zambia on a dirt road & 3 mambas in South Africa. 1 dead on a dirt road and 2 crossing a dirt road this leads me to believe stay off dirt roads in Africa
:Jawdrop::Jawdrop::Jawdrop::Jawdrop::Jawdrop::Jawdrop:

I can’t believe all of you he men hunters are scared of some little ole snakes! LOL
Just the deadliest ones.

I kinda like snakes....preferably dead, skinned, gutted, in a frying pan in melted butter with salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Or seasoned and grilled. Or coated with a corn meal and flour batter, seasoned and deep fried.

Last edited:
Beautiful animals, just stay away from them, they wont hurt you.

Beautiful animals, just stay away from them, they wont hurt you.

I like snakes, but sometime this is almost impossible :ROFLMAO: Leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone. Water Moccasins, don’t care and never read the memo. I’m sure Mambas fall in the same category :ROFLMAO:

I like snakes, but sometime this is almost impossible :ROFLMAO: Leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone. Water Moccasins, don’t care and never read the memo. I’m sure Mambas fall in the same category :ROFLMAO:
Cottonmouth can get somewhat territorial, they are an almost daily occurrence in our lives, we have a stock pond next to our house and when it gets dry our condensation pipe from our air conditioner attracts them like flys to shit.

Just the deadliest ones.

I kinda like snakes....preferably dead, skinned, gutted, in a frying pan in melted butter with salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Or seasoned and grilled. Or coated with a corn meal and flour batter, seasoned and deep fried.
Where's the cilantro?

Was out with a nephew last fall looking for a buck for him when we saw this Texas earthworm sticking his head out from the edge of the brush. Took some video and let it go.

The next morning we saw a nice mature buck within 100 yards of where we saw this snake. I told him to make sure to shoot it in the shoulder so we would not have to track it in the brush.

Of course, he gets excited and …… shoots it in the heart instead.:rolleyes:

The trail was easy to follow - straight into the brush. He asked, “isn’t this where we saw that big rattlesnake yesterday?” Reply - “why, yes it is.”:whistle:

Thankfully, we found the deer quickly and not the snake.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned not many venomous snakes in the cold climate they lived in. I killed this rattlesnake a few years ago when we lived in Northwest Montana only 49 deg out. My dog discovered it under our deck, he was not barking like his normal self, something definitely got him agitated! From a distance, the rattling sounds like running water. I was thinking, naw, too cold out so when I went over and and put my eye up to the wood lattice to see, I was staring at a huge coiled up rattlesnake a couple feet way! Some 45 Colt snake shot dispatched him. It had 16 rattles. I didn’t eat this one but I have eaten rattlesnake. Tastes like a combination of chicken and fish to me or similar to frog legs maybe.

Since we relocated to South Central Oklahoma, I haven’t come across any venomous snakes yet. Funny, 49 degrees seemed nice out in Montana, I’d wear shorts, but here in Oklahoma I’d get cold! To the snake lovers, I’ve only killed rattlesnakes on our property, anywhere else I leave them alone!

IMG_2271.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s strange how some snakes come out when it’s cold. I caught a crayfish snake a couple of weeks ago ( yeah I didn’t know there was such a thing either) when it was 35 degrees out. He was coiled up in a sunny spot and maybe a foot away from his hole . The very next day I saw a cottonmouth almost in the same place and it was 40 degrees.

Most snakes are harmless, and the others, well, just don´t try to play with them :ROFLMAO:
This. Living in Australia and working in the scrub I regularly see Eastern Browns (2nd or third most venomous) which are very nervous snakes. It’s a meh. Leave ‘em be they leave you be. Just because they’re in the area doesn’t mean they gotta be killed. At least rattle snakes give you a warning :D

Here’s me with an eastern brown last year (releasing after a relocation) :)

IMG_0800.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned not many venomous snakes in the cold climate they lived in. I killed this rattlesnake a few years ago when we lived in Northwest Montana only 49 deg out. My dog discovered it under our deck, he was not barking like his normal self, something definitely got him agitated! From a distance, the rattling sounds like running water. I was thinking, naw, too cold out so when I went over and and put my eye up to the wood lattice to see, I was staring at a huge coiled up rattlesnake a couple feet way! Some 45 Colt snake shot dispatched him. It had 16 rattles. I didn’t eat this one but I have eaten rattlesnake. Tastes like a combination of chicken and fish to me or similar to frog legs maybe.

Since we relocated to South Central Oklahoma, I haven’t come across any venomous snakes yet. Funny, 49 degrees seemed nice out in Montana, I’d wear shorts, but here in Oklahoma I’d get cold! To the snake lovers, I’ve only killed rattlesnakes on our property, anywhere else I leave them alone!

View attachment 589319
What part of south central Oklahoma?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNek

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg