Loading data for the .450 Black Powder Express

miroflex

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
India
Hi all,

Has any member loaded the .450 3 1/4" Black Powder Express cartridge and is loading data available? From where can one buy the equipment and components? Are bullet moulds available for casting bullets? If not, is there any method of having a mould made?

Regards.

.450 BPE loads

Hello, New member here. First of all, do yourself a HUGE favor and buy this book: SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE by Graeme Wright. Buy the THIRD EDITION. that's important as it's crammed with so much more information than his earlier editions.

I've got an Alex Henry .450 3 1/4". Back action, hammers and a Jones Under lever I've found a great load for it, albeit a Nitro-for-Black one. It loves 48 grs H1498 and a Hornady 300 gr soft point. I know what you're thinking: the jacketed bullet will eat up the bores but I've found it just isn't so. That said, I still want to try cast bullets once I get a mould.

A BP load for all these BPE's is of course the Holy Grail, but I've found it frustrating to work up a really good load. Which doesn't mean I've given up on it, it just means I have to dedicate some serious time. I've got a few .500 BPE's as well.

Good luck with yours, and if you do find a good BP load Please share! By the way, could you share some details on your .450?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielSide

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone