Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Just kicking around ideas on what is the ideal rifle caliber and scope setup for leopard hunting. Experienced leopard hunters please chime in.

I shot my Leopard with a 300 win mag . Barnes 180gr Ammunition. He ran about 50 yards

Last edited:
No experience with a min mag.....

Over bait (as done in Zimbabwe or Tanzania or South Africa)- A telescopic sighted bolt action 7x57mm Mauser would get my vote as the acceptable minimum (not too high magnification). Loaded with 175Gr lead cored soft points (such as Hornady Interlock). A .30-06 Springfield with 220Gr Remington Core Lokts is an excellent choice. Or a .300 Winchester Magnum loaded with 200Gr Hornady ELD-X Red Tips. Aim for any of the rosettes behind the shoulder.

Over hounds/bushmen trackers (as done in the Kalahari)- An open sighted double rifle in either 9.3x74mmR or .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or .500/416 Nitro Express with lead cored soft points. My personal choice would be for a Heym Model 89B in .500/416 Nitro Express with 26" barrels, manual safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight. Loaded with 400Gr Nosler Partition factory loads. Here, you need a larger caliber rifle... because when pushed hard enough, the leopard will eventually charge.

Last edited:
I would look for something between .243 and .500 nitro that you shoot well with soft bullet.

Seriously, it doesn’t take much to kill a leopard. Shot placement is everything. .375 is ideal. A .300 mag also works where legal.

I think this is really a job for a bolt gun. Any good scope with an illuminated reticle and maximum power range of 8 to 12 will be fine.

.300 win mag will do the job, if I was goiing for my own.

Lon

Accuracy is everything, then a soft expandable bullet. Caliber not so much. I personally would not use a monolithic bullet (like the Barnes) they tend to go straight through instead of rapidly expanding and causing more shock.

The last thing you want with a leopard is a blood trailing job! The only leopard I have shot was with a 9,3x62 with woodleigh bullets. Went 10 yards after hitting the ground

Over bait (as done in Zimbabwe or Tanzania or South Africa)- A telescopic sighted bolt action 7x57mm Mauser would get my vote as the acceptable minimum (not too high magnification). Loaded with 175Gr lead cored soft points (such as Hornady Interlock). A .30-06 Springfield with 220Gr Remington Core Lokts is an excellent choice. Or a .300 Winchester Magnum loaded with 200Gr Hornady ELD-X Red Tips.

Over hounds/bushmen trackers (as done in the Kalahari)- An open sighted double barrel rifle in either 9.3x74mmR or .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or .500/416 Nitro Express with lead cored soft points. My personal choice would be for a Heym Model 89B in .500/416 Nitro Express with 26" barrels, manual safety, wide V backsights & uncovered ivory bead foresight. Loaded with 400Gr Nosler Partition factory loads.
booked in Moz to take mine over bait with my 30-06 with a fire dot Leupold variable scope with Nosler 165 grain quick expansion bullets

booked in Moz to take mine over bait with my 30-06 with a fire dot Leupold variable scope with Nosler 165 grain quick expansion bullets
That's one dead leopard I see in your near future. Noslers are excellent leopard bullets.

By the way, what happened to the .275 Rigby which you were planning on using ?

I’m booked for Tanzania in 25. Worked up a load using 180 Scirocco in a 300 Win doing about 2950fps. Using a model 70 with Leupold fire dot.

I’m booked for Tanzania in 25. Worked up a load using 180 Scirocco in a 300 Win doing about 2950fps. Using a model 70 with Leupold fire dot.
Will be devastating....

I have killed leopard with 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H & H, 416 Rigby and they all worked fine. I prefer a 300 Win Mag.

Gentelmen,full disclosure here. I don't know squat about hunting for a leopard, and please educate me. Wont some of these rounds just blow up and explode the cat, making it a nightmare for a taxidermist ?
With all due respect. David

Nope leopards are tough......

That's one dead leopard I see in your near future. Noslers are excellent leopard bullets.

By the way, what happened to the .275 Rigby which you were planning on using ?
You sir have a great memory!!! When my dad died he gave me his favorite rifle which is a Ruger 30-06. Nostalgia hit me and I want to feel him watching me as I take my leopard something he would have never dreamed of

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.