Is retiring to Africa a wise decision?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12486695/The-40-deadliest-cities-world-homicide-rate.htmlI found this article interesting. I agree you can't really compare SA to the US, but this is eye opening.
If the people in US would take measures like the people in SA crime rate in US would be cut to half.
Everybody who can afford are living behind electric fences, alarm systems, 24/7 security over there.
On top of that they have generators because power goes out 6-8 hours every day.
I know because my son is one of them.

The US has always had high murder rates. Those would not be cities on my short list as go to destinations. I would be interested to know if it is all new stuff or more an evidence of stability. Milwaukee seems to be newly extra crazy with cheese.

The thing that is worrying about the US, to me, is the collapse of institutions, and the rule of law. A lot of good decisions are coming down at this point, reversing over-reach from the last several years. But it is still something that people need to fight for, in the courts. Most westernn nations don't have a framework for appeals, or the status of their courts that the US does. Poling works pretty much at any scare, in fact, with honnest polls you can predict huge national events with a few thousand interviews. But courts are scale sensitive. You couldn't find any too many Canadians who could name a single justice on the Supreme Court here. It is considered such a prestigious gig that judges leave to sit on European/International courts.

A great show to watch for court case wins, at times, is the Barnes rundown most Sundays. I usually skip the intro, then watch the stuff that interests me. It is one of those deals where patrons get extra content at the end, which is often boring as it consists of people who fell asleep, asking about stuff that was covered in the main show. I am a supporter, but I could just watch it on Rumble.

Starts around 19:00

Helps to know the pill code: Blue is what you take to keep sleeping; Red is the one that jolts you awake into what is really going on; white is feel good news; black is dark news. Kids, can't understand 'em, can't live without 'em.

My wife and I have been looking into expat retirement in South Africa. We are considering a summer place on the Indian Ocean and a winter home in either Limpopo, Free State or Northwest.

As we get older neither of us like hot or cold as much. I know there are challenges in RSA but if you don’t think the same issues are coming to U.S.A. you just are not paying attention to current events.

Afrikaners have the advantage of having their culture, language, and livelihoods survive 40 years of attack. I fear the learning curve in the US wI’ll be steep.
I've spent a lot of time in SA and my son is currently serving a three year stint there for US government.
To make a long conversation short, you are mistaken and there's no comparison!

If I were to purchase a homestead anywhere in Africa, I'd go in with the mindset and be prepared to lose it all. From my view, the whole continent is unstable, has been unstable and always will be unstable.

This conversation has awoken some long buried memories

You have no idea what evil is until you have seen it’s eyes

Watched its shuffling gait as a crowd winds itself into a frenzy of violence

Watched some unfortunate staggering around with a tyre around his head alight with petrol

Seen your 3rd generation farm burn whilst you and your family run - its survival in the balance of a political motivated crowd

You own nothing in Africa that you can’t ultimately hold through force of arms

Why has/is everyone ‘taken or taking the gap’ ?

Move to Africa by all means…. But do so with eyes wide open !

Not all Africans are alike - but those at the top of the slippery pole are !

I’ll not talk of this again

Yes Geoff i see it on the news every night our premier " MISS PIGGEY " IS A LEFT W ING WOKE FOOL, fortunately THE YOUTH CRIME problem its limited to certain locations with large indigenous populations. I fear the Voice ,if it gets a yes vote, they will be out of controll i think there there will be a lot of corruption in the voting process. it makes my so angry to see the Fag from Qantas pushing the yes Vote.
I have a new nickname for her: B F (Bufo Marinus, aka Cane Toad). looks, and behaves like one ...

What medical procedures 'ought to cost" is a real bailiwick! It is my opinion that costs have gone off the rails because of insurance itself. No one ever thinks to ask "can I get a better deal' or shop another doctor! No, the insurance will pay therefore I don't care what it costs, and so now the normalized costs are higher than anyone without insurance CAN afford to pay with cash. The same will probably happen to auto repair charges given the new popularity of auto repair insurance."Nobody will care what auto repair costs soar to. If costs rise, heck if a percentage of (the now higher and higher) costs rise, soon we'll all be priced out.
Interesting point. Here in Australia, private hospitals are allegedly controlling what prosthetics are used, and how much is paid for them in conjunction with the insurance companies. E.G if you need knee replacement surgery your surgery might be deferred in favour of someone needing a different operation. "Public" Hospitals are under stress; insufficient surgeon numbers, nursing staff, even bed availability!

