Recommendations on European boar hunts

I’ve been on 8 European hunts now (mostly roe deer) the rental rifles are always high quality, typically Blaser with Swarovski illuminated scopes. I see no reason to attempt taking my own, except possibly to Spain because it’s easy there, but would make touring difficult.
Good to hear as my own rig would be Blaser with Swaro...no upside to traveling with it if the same stuff is available there with much less hassle. I've never traveled to a hunt without a gun and all of the airport considerations. That would feel like a luxury to me!

All European hunts are short by American or African hunt standards, usually only 3 or 4 days but highly successful.
This is actually a great selling point for me. Owning a small business makes it hard to get away for longer trips. I would like the option of shorter trips more often. I also need to PM you about the roe deer. That’s a huge interest of mine and much easier to find success than the driven boar hunts.

This is actually a great selling point for me. Owning a small business makes it hard to get away for longer trips. I would like the option of shorter trips more often. I also need to PM you about the roe deer. That’s a huge interest of mine and much easier to find success than the driven boar hunts.
I’ll send you a PM with more information than you probably want to know on roe deer hunting. I love roe deer hunting more than any other hunting. The good thing is depending on area and especially the spring hunts it can be easily paired with boars in the same area.

I welcome the info! I love watching the roe deer videos with Franz Albrecht and his friends. Those guys take roe deer VERY seriously. It's really interesting to me and there are many areas to travel and hunt roe deer in.

I have just returned to the US after several years in Germany, as well as hunting in Poland. This is my experience:

Re: teaching LtCol Cooper's rules, I always taught them in my classes. I cannot speak for others.

I have stalked and used the high seat in Poland. I have used the high seat and been on driven hunts in Germany.

Re: ASP (Afrikan Schweinpest, or African Swine Flu. It's a problem everywhere, even if it hasn't been found yet. Germany does not yet have a problem with it, but it has the potential of destroying the domesticated pig population as well. Hence the warning signs at the rest areas all along the Autobahn. Additionally, even in the high times of Covid lockdowns and curfews, I carried a letter from the Forstamt declaring that boar hunting was considered essential, and if I was out at night hunting, the curfew did not apply.

Hunting pigs is normally done at night, because the pigs are normally nocturnal. Night vision of some sort is encouraged, even if it's just a green flashlight and a large objective scope. There are two reasons for this: The first is Weidgerechtikeit, or respect for the animals. That is you need to see to ensure a good hit, which limits wounding animals. Night vision may not seem "fair", but pigs are becoming a problem, and while "culling" isn't what it's called, it is what's being encouraged. This encouragement has led to loosening restrictions on night vision devices. And, let's be honest: I'm using a high-powered repeating rifle using smokeless powder, premium bullets, and a suppressor. We're a bit past the spear with a flint point age, aren't we?

Driven hunts are normally scheduled towards the end of the season. The reason is simple: At the beginning of the season, the authorities will determine the number of animals the area can support, and how many must be removed. If the "goal" is not reached towards the end of the season, a driven hunt is used to try and increase opportunities to thin the herd.

As far as "over bait", from the German perspective, this is not "Weidegerechtikeit". At the same time, farmers need to be protected from damage. So plots are placed to lure the boars from the farmer's field... but one should hunt some slight distance from them.

Because boar are normally hunted at night, it is good to add them to another hunt. You can set a day hunt for roe or stag, and then boar at night. I recommend Poland as less expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlynRos

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!