Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Italy, Spain, Romania, Argentina, Texas
There are details below but I wanted to lead into this that this was a Chaomis hunt in Italy, but it was a unique adventure in that we spent a day visiting some local gunmakers and an engraver in the Gardone Val Trompia area, a little over an hour from Verona. We then moved on to small ski town (off season) which was our base to hunt Chamois for two days.

I cannot overstate how beautiful this area is with countless streams, waterfalls, lush vegetation combined with rugged rock country and even snow. All very stunning. Challenging hunt due to uphill and downhill hiking and steep angle shots (I live at sea level where it is absolutely flat). I think we ascended to approximately 6000 feet at the highest.

We hunted in the largest hunting area in Italy, Val Belviso in the Lombardy Region, approximately 45 minutes outside of the town of Aprica This is a managed game area of 11,500 hectares, managed by the concession owner employing private “Game Keepers” and others. This area is the biggest hunting area in Italy and I am told one of the biggest in Europe. Located in the Italian Alps, it is very near the border with Switzerland.

Did I mention how beautiful this area was? Anyway, some particulars below and then the three day adventure broken down chronologically.

Dates: Sept. 22-24th 2023
Animal Hunted: Chamois (x2)
Method of Hunting: Rifle (Rented PH's Blaser R-8 in 300 Win Mag w a Swaro 3.5 x 28)
Outfitter: This was my second hunt with Leone Rossi’s outfit, Italian Safari, regular DSC exhibitor. Their website address is: www.italiansafari.com
PH: Aloisio
Species Seen: Chamois and Red Stag. Mountain Pheasant (aka Black Grouse - I believe).
Lodging: Local Hotel
Food: Local Restaurants
Would Recommend to a Friend? YES!

GUNMAKER VISITS: This trip started with a tour of two gunmakers (Piotti and Fausti) and an engraver Pedretti.

Piotti makes custom shotguns and rifles, averaging 15 guns a year. They also work on client’s other guns of all makes. Hand crafted, very impressive and very nice folks.

Piotti 1 .jpeg

Piotti 3.jpeg
Piotti 4.jpeg
Piotti 5.jpeg
Piotti 6.jpeg
Piotti 7.jpeg
Piotti 8.jpeg
Piotti Exterior.jpeg

Fausti is currently run by three sisters and one of them gave us a tour, talked us through their line and also had me measured for any future shotgun purchases (I did not buy one this go around). Very personable and like minded folks.

Fausti 1.jpeg
Fausti 2jpeg.jpeg
Fausti 3.jpeg
Fausti 4.jpeg

The engraver, Pedretti, showed us some impressive stuff. Everything from traditional hunting scenes to receivers engraved to look like viper skin with gold overlay (the ultimate snakeskin wrap one might say), race horses, etc… If you can picture it they can engrave it. Another very friendly bunch.

Pedretti 1.jpeg
Pedretti 3.jpeg
Pedretti 4.jpeg
Pedretti 5.jpeg

And of course, if you are into wine this area of the world does not disappoint, the wine list one evening:

Wine List.jpeg

THE HUNT: This was a Saturday - Sunday hunt, the plan was to hunt Saturday all day, lunch in the field and same on Sunday.

I hunted again with PH Aloisio (Alo for short) and two local guides Paolo and Ivano who work for the concession owner. Alo and I met up with Paolo and Ivano at 730am on Saturday and drove for about 45 minutes, somewhat up the mountain to a trailhead more or less. We then started hiking up more. The weather was cloudy but not yet raining. We hiked for about 90 minutes more or less, spotting some Chamois on far ridges and sometimes between the bouts of fog. The fog added a suspenseful element to finding game which I enjoyed.

ValBelviso.jpeg
Day 1 Ascent.jpeg

Day 1 on Mtn.jpeg

Around 1000, after spotting several Chamois and even setting up on one but having to move off due to fog or the animal not being a mature male, we spotted a Chamois just below a ridgeline on our side that was coming in and out of view depending on the fog. They asked me if wanted to keep pressing on into the valley as it was early and skip this Chamois. I asked if it met our tag requirements of a mature male, and in general if was it a “decent one”. They replied affirmatively and I said “hell yes, let’s take it, now”. I set up and waited for the right moment.

When the Chamois finally turned broad side and the fog allowed, at 246 meters / 269 yards (adjusted for angle) I put a 300 WM round in him. Although clearly wounded he did run and I put a second round in him when he took a pause and it was over. Thankfully, from first shot to second it was no more than 30 seconds total, probably less.
Day 1 - Shot Lineup on 1st Chamois.jpeg
1st Chamois.jpeg
1st Chamois w Paolo and Ivano.jpeg
1st Chamois - Close Shot.jpeg

Everyone was pleased, we hiked up to him, took some pics and decided to then move to a very small cabin about ½ mile away for some lunch. I have to say this impromptu lunch in the mountains was a perfect fit after taking that Chamois late morning. We were all thrilled with the harvest and hungry. Paolo and Ivano made spaghetti, put out a spread of meats and broke out the local white wine and some beer.

Cabin from Front.jpeg
Cabin View.jpeg
Lunch Table Day 1.jpeg
Cabin Lunch and Visitor Log.jpeg

They even had me sign the visitor log. Honored.

As we finished lunch the weather turned. It started hailing with some rain mixed in too with plenty of thunder and lightning. After everyone gearing up with impermeable gear (jackets, gloves, etc) if you had it, we then started the hike back down. It was a situation where one misstep on the rocks or slick grass could mean an immobilizing injury. We joked that we were now “earning” that Chamois as getting the first one by around 1000 am was relatively easy. Thank God I had brought the right kind of boots and other gear for mountain hunting, while wet.

Day 1 Bad WeatherII.jpeg
Day 1 Bad Weather III.jpeg

Day 1 Hike Out.jpg

Day 1 ended with Alo and I back at the hotel by around 5pm. We were so glad I had chosen to take that Chamois early on as the rest of the day was not cooperative weather wise. We had made the best of a small window of opportunity.

Day 2 started with clear skies. We met up with Paolo around 830am and headed to a different area, adjacent to the one we had just hunted but still in the same reserve. This area was stunningly beautiful and the sunshine was in full force which was great.

Day 2 Sunrise.jpeg

Day 2 Hiking.jpeg
Day 2 Hiking II.jpeg
Day 2 Hiking III.jpeg
Day 2 Waterfall.jpeg
Day 2 Scenery.jpeg

Day 2 Shot Set Up, No shot.jpeg
Day 2 glassing II.jpeg
Spotting Scope Day 2.jpeg
Day 2 - Lake w Mountain.jpeg

After moving to several spots throughout the day with some opportunities that just did not work out for one reason or another, it was already approaching 630pm. I had pretty much accepted it was a one Chamois hunt which was fine with me as that is all I had planned on from the start. Due to an extra tag and the abundance of time we had been hunting today but that was all a bonus. Therefore, we hiked down to the truck and packed up. Paolo then said that we could drive just about 5 minutes down the mountain, hike about 10 minutes to where they have a “blind” for Red Stag but see Chamois on occasion. I told him “why not?” which I think was everyone’s sentiment.

We set up in the blind which overlooked a huge valley where you could see thousands of meters in about 180 degrees or more. After about an hour it started to get pretty chilly, light was fading and we had not seen anything but a bedded Red Stag on a hillside we were facing, but it was still very far and we could not hunt him anyway. We packed up and went back to the truck.
Day 2 Blind.jpeg
Day 2 BlindII.jpeg

While packing up the truck Paolo was still glassing and he spotted a Chamois on the hillside across from where the blind sits. We agreed to hightail it back to the blind and try. I set up and was ready but man, it was getting dark. This Chamois was coming in and out of view since he was tucked into the foliage, not out in the open. This added to it being a very dark shot, but I could make him out. I also asked for confirmation from Alo that he was seeing the same thing.

