Mauser Cracked tang repair

Tailypo

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Comercial Mauser Sporter in 8mm. The gun is in good shooter condition except for a crack in the wood stock near the rear of the receiver. Does anyone have any tips on how to repair or prevent the crack from getting worse. My plan was to hunt with and shoot the rifle often.

E89B79B0-DD57-492F-A575-6EB4F66686BC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently picked up a Comercial Mauser Sporter in 8mm. The gun is in good shooter condition except for a crack in the wood stock near the rear of the receiver. Does anyone have any tips on how to repair or prevent the crack from getting worse. My plan was to hunt with and shoot the rifle often.
I had something similar happen with my commercial Mauser action in .458 WM. A gunsmith friend of mine pulled the action from the wood. He used an epoxy to repair the stock and glass bedded the action to prevent the tang from re-splitting the stock. If you didn't know that the crack was there you would not see it. That was about 40 years ago and the repair is still holding up. I don't have a lot of need to shoot a .458 but I do take it out for target work and just because I want to. I used the rifle in August of 2022 to take another buffalo and everything still works great.

I may end up taking it somewhere to have that done. Does anyone know any reputable places in the Austin Tx area , or even going towards South Texas. Im just a little weary of taking it somewhere its one of my favorites in my collection now.

I may end up taking it somewhere to have that done. Does anyone know any reputable places in the Austin Tx area , or even going towards South Texas. Im just a little weary of taking it somewhere its one of my favorites in my collection now.
You might try Michael Ullman he is an ACGG gunsmith. He might not do repair work like that though.

Is the crack spreadable?
My suggestion will work a little better if it can. This is the crack running towards thr butt?
Get a drill that is long enough to drill far enough towards the butt but not let the drill chuck touch the top ot the stock where the action sits.
Drill back underneath where the tang sits back towards the butt much like a shotgun stock bolt.
Aim it so it goes through the middle of the wrist.
Make it just big enough to give clearance on some 6mm threaded rod. Maybe 100mm long?
Mix up some 2 pack epoxy glue or acraglas etc and dribble it into the hole and also coat the rod before fitting it to the hole.
The idea is to have the hole completely filled.
This is where you would want to try to flex the crack so some epoxy goes in there.
If it doesn't don't stress as thr rod and glues is strong.
Use some light superglue and apply to the crack. Refinishing would have to be done after this if it was too bad.
I must add you should use acetone or such to remove any oil from the tang area if you have to. Oil will muck all this up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWYJada061

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!