Of all the African game meat, which is your favourite? How would you rank them?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
As a north American hunter that's never tried African game meat, what's it like?

What tastes the best? the worst?

Are they comparable at all to any North American game meat.

I'm a huge fan of bison meat, how does cape Buffalo compare?

Last edited:
We really enjoy springbok, impala and these little sausages made from zebra.
We also love bison and our cape buff tasted nothing like bison but its unique and worth a try.

Most African wild game are good to eat, as long as it is cooked properly. Some of the best are eland (as long as bulls are not in the rut). Also desert type game like gemsbok and hartebeest are excellent. Sable meat is good also. Of the smaller animals, most are good to eat, particularly reedbuck. Nyala are also good. A lot depends on the condition of the animal, and if it is shot well and not wounded before killing.

My favorite African wild game offal dish, is actually flame grilled Impala liver. Among game birds, I absolutely find guinea fowl potjie to be heaven on earth.

The only African game which I absolutely disgust... are spurwing goose & waterbuck. A waterbuck, particularly an old one, has a very oily substance that gets in the hairs of the skin. When skinning the animal, great care must be taken to avoid getting the hair or oil on the meat. An old trophy bull does taste a bit strong, but a young waterbuck tastes quite fine.

Cape buffalo is coarser than bison and tougher. However, the tenderloin (or fillet) are excellent when seasoned simply with coarse grained salt and grilled over the open camp fire. Especially with an ice cold African Castle Lager to wash it all down with.

Most African wild game are good to eat, as long as it is cooked properly. Some of the best are eland (as long as bulls are not in the rut). Also desert type game like gemsbok and hartebeest are excellent. Sable meat is good also. Of the smaller animals, most are good to eat, particularly reedbuck. Nyala are also good. A lot depends on the condition of the animal, and if it is shot well and not wounded before killing.

My favorite African wild game offal dish, is actually flame grilled Impala liver. Among game birds, I absolutely find guinea fowl potjie to be heaven on earth.

The only African game which I absolutely disgust... are spurwing goose & waterbuck. A waterbuck, particularly an old one, has a very oily substance that gets in the hairs of the skin. When skinning the animal, great care must be taken to avoid getting the hair or oil on the meat. An old trophy bull does taste a bit strong, but a young waterbuck tastes quite fine.

Cape buffalo is coarser than bison and tougher. However, the tenderloin (or fillet) are excellent when seasoned simply with coarse grained salt and grilled over the open camp fire. Especially with an ice cold African Castle Lager to wash it all down with.
It sounds like plains game are the tastiest.

Aside from cape buffalo, do hunters eat the meat of other dangerous game? I'm curious to know what Elephant/Hippo/Rhino/Lion etc tastes like.

Oryx, eland, reedbuck, impala, the rest all sort of run together. Didnt care for springbuck, nor warthog. Bushpig takes like beef and was good.
Had buffalo, but must have been unremarkable as I dont recall it. I do recall having lechwe, and sitatunga in Botswana and both were good.
Had spaghetti made with gerenuk meatballs in Tanzania many years ago, it was good.

Oh and forgot another top choice, kudu. That is very good. Best I ever had was a big steak that my PH dropped right into the open pit fire, man that was good!

Worst? I have never had any bad plains game in camp. A good chef can make almost anything taste great.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the last night of our hunt we had a tenderloin cook off on the grill and compared the usual plains game- it was a good time and eland was the clear winner

If someone tells me there's something better than filet mignon of blue wildebeest, I will refuse to believe them.

52203650284_bd0fbcdbde_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudu is damn hard to beat. Eland is awesome, even the OLD rutting bull I killed. OLD bushbuck was not good at all. Buffalo, tough but tasty.

Aside from cape buffalo, do hunters eat the meat of other dangerous game? I'm curious to know what Elephant/Hippo/Rhino/Lion etc tastes like.
I have eaten hippopotamus and elephant. Elephant is a coarse meat, but not bad.

Hippopotamus steaks, I have found to be quite excellent and do eat them whenever I hunt one. The under belly (if ground up) is excellent with pasta.

In my limited experience (I haven’t tasted everything and what I’ve tasted I haven’t had enough) I think Eland is the best meat I’ve had. This includes feedloted prime beef! Nyala was wonderful too. I found Springbok to be tough but tasty. I‘d rather have wild game anytime over domestic meat.

Eland and springbok are my favorites. Lechwe from native environment is very good as well. Most plains game is very good. I wouldn’t be disappointed if I didn’t have to eat buffalo or bushbuck.

Very few individuals will eat lion or leopard. It would likely be a special plate made for client only on request. Hippo is good. Problem with elephant is really finding clean meat. The way it gets butchered and distributed makes it difficult to find meat to our standards unless you cut a piece off right away and cook right there.

Living in rural Alaska, I eat a lot of moose and caribou. A lot. I love both.

Every game meat I have had in Africa, I liked better than moose or caribou.

My favorite, hands down, was/is zebra.

Living in rural Alaska, I eat a lot of moose and caribou. A lot. I love both.

Every game meat I have had in Africa, I liked better than moose or caribou.

My favorite, hands down, was/is zebra.
I had a moose roast in Alberta once, it was awesome! Never had caribou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogelioCat

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)