With the scope dialed out farther than I would normally in order to gather enough light, when the Chamois finally turned broadside I squeezed off a round and hit him at 220 meters / 240 yards. He fell to his knees where he was but was trying to stand up. I shot a second time and missed, just an inch or two below him. I then put a third round in him and it was over. Paolo kept telling me this one was older and had bigger horns, a really good one he kept saying. I am one of those types to be thrilled to have a representative animal, period, but if it is even better I’ll take it.
Day 2 Chamois, down valley.jpg
Day 2 Chamois, Close.jpg

We were all thrilled to end the hunt this way. It was completely dark very soon after this. It was deemed way too risky to try and retrieve the animal until the morning. It was dropping down into the 30’s F overnight night so this helped that decision. Paolo retrieved him the next morning early and even brought the field dressed animal by for Alo and I to see as we were packing up to leave.

Also, the game keepers took all the meat from this hunt to consume it. I was glad to let them have it. I will have both shoulder mounted in Italy and hope to have them about 6 months.

I returned to Rome, quickly ducked in the gun store / clothing store Armeria Frinchillucci and then had dinner at the outfitter’s house, (Leone) which was great. He made a point to serve Chamois salami and cooked Chamois in a sauce over rice. What better way to end the adventure?

Anyone thinking of this hunt that wants any more information from me please don’t hesitate to reach out, happy to help. Cheers!

Attachments

• Piotti 2.jpeg
    Piotti 2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 58
  • Piotti 4.jpeg
    Piotti 4.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
  • Pedretti 2.jpeg
    Pedretti 2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
  • Day 1 Bad Weather.jpeg
    Day 1 Bad Weather.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • Day 2 PM.jpeg
    Day 2 PM.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 59
BEAUTIFUL SCENERY!! Sounds like you had a great hunt, thanks for taking us along.

Wow I want one of those SxSs. Too old to hump those mountains any more. During the years I worked Kosovo, the high ground which pretty much surrounded the country were covered with herds of Chamois, Macedonia also. A hint to anyone interested in buying one of those rifles, and especially shotguns, they will all be at DSC, or at least have been in the past. Good Luck....

Great hunt report. Congratulations on your animals.

Really enjoyed all your photos and your trips to the gun makers.

Awesome report. I might have to go to Italy with my wife after all.

This is so cool, I studied in Italy about 45 minutes to an hour from Verona, if I only knew! Congratulations on two great animals!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

As the others have stated - congrats on a very fine hunt and such such beautiful country! Thank you for sharing.

Wow !!! What a trip. Fausti makes fine firearms.

My wife and sister-in-law are visiting our niece in Italy. I hadn’t planned on going, but after seeing this, I may have to tagalong

I’ve always wanted to do the Ducati and Ferrari tours. The level of craftsmanship in Italian products from boots to cars is impressive

If I go. I’ll have to add some firearm tours also.

Wow !!! What a trip. Fausti makes fine firearms.

My wife and sister-in-law are visiting our niece in Italy. I hadn’t planned on going, but after seeing this, I may have to tagalong

I’ve always wanted to do the Ducati and Ferrari tours. The level of craftsmanship in Italian products from boots to cars is impressive

If I go. I’ll have to add some firearm tours also.
The outfitter, Italian Safari also does all things travel wise in Italy. They can line up tours of just about anything, including Ferrari, etc... Just tell em what you would like. Your imagination and wallet are the limitations really. They do have hunting options all over the country, including Sicily too. Cheers

My niece lives in NW Italy in Vicenza. Just south of the mountains

That is where they are visiting

Outstanding journey.
Wonderful.
Thank you for sharing.
Italia - l'eterno desiderio di noi tedeschi
Foxi

Congrats, a great trip and two very nice chamois !

I have seen a good bit of the Italian northern alps, stunning is an understatement. Congratz! on two nice rams. I never thought about doing a gunbuilders visit. Will have to put that on the list for the next time visiting. Who did you setup and book your hunt with?

I have seen a good bit of the Italian northern alps, stunning is an understatement. Congratz! on two nice rams. I never thought about doing a gunbuilders visit. Will have to put that on the list for the next time visiting. Who did you setup and book your hunt with?

www.italiansafari.com

Outfitter name above, I cannot recommend them enough. They can customize your itinerary. Just let me know what you want. Any questions along the way, I am happy to help. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)