In memoriam - Zimbabwe Professional Hunter killed by enraged buffalo

I note no mention of gin trap or poaching or him being a professional hunter in that overtly politically correct press release.

Sounds like he was a great guy.
The information release came from the wife and family. Not the news media. There is a much more descriptive release from family that was present. If the family decides they wish to publicize more of the story then it is up to them.

This was not racially motivated, it was a crime that carries penalties. We are all on the same side on this issue of poaching.

Lon

On Wednesday a Zimbabwe PH lost his life to a buffalo. This was not related to a hunt.

The buffalo was found in a gin trap. The understandably enraged buffalo focused his anger on one person, a Zimbabwe PH who died of massive chest and head wounds.

At this time I do not want to publish the name. The information that I received was from one of several eye witnesses of the tradegy.

Lon
Very sad news. Deepest condolences to the family and friends.

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

His wife is coping well under the circumstances and is being well supported by friends and family. The plan is for a celebration of his life in early jan and burial on Sentinel, the land he so much loved. ....

I saw the sad message his wife sent out. He was looking for the buffalo as it had been seen dragging the gin trap on a front leg. He was going to put it down to end its suffering and danger to anyone who might bump into it.

Apparently, the buffalo attacked before he saw it and pummeled him terribly. He lived about 15 minutes, knowing he was dying. He died in his wife’s arms. Horrible tragedy for a man doing the right thing.

Condolences to his family.

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.
Yes, Rip Mr. Digby Bristow.

I saw the sad message his wife sent out.

Can someone please post/link the longer version, please.

A tragic consequence for a good person brought about by the actions of a selfish criminal. Condolences to family and friends. RIP

Just seeing this, so very sad. Prayer for him and his family.

What a terrible tragedy. Prayers and condolences to his family.

I was lucky enough to have spent some time with Digby...this was some very hard news to receive. It's been some years since I was last with him and his wife Vanessa, but you couldn't meet two better people who love and care more for the animals, people and the land they live on. I revered Digby as one of the last great explorers of Africa, he was quite inquisitive, even at his experienced age, and we spent nights pondering the mysteries of the universe...or days climbing sandstone canyons in search of artifacts, fossils or anything of curiosity. While he was an experienced hunter, an adventure with him could be about so many other amazing wonders.

Digby was more than just a PH, he was an amazing steward and advocate for the land that he lived on at Sentinel Ranch in the Mapungubwe region. He was an amazing historian, teacher and explorer. He fancied his mechanical hobbies and was always proud to show off his latest Land Rover that he had up and running. He also loved reciting quippy toasts to a small shot of Amarula over an evening campfire.

The sadness really sunk in for me when I heard the news and came to the realization that my children would not be able to meet him. He was a man that everyone should have met, and if you did, you immediately liked him. My kids were so close to this opportunity but sadly it wasn't in the stars. Digby will now live on in our memories and stories of him. Luckily, my children will get to meet his wife Vanessa (who I equally adore) in August and one of Digby's sons, who I imagine was much like Digby in his youth. Vanessa is a very strong woman, just as vibrant and capable as Digby and I imagine she and her son's will be okay and be able to carry forth Digby's legacy far into the future.

The world truly lost a good soul the day that Digby Bristow was taken from it. Peace to you Digby, rest easy my friend.

digby.jpg

I was lucky enough to have spent some time with Digby...this was some very hard news to receive. It's been some years since I was last with him and his wife Vanessa, but you couldn't meet two better people who love and care more for the animals, people and the land they live on. I revered Digby as one of the last great explorers of Africa, he was quite inquisitive, even at his experienced age, and we spent nights pondering the mysteries of the universe...or days climbing sandstone canyons in search of artifacts, fossils or anything of curiosity. While he was an experienced hunter, an adventure with him could be about so many other amazing wonders.

Digby was more than just a PH, he was an amazing steward and advocate for the land that he lived on at Sentinel Ranch in the Mapungubwe region. He was an amazing historian, teacher and explorer. He fancied his mechanical hobbies and was always proud to show off his latest Land Rover that he had up and running. He also loved reciting quippy toasts to a small shot of Amarula over an evening campfire.

The sadness really sunk in for me when I heard the news and came to the realization that my children would not be able to meet him. He was a man that everyone should have met, and if you did, you immediately liked him. My kids were so close to this opportunity but sadly it wasn't in the stars. Digby will now live on in our memories and stories of him. Luckily, my children will get to meet his wife Vanessa (who I equally adore) in August and one of Digby's sons, who I imagine was much like Digby in his youth. Vanessa is a very strong woman, just as vibrant and capable as Digby and I imagine she and her son's will be okay and be able to carry forth Digby's legacy far into the future.

The world truly lost a good soul the day that Digby Bristow was taken from it. Peace to you Digby, rest easy my friend.

View attachment 584960
Such a loss. What a wonderful tribute. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Sue

May God/Allah grant him peace in the afterlife. I can't imagine what his poor family must be going through. To lose a loved one (probably one of the main bread earners of the family) on Christmas time... of all times.

The poacher is the real culprit here. Not the unfortunate white hunter or the poor animal. That criminal should be strapped to a baobab tree trunk and thrown straight into the river, alive.

God Allah polytheism?

Very tragic. I feel very sorry for him and his family. No good words... I assume the poacher will probably never be caught. Hopefully the guy has a conscious, saw this on the news, and will regret it the rest of his days... even if he should go to jail...
A poacher turn himself in? You cannot be serious.

There is no poacher!!! Pure accident buffalo and this great man

There is no poacher!!! Pure accident buffalo and this great man
If the buffalo had been caught in a gin trap, which is not legal in Zimbabwe, there most definitely was a poacher.

A couple of weeks before my first safari in 1983, A worker at the ranch I stayed at was killed by a buffalo that had been caught n a snare. That death was also the fault of a poacher.

If the buffalo had been caught in a gin trap, which is not legal in Zimbabwe, there most definitely was a poacher.

A couple of weeks before my first safari in 1983, A worker at the ranch I stayed at was killed by a buffalo that had been caught n a snare. That death was also the fault of a poacher.
Very fair point and I stand corrected and my apology…you are correct!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychicshakurk

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.