AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zimbabwe
A tale of Dobin and his deception!

watermark.php

I used to hunt out of Chikwarwara on the Limpopo right across from the Kruger Nat Park, and we bought a donkey for live Lion Bait. We named him Dobin! He had a nice bell around his neck and we'd chain him to a convenient tree down on the river bed and set up a blind up in the reed bed about 70 meters away! Then we'd play the looney tunes and have the Kruger Lions come to investigate! Inevitably they'd find Dobin the moment he smelt them coming with the dinner bell ringing loud and clear! We'd then take the Lion!

Dobin became a veteran of 4 seasons! He also learned to lie still on the sand and I'm certain I could see him with one hoof covering that pesky bell in the sunset gloom!

At the end of the 4th season, Dobin, ensconced in his kraal deluxe with some female company for those warm summer nights was brutally attacked and sadly killed by a couple of very smart and vengeful Lions! They just killed all 6 donkeys and didn't eat one!

I found Dobins bell all covered in blood and teeth marks and kept it as a momento to a brave ass!

Then I had a stroke...........of genius! I used to take Dobins bell, tie it onto my belt and walk with impunity right up to the areas Elephant and Buffalo! The donkeys,cattle and their herders would walk amongst them without spooking them and so did we...until the first shot went off anyhow!! Then the sport started!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yinengyul5033

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.