Well, the gun policies are pretty bad in both of those countries with all the restrictions and bans. I also think they have trophy import bans on various African species.
"Things" are going backwards here in Oz' almost total Left-wing governments in power...

Africa has a lot of problems but from what I have always heard and seen the best countries seem to always be Rwanda, Botswana, and Namibia. But Tanzania and Zambia seem to not be too bad.

Take this with a grain of salt, I could easily be wrong in this conclusion.

I would never leave American soil for South Africa. Avoid our big democratic run cities and enjoy your life.

Africa has a lot of problems but from what I have always heard and seen the best countries seem to always be Rwanda, Botswana, and Namibia. But Tanzania and Zambia seem to not be too bad.

I'm just being a prick but it seems hard to maintain that Rwanda is among "the best countries seem to always be".

I would never leave American soil for South Africa. Avoid our big democratic run cities and enjoy your life.
That has been true, but New York is trying to divert the firehose of migrants to exactly those parts of the country. And the US is in financial and energy stress, it feels a lot like the 20s when there was a lot of generated poverty across the country. Still probably the best bet globally.

No. Botswana......maybe.....the way I want to go anyway......RSA is going down the tubes.....
I was wondering when someone was going to mention Botswana. I guess not a lot of our members have hunted there? It’s the most stable and easy-going of the African countries that I have hunted. The PHs and other white people I saw that lived in Maun were very comfortable and travelled freely and without much worry. There’s lots to do near Maun. You can go north and west to the Okavango Delta or Chobe NP or the Moremi Game Reserve. You can go south into the Kalahari. The airport in Maun is easy to negotiate with connections to JNB or Gaborone. The hunting and tourism are fantastic.

I would put Botswana way ahead of SA.

Your top three and top five mirror mine.

I’ve spent my entire career advising high net worth retirees. I get questions like this a bunch. I don’t think people realize how much time they will actually have once they completely step away from work. Infrastructure and weather are big considerations, but none more than healthcare. Realistically subpar treatment and diagnosis for things like cancer or coronary heart disease can cut your retirement period in half. If you have the funds to retire comfortably in the states, I don’t see the need to uproot to a super remote location permanently. Most would be better served just downsizing their life domestically here in the states and allocating more time to travel and do the hobbies they love. Personally, as much as I love Africa, investing in a hunting operation as foreigner seems reckless. If your net worth is so high that it doesn’t matter, then knock yourself out. I could make the case there are other causes that could bring you a greater connection to the place we all love without having to turn it into a business venture. Just my .02

I'm just being a prick but it seems hard to maintain that Rwanda is among "the best countries seem to always be".

You might be right if I understand you correctly.

I have never been to Rwanda but from what I have seen and read it seems to be a good up and coming country in Africa. Everything I have seen and read could just be superficial but without going there myself that is all I have to go on.

I had done a lot of studying on Rwanda when I was in college when doing a business study to see if the country would be a good one to invest in or start a company in. Based on all of that I list Rwanda high on my list but until I get to go there and see the country this is all opinion.

You should go there and see what Rwanda is like.

Probably the prettiest country in Africa due to geography and rainfall. Also the cleanest. People actually pickup and throw away trash.

Is Rwanda without problems. Not at all. There are still issues, but when you look at centuries of hatred, conflict and racism between the Bahutu and the Watusi culminating in the genocide, then see what they have done in the last 30 years it is amazing.

The best thing Kagame did was limit NGO's. The UN, EU, USA, WHO, WEF, World Court, etc has limited access and power. The first world powers absolutely hate that they can't control Kagame or Rwanda, thus Rwanda has grown and excelled on it's own terms. Kagame is probably the best leader Africa has had since independence.

Is Rwanda a democracy in our sense of the word. No, think of Rwanda as being like Singapore or an Emirate. Rwanda has been on the highest trajectory in Africa in the past 30 years and it is still going. The big question is what happens when Paul Kagame dies. There will be a hand picked successor but true leaders aren't chosen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cmwkwarrwn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)