PAST Shoulder Pad?

@PCC600 - I also like the ”Standing” type bench (when possible) and agree they can at least “double” the amount of rounds fired with minimal recoil affects.
But “40 Rounds” of .577 & .505 !! —- using a Hard-rubber-pad? You’ve got some damn tough shoulders (or the recoil rattled your Brain so much - You Lost Count !)
What I didn’t say was I then shot a 177 HMR rifle and honestly couldn’t hear or feel if I’d pulled the trigger . Weighing 280 pounds plus also helps when shooting the shoulder cannons .

What I didn’t say was I then shot a 177 HMR rifle and honestly couldn’t hear or feel if I’d pulled the trigger . Weighing 280 pounds plus also helps when shooting the shoulder cannons .
Seems like a terrific way to get a horrible flinch.

I use an Evoshield recoil pad / T shirt. A very thin pad that custom molds to your shoulder area. Works great.
Same here. Frequently out-of-stock, but very effective at reducing felt recoil.

Yes, I have one of the magnum ones, and have used it extensively while working with my 375 H&H. Once I transition to shooting off the sticks, I didn't use again. Good stuff.

I use the medium one at the range, it helps with heavy calibers.

Not hunting, it´s stiff and uncomfortable.

I use the medium one at the range, it helps with heavy calibers.

Not hunting, it´s stiff and uncomfortable.
I agree with @Nyati on this. The PAST Magnum pad works, but uncomfortable, for me, it rides up on the shoulder, and I have to readjust every couple of shots on the range. Also, as others stated, it is thick and affects the LOP, on some rifles affect the gun mount.

For a strap on pad, Limbsaver makes one thinner than the PAST, works as well or better. I didn't know about these, but my shooting buddy bought one for me and I really like it, my go to.

Browning also makes a pad, to be sewn into your shooting jacket, vest, or shirt called the Reactar.

I have a Reactar pad sewn into my thin, cotton shooting jacket, works almost as well as the Limbsaver strap on and comfortable. I also use it when bird hunting with my 12-gauge double. Gun mount is easy.

Definitely use a shooting pad for the bigger bores. When I moved up from .375 H&H to 416 Rigby, a shooting pad became essential equipment. I could go from shooting 4-5 rounds proficiently, to up to 20 rounds. That's just me, rifle fit, stock dimensions, powder charge, form all make a difference. A shooting pad always improved proficiency. And reduced the tendency to flinch.

Agree. Not useful when hunting but a help particularly off of the bench.

I ordered the magnum PAST pad and it is supposed to be here Monday or Tuesday. Well, I was in my local gun store Saturday afternoon and they had the regular ones so I picked one up, figured I’d give it a try. Took the 458 Win out for a spin this afternoon. I had the PAST pad on underneath a Tag Safari shooting shirt that also has a small pad and I could tell that setup helped quite a bit with recoil. I was able to get 3 shots off in quick succession with the thread protector and not the muzzle break. A tad high but very good left and right at 50 yards. This was not with the ammo I will be hunting with so I didn’t bother with making any scope adjustments. Hopefully the ammo I’ll be hunting with will come in this week and I can get it dialed in next weekend. Appreciate the input on the pad y’all, it really helped.
IMG_7386.jpeg

I have used a PAST pad often for training new shooters. I also use one myself if I am going to shoot a lot of rounds from a gun without a recoil pad. A steel buttplate on a milsurp rifle is a great reason to own a PAST pad!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoellenNis

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!