In memoriam - Tanzanian White Hunter & Game Ranger Terry Irwin Passes Away

Hunter-Habib

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zambia , Namibia , Kenya , Mozambique , Zimbabwe
It is truly with a heavy heart that I regret to announce the tragic passing of retired Tanzanian white hunter and game ranger, Mr. Terry Irwin earlier this month.

I met him in Tanzania through a mutual friend in 2008 and we used to frequently correspond with one another via email and telephone over the years (at least five or six times annually).

Despite shooting his last elephant in 1969 & his final lion in 1987 and selling off all three of his firearms ( a .458 Winchester Magnum Mannlicher Schoenauer made to order for him in 1964, a .30-06 Springfield Remington Model 700 and a 12 gauge 3" Magnum Aya single trigger single trigger sidelock ejector side by side made to order for him) in 1993... Mr. Irwin remained highly involved in the hunting community all throughout his life. He was a regular contributor to Man Magnum magazine in South Africa.

Mr. Irwin was a true treasure trove of knowledge and he was always more than happy to correspond with any fellow hunter who would write to him. He gave me much highly appreciated advice regarding rhinoceros hunting (the only member of the African Big Five which I'm yet to hunt) and I will miss him greatly.

May God/Allah grant him Heaven/Jannat. And may he continue to hunt eternally in the happy hunting grounds.

He is survived by his daughters (amongst whom Beth was the one who informed me of his tragic passing). His legacy shall live on, in the form of his autobiography (Memoirs Of An African Hunter). As of this time of writing, I am in talks with a few of our mutual friends to have a second edition of Mr. Irwin's autobiography published (which has long since gone out of print). Hopefully, I will succeed soon.
FB_IMG_1678023861442.jpg

Mr. Irwin & A Rhinoceros Shot With his .458 Winchester Magnum Mannlicher Schoenauer (1968). This Rifle And Hand-Loaded Hornady 500 Grain Bullets (Supplied To Him By Visiting Clients) Exclusively Accounted For All Of The African Big Five Game That Mr. Irwin Ever Accounted For. It Now Belongs To A Spanish Client Of His.
received_2978790499029674.jpeg

Mr. Irwin’s Autobiography

Last edited:

Thanks HH for bringing this to our attention and Ivw for the link. I secured a copy of his book on eBay just now and look forward to reading more about this man and his legacy.

Sad news another big hunter's tracks will be blown away by the wind of time.

RIP

Thanks HH for bringing this to our attention and Ivw for the link. I secured a copy of his book on eBay just now and look forward to reading more about this man and his legacy.
My pleasure, Firebird. He really was one of a kind.

My sincere condolences and strength for his family.

Condolences to his family and friends.
May he R.I.P. in the happy hunting grounds in the great beyond.

Rest in Peace sir.

Sad to see him go. Good book to read. Irwin, Hunter, Nyschens, Selous, Stigand, Bell etc and all those who left us those marvellous records of times past that will never be repeated.

R.I.P.

Our condolences too...

RIP. Thank you for letting us all know.

It is truly with a heavy heart that I regret to announce the tragic passing of retired Tanzanian white hunter and game ranger, Mr. Terry Irwin earlier this month.

I met him in Tanzania through a mutual friend in 2008 and we used to frequently correspond with one another via email and telephone over the years (at least five or six times annually).

Despite shooting his last elephant in 1969 & his final lion in 1987 and selling off all three of his firearms ( a .458 Winchester Magnum Mannlicher Schoenauer made to order for him in 1964, a .30-06 Springfield Remington Model 700 and a 12 gauge 3" Magnum Aya single trigger single trigger sidelock ejector side by side made to order for him) in 1993... Mr. Irwin remained highly involved in the hunting community all throughout his life. He was a regular contributor to Man Magnum magazine in South Africa.

Mr. Irwin was a true treasure trove of knowledge and he was always more than happy to correspond with any fellow hunter who would write to him. He gave me much highly appreciated advice regarding rhinoceros hunting (the only member of the African Big Five which I'm yet to hunt) and I will miss him greatly.

May God/Allah grant him Heaven/Jannat. And may he continue to hunt eternally in the happy hunting grounds.

He is survived by his daughters (amongst whom Beth was the one who informed me of his tragic passing). His legacy shall live on, in the form of his autobiography (Memoirs Of An African Hunter). As of this time of writing, I am in talks with a few of our mutual friends to have a second edition of Mr. Irwin's autobiography published (which has long since gone out of print). Hopefully, I will succeed soon.View attachment 589205
Mr. Irwin & A Rhinoceros Shot With his .458 Winchester Magnum Mannlicher Schoenauer (1968). This Rifle And Hand-Loaded Hornady 500 Grain Bullets (Supplied To Him By Visiting Clients) Exclusively Accounted For All Of The African Big Five Game That Mr. Irwin Ever Accounted For. It Now Belongs To A Spanish Client Of His.
View attachment 589206
I got extremely lucky…I just found and ordered the above book in a signed first addition in good shape from Able Books

He is survived by his daughters (amongst whom Beth was the one who informed me of his tragic passing). His legacy shall live on, in the form of his autobiography (Memoirs Of An African Hunter). As of this time of writing, I am in talks with a few of our mutual friends to have a second edition of Mr. Irwin's autobiography published (which has long since gone out of print). Hopefully, I will succeed soon.View attachment 589205
View attachment 589206
May he rest in peace. I wish you success in getting his memoir republished. Sue

Rest in peace.

View attachment 589206
Well said Hunter - Habib, quite a testimonial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.