Round Chambered…or Not?

Be courteous.
Man, I tried to let that one go, but did not have the ability. Walking around Africa on a hunting trip with a loaded rifle is discourteous? Gotta be joking. Did I take that wrong?

I’ve spent many an hour in a duck blind, boat, brush with other hunters. Dove, pheasant, quail. I have no doubts in my ability to handle a firearm safely. Neither do the people I hunt with.

Unloaded rifle? Might as well give it to a tracker to carry

Man, I tried to let that one go, but did not have the ability. Walking around Africa on a hunting trip with a loaded rifle is discourteous? Gotta be joking. Did I take that wrong?

I’ve spent many an hour in a duck blind, boat, brush with other hunters. Dove, pheasant, quail. I have no doubts in my ability to handle a firearm safely. Neither do the people I hunt with.

Unloaded rifle? Might as well give it to a tracker to carry
Sorry, I had to rush off and close up that post quickly. Any time I'm hunting with strangers in a strange way (i.e. not solo), I'm showing them courtesy hunting next to them with an empty chamber. Hunting uplands with a round(s) in the chamber is pretty much essential. In most cases it is NOT essential when hunting big game. During the final stalk I will put a round in the chamber when hunting with PH and tracker. Last year I was surprised by this gemsbuck bull (PH and tracker were off to my left trying to locate a talkative herd of wildebeest). I shot at and missed this bull the night before and knew instantly he was a shooter. But my empty chamber was not ready. Loading a round from the magazine my 03A3 momentarily jammed. I was still able to clear it, close the bolt, and shoot the bull running in the neck.
20230817_093115.jpg

Back in 2019 I shot my first gemsbuck incoming on a full run twice within less than twenty yards. The first shot was chambered long before the shot was taken (we saw her coming a hundred yards off). But the second round also went through the heart in very rapid succession, no problem.
2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

It's not necessary for me to hunt big game with a round in the chamber. Sure, I do it when I'm hunting alone but when hunting with others I feel it is a sign of courtesy leaving my chamber empty and showing them I go the extra mile for gun safety. Shows I'm thinking of them more than myself = courteous ... + maturity.

Ain’t buying it. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing. Sure as hell don’t do that in Texas. Guess we ain’t too courteous. :cool:

Agree to disagree.

Sorry, I had to rush off and close up that post quickly. Any time I'm hunting with strangers in a strange way (i.e. not solo), I'm showing them courtesy hunting next to them with an empty chamber. Hunting uplands with a round(s) in the chamber is pretty much essential. In most cases it is NOT essential when hunting big game. During the final stalk I will put a round in the chamber when hunting with PH and tracker. Last year I was surprised by this gemsbuck bull (PH and tracker were off to my left trying to locate a talkative herd of wildebeest). I shot at and missed this bull the night before and knew instantly he was a shooter. But my empty chamber was not ready. Loading a round from the magazine my 03A3 momentarily jammed. I was still able to clear it, close the bolt, and shoot the bull running in the neck.
View attachment 606235
Back in 2019 I shot my first gemsbuck incoming on a full run twice within less than twenty yards. The first shot was chambered long before the shot was taken (we saw her coming a hundred yards off). But the second round also went through the heart in very rapid succession, no problem.
View attachment 606236
It's not necessary for me to hunt big game with a round in the chamber. Sure, I do it when I'm hunting alone but when hunting with others I feel it is a sign of courtesy leaving my chamber empty and showing them I go the extra mile for gun safety. Shows I'm thinking of them more than myself = courteous ... + maturity.

If you hunt in DG country I strongly suggest you hunt with a round chambered. If it hits the fan your PH may or may not be positioned to intervene.

View attachment 606235
View attachment 606236
An O3A3 JAMMED? I thought that was a controlled round feeder....OT, but I wonder if people have had more jams with CRF than with push feed--don't know.

I had one PH say to me, "No one will EVER walk behind me with a loaded rifle!" We were after plains game.

On all my hunts, round chambered once we're on the ground and chamber empty once back in the truck.

HUNTIN; BLASER, LOADED AND UNCOCKED. MARLIN 1895, LOADED, HALF COCKED AND HAMMER BLOCK SAFETY ON.
WALKIN ROUND TOWN; 1911, LOADED-COCKED-LOCKED

Interesting regarding so many people loading in DG areas…

My pistol, always loaded in kydex holster; pg hunting, depending on rifle, majority of time bolt semi-closed to first notch, not loaded though. If I hunt with someone and not walking in front, not loaded…

What is interesting though, is that trail guiding, in Big Five areas are majority unloaded bolt closed, only once you encounter a big 5 animal and situations seems to require it, are the rifles loaded.

IMO most people saying carry unloaded in DG have never had a buffalo that has recently been mauled by a lion charge, walked next to a river and had a hippo come barreling out of the bush or accidentally stalked into a breeding herd of elephant. Most would change their minds.

