Living in South Africa as an expat

Derek049

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Ive been looking into properties in South Africa for some time now. Im just looking to get in touch with someone living in country to find out the downsides as I'm sure there are plenty right now. Mossel Bay area has come up with some of my friends several times just as an idea.

Thanks

Swakopmund in Namibia outdoor would appeal to me far more. Or Henties Bay. House prices are incredible. I think however I would AirBnB first for a few months to see what life is actually like before I purchased something.

Hello guys,

Ive been looking into properties in South Africa for some time now. Im just looking to get in touch with someone living in country to find out the downsides as I'm sure there are plenty right now. Mossel Bay area has come up with some of my friends several times just as an idea.

Thanks
Hi Derek049

I live in SA in the Johannesburg area , not on the coast but can give you some idea of what to expect .
Under the current government we have many problems such as high crime rates , electricity load shedding , irregular water supply , failing infrastructure , corrupt state officials , etc - everything one finds in a third world african country , but we have a lot of good things too .
If you are relatively wealthy and are able to live in a more affluent area , drive a decent car , have a medical aid , etc one can have a good life here as long as you apply common sense , are vigilant and stick to the "rules" of living in such an environment.
If you buy a house here do the research about crime rates , for example many coastal towns have fairly low crime rates , and it can differ from residential area to residential area , you will have to invest in an intruder detection system , solar power system with inverter and batteries as well as have a water tank back up system , if possible a borehole will be ideal .
I have a few SA friends that have retired to coastal towns along the SA East coast and all of them are happy and live good lives , there are many beautiful coastal towns to choose from , all depends what you are specifically looking for . The coastal area near Mossel Bay is very nice and popular , but some towns are becoming a bit crowded now and in holiday seasons there is an influx of holidaymakers , but it is all relative .
There are also many nice towns down our West coast , but the climate , weather and landscape is different from the East coast , all depends what one is looking for .
I have heard of many ex-pats coming to retire in SA , and they all seem to be living an extremely good life here .
If you are relatively well off in terms of USD , Euros , British Pound , etc ( any currency that has a good exchange rate with SA ) then you can live like a "king" in SA .
I have worked with many ex-pats over the years and most of them have loved living in SA .
I hope this helps , I am sure some of my fellow countrymen will offer some good advice too .
Good luck with your decision !

Hello guys,

Thanks
Hi Derek,
Mossel Bay is truly one of the best places to live and to invest in, currently in SA. I live, work, hunt, travel between Limpopo, Musina ( Hunter’s paradise) and Mossel Bay therefore blessed with absolutely the best from North to South in South Africa. Welcome to DM me for more specific info about Mossel Bay and rest of Garden Route.
Ben
[redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Swakopmund in Namibia outdoor would appeal to me far more. Or Henties Bay. House prices are incredible. I think however I would AirBnB first for a few months to see what life is actually like before I purchased something.
Good advice on trying before buying. I would also vote for Namibia. It is sparse but much safer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CortneyVan

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone