Large rifle primer availability

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
Any thoughts or info on why it is currently very difficult to purchase large rifle primers, while most others seem more readily available?

I picked up a brick of Ginex last week. Hopefully they are reliable.

From where and how much? I haven't purchased primers in awhile so not sure what is a decent price. There are some on GunBroker but the prices are all over the board.

I'm finally seeing a few large rifle but LR magnum are still MIA.

From where and how much? I haven't purchased primers in awhile so not sure what is a decent price. There are some on GunBroker but the prices are all over the board.
I suspect some of the hoarders got pressure from spouses over the holidays to come with funds for Christmas presents. As shelves start to refill I think many of those greedy bastards will switch to panic selling. Watch for some good deals at spring gun shows!

I think the demand has been for 9mm and 556 so the manufacturers focus has been on small rifle and pistol primers. I was able to get 200 (all they would sell) large rifle magnum (federal) primers recently from a local gun shop for $12.00 per hundred. I hope I can make them last until the price goes down. No Winchester primers anywhere here. Must all be going to military contracts?

This was up in Canada. $200 for 1000.

From the reports I’ve seen it’s getting tight again. Shopped around this past week and “out of stock” was the norm for powders and primers. I couldn’t find my two most used powders anywhere.
The only positive thing is I have found some excellent new loads out of necessity.

Depending on where you are things are going back on the shelves.

I was in a gun shop just before Christmas and they had more powder on the shelves than I've seen in 4 years. They had 5 shelves 20 feet long stocked with all kinds of powders including all that I burn.

Their primer selection left some to be desired with no cartons, just 100 count packs. Most of the primers were small rifle, but they had a few Federal 215's, Remington, and CCI's.

I also heard through the grapevine that another shop had all kinds of primers, but it was another 150 miles away and I don't need primers right now.

This was up in Canada. $200 for 1000.
Two years ago I had to pay $200 for two hundred large rifle primers. One place in Vancouver was the only location in the entire country that had any. I saw quite a few on the shelf of local gun shop this week but some kind of generic white package. Never heard of the brand name.

Shotgun primers are available again. Powder and shot not so much. Wads have always been easy to find. Probably because no one is shooting Russians with shotguns.

Two years ago I had to pay $200 for two hundred large rifle primers. One place in Vancouver was the only location in the entire country that had any. I saw quite a few on the shelf of local gun shop this week but some kind of generic white package. Never heard of the brand name.

Shotgun primers are available again. Powder and shot not so much. Wads have always been easy to find. Probably because no one is shooting Russians with shotguns.
Probably Ginex. That’s what I bought

I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but i made an insanely lucky find at the local gun show today (Frisco, Texas). The box shows that they've been sitting on someone's shelf for quite awhile, but everything on the inside looks great. Now let's just hope that they spark. ;-)

20240106_114224.jpg

Thanks. I got 1000 online with shipping, taxes, etc. for about 150 USD.
I’ve read that they are on the larger size, so I’m not sure if you use them once, will the pockets be forever over sized?

I just picked some up from my local shop/

I’ve tried some Ginex in recent times - they seemed fine.

I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but i made an insanely lucky find at the local gun show today (Frisco, Texas). The box shows that they've been sitting on someone's shelf for quite awhile, but everything on the inside looks great. Now let's just hope that they spark. ;-)

View attachment 578903

Well, the last case I purchased I paid 5X what you did. Good find and pickup!

Well, the last case I purchased I paid 5X what you did. Good find and pickup!
Thanks, and I'm honestly surprised that they weren't asking a hundred dollars more than that.

Govt/military seem to be sucking up most of the LR primer production. I found a guy with several cases at a local gun show and I bought 1000 Win LR primers for, IIRC, $95 or $100 about 3 weeks ago.

Midway had Fed 210's back in November for $99/1000. I was able to grab 2 bricks then. That's the last I've seen of LR primers. I was down to my last 200 WLR's when I snagged those. Come to mention them, I haven't seen 215's in quite some time....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarueHindw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.