Not me my friend if it is a DG hunt. PG is fine. When I get off the truck on a DG hunt I inform my PH I am loading up with safety on always. I would not hunt with a PH otherwise
^^^ This. I will not hunt DG with an empty rifle, and have never been asked either. Usually load up once off the truck and unload prior to getting back to the truck.

Also, way too much noise loading the rifle to do it during the stalk, noise carries.

Now, on RSA game farms it might not be an issue as the animals are used to noise, probably will head towards the hunter expecting to get fed. ;)

^^^ This. I will not hunt DG with an empty rifle, and have never been asked either. Usually load up once off the truck and unload prior to getting back to the truck.

Also, way too much noise loading the rifle to do it during the stalk, noise carries.

Now, on RSA game farms it might not be an issue as the animals are used to noise, probably will head towards the hunter expecting to get fed. ;)
Actually, the three different RSA "game farms" (main one was 75K acres) I hunted PG on in 2022 had VERY spooky animals. They are hunted quite often and don't stick around very long to get shot. I have hunted elk many times here on DIY public land hunts that have never seen or probably even smelled a human. Once, I had a group of cows and spikes WALK right by me at 25yds. in the open while I was field dressing one of their buddies because they had no idea what I was. I had five bulls walk towards me once at 15 yds. before I moved so they saw me standing there in the open wearing blaze orange. They just walked back into the forest. I didn't experience any of that "tameness" with the PG animals I hunted in RSA. Maybe I was hunting on the wrong game farms? LOL
As far as having a cartridge in the chamber when hunting, I ALWAYS do. An empty gun does you no good for that ONE opportunity where you have 2-3 seconds to decide if that elk is a legal four point bull or if that cow isn't an illegal spike bull. Especially in dim light or in the forest shadows. My Browning A Bolt's safety locks the firing pin sear. The Remington 700 I used to take my animals in Africa doesn't. My PH had me with a loaded chamber but cock the bolt and then move the bolt up halfway. This prevents the rifle from firing. To fire, just lock the bolt down and pull the trigger. I didn't know that but it worked well. Learn something new everyday! LOL

Last edited:
An O3A3 JAMMED? I thought that was a controlled round feeder....OT, but I wonder if people have had more jams with CRF than with push feed--don't know.
First time in sixty years. It was only a momentary delay and I didn't take my eyes off the running gemsbuck so don't know what caused it. Jam probably is an overstatement. The shell hung up going into the chamber but as I recall it still fed and fired okay. I didn't lose my composure. No reason to. Just another gemsbuck. That gun fits me like a glove and I have been using pretty much exclusively for a very long time so no sweat.

If you hunt in DG country I strongly suggest you hunt with a round chambered. If it hits the fan your PH may or may not be positioned to intervene.
When we are after buffalo, a round is in the chamber.

Lets not dist all Canucks.

Every safari I ask and have done what the PH said. Every safari was round chambered weapon on safe, and always cleared and confirmed before entering camp. One I was actually told something like, "are you hear to shoot" stuff not normally standing around if you want your "list" filled. And some shots came supper fast, Antbear, civet, jackals come to mind. Even a daytime boar bushpig. If I had to chamber a round those may not be in my memory room today.

Being brainwashed 34 years in military weapon posture is ALWAYS stated to those around you. Round chambered weapon on safe, or mag in no round chambered. All PHs liked this confirmation. Same posture here at home, chamber loaded when walking, even if its only 10 ft to clear cut edge. Mag out and chamber empty on/in vehicle, quad, boat or truck, its Canadian law.

MB

Ain’t buying it. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing. Sure as hell don’t do that in Texas. Guess we ain’t too courteous. :cool:

Agree to disagree.
Ah yes, Texas. Wasn't that where "Trigger" Cheney shot his buddy in the face while quail hunting?

When hunting big game here and in Montana, a round is usually in the chamber. But I'm always hunting alone. In really rough country I will remove the round from chamber.
20221127_125646.jpg
20221127_125555.jpg

A bit different topography and environment than anything Texas has to offer.

I’ve hunted it. And Cheney was a Yankee

Ah yes, Texas. Wasn't that where "Trigger" Cheney shot his buddy in the face while quail hunting?

When hunting big game here and in Montana, a round is usually in the chamber. But I'm always hunting alone. In really rough country I will remove the round from chamber.
View attachment 606269View attachment 606270
A bit different topography and environment than anything Texas has to offer.
Hey, what happened to your scope? You didn't fall down a snow chute did you and lose the scope? I did that once with my .270 WINCHESTER M70 push feed. I banged up my elbows pretty good but I kept the rifle up when sliding down the chute. I think the lighter push feed action saved the rifle. LOL

Hey, what happened to your scope? You didn't fall down a snow chute did you and lose the scope? I did that once with my .270 WINCHESTER M70 push feed. I banged up my elbows pretty good but I kept the rifle up when sliding down the chute. I think the lighter push feed action saved the rifle. LOL
in the case.jpg

Scope was quick detached and stowed in my daypack. Weather was terrible as was footing. Empty chamber and iron sights for those conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FBYChristi

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)