Hunt over water; Shoot from truck

I watched a uTube video recently of a group hunting buffalo in Uganda. It seemed to be a matter of driving around and spotting a herd of buffalo, dismount and shoot at not, to my eyes, close range.
Some of the shooting was poor, one buffalo shot just as it turned. Then as it ran with an obvious gut shot with the herd another shot that hit God knows what. We never knew what happened to that one.
Watching someone setting up with the hum of the LandCruiser‘s engine in the background made me ho hum about the whole affair. I suppose whatever floats your boat.
Definitely not my cup of tea to spend a significant 5 figure sum on. If I travel that far I want to work for it.

On my first trip to Africa, my PH told me to shoot from the truck several times, and I did. I was a bit in awe of the whole African hunting experience and just followed the PH's instruction; I guess I took the "When in Rome..." approach. It wasn't like they were close, easy shots but I soon realized that I was missing out on the full experience. Since then, I have rarely shot off the truck (as some have mentioned I've made exceptions for jackals, baboons, and the occasional bait animal).

With regard to waterholes, I've only done that on one trip and it wasn't by choice. We arrived in Limpopo to find that our PH had the flu. He was in bad shape and unable to do much. We ended up hunting from blinds at waterholes; he slept until we needed him to take a look at something. I definitely would not like to hunt that way again but having said that it was a great experience for animal watching. We had giraffes drink 20 feet in front of us, a group of banded mongoose came in, the variety of birds was amazing, etc. I took some of my best photos ever from the blind and got to really study animal interactions. The PH did get better toward the end of the week and the highlight of that trip was stalking bushbuck along the Limpopo River, If you have the chance, I recommend it.

Since that trip, I will often ask to sit at a waterhole in the heat of the day rather than returning to a lodge for lunch as many do. I don't plan to shoot anything, I just enjoy watching (unless it's blistering hot). Good luck on your hunt!

I watched a uTube video recently of a group hunting buffalo in Uganda. It seemed to be a matter of driving around and spotting a herd of buffalo, dismount and shoot at not, to my eyes, close range.
Some of the shooting was poor, one buffalo shot just as it turned. Then as it ran with an obvious gut shot with the herd another shot that hit God knows what. We never knew what happened to that one.
Watching someone setting up with the hum of the LandCruiser‘s engine in the background made me ho hum about the whole affair. I suppose whatever floats your boat.
Definitely not my cup of tea to spend a significant 5 figure sum on. If I travel that far I want to work for it.
I think I saw that as well but in the video I saw they were after some problem bulls that were terrorizing the locals. In that situation I don’t have a problem with it.

In the interest of full disclosure over the course of 8 safari's, I have shot two animals from the back of the truck. One, a wounded warthog that simply would not stand still long enuf for me to get out of the truck to finish off, that was in Bostwana in 1990.
The other on my most recent trip in Namibia a few years ago. We were just getting ready to head back to camp near dusk, my boy and I were sitting up in the high seat behind the cab, when a duiker jumped up and ran across the road in front of us.
Duiker being on my list and having no good chances at a shot as yet, I took the shot over the roll bar and got him.
I can live with both decisions but it is certainly not my preferred method.

I can see shooting from the truck for those that go on South Africa farm hunts where one shoots X species of animals in X-Y days. Almost impossible to shoot that quantity by spot and stalking.

It all depends on one's personal preferences and goals.

Ridge Runner: I let my Grandkids follow tracks in the Snow - they love it and they “Never lose the trail”….they must be Highly Skilled !! As far as tracking on dry ground — they can follow my tracks on a sandy Beach too, if they ever learn to follow “scent” - I’m gonna sell my bird dog !
I wouldn't sell the dog off yet, you'll be wanting his/her company in the blink of an eye.

Kids grow up (way too fast), they first start out following you around wanting your attention and sharing your interest, then suddenly they are in high school where they find a much find a much more interesting new hobby....chasing the opposite sex, soon they leave home either get married or go to college, start a carrer, have kids, and just like that those wonderous years are now fond memories, while new hunting and outdoor adventure memories with your kids are few and far between.

But there is a bright side. Now you have grandchildren to teach, make, and share hunting and outdoor memories with.

All the while your dog has been there with you, with you to help fill those periodic voids in life, making and sharing hunting and outdoor adventure memories with you.

Tracking is a very fine tuned art......
Tracking animals is one thing.....unwounded is ok wounded is again a different ball game....
Tracking is not only about following tracks....it is far more complex than that.....
Tracking humans is again a different ball game.....
The ultimate goal is to track faster than the track is being laid otherwise it is a fruitless excercise.....

Ok, here’s something you don’t see every day, two does pointing a dead bobcat I shot about 15 minutes prior. Literally locked up like a pair of bird dogs! Not sure that adds anything to the conversation, but there ya go…

View attachment 595066
When I lived in Texas and CT rattling antlers during the rut was like a guarantee for my buck and so exciting. priceless

I think it’s lazy and disrespectful behavior. It’s a great way to cheapen the experience for the hunter and bank more trophy fees for the operator.

However, it’s not going to stop. Especially as so many clients are easily manipulated into believing the diesel stalk is just how African hunting is conducted after shopping a budget safari experience with lots of cheap, ‘representative’ animals.

It would be great if operators and clients would keep that garbage off social media platforms and YouTube. It inflicts a lot of harm towards the sustainability of the Africa hunting industry.

Speaking about elk-deer. Vehicle trailer to trail head. Horse to hunting camp. Horse or foot to hunting area. Spot and stalk, track glass, take a nap awake & take another step back into nature. All proper all ethical.

Lon
Lon, I did a horse back hunt for black tail deer and black bear years ago and it was a great experience. Had a blast and I blessed on that hunt, 4 hunters and I was the only one to get a shot at anything. I took a good black tail and a representative brown phase black bear.
I pray you are feeling better and are on the mend.
God bless, David

I think it’s lazy and disrespectful behavior. It’s a great way to cheapen the experience for the hunter and bank more trophy fees for the operator.

However, it’s not going to stop. Especially as so many clients are easily manipulated into believing the diesel stalk is just how African hunting is conducted after shopping a budget safari experience with lots of cheap, ‘representative’ animals.

It would be great if operators and clients would keep that garbage off social media platforms and YouTube. It inflicts a lot of harm towards the sustainability of the Africa hunting industry.
Agreed but sometimes the client is the problem.....I hunted with a Texan half my age who took 15 minutes to get off the LC.......he could not walk 150 yards......Sad state of affairs......

The only time I've ever hunted from a vehicle was my first and only African PG hunt in 2022. We were hunting in the mountains and the second morning of my hunt, I slipped on some loose rocks and fell from a standing position through a bush and broke a rib and jacked up my entire upper left thigh muscle. We still hunted that day for several hours until I went to the hospital where they confirmed the break, but I couldn't walk without locking my left knee for three days. Anyway, the PH put a cooler on the ground and I managed to use my right leg to get into the back of the bed of his Hilux and then crawled to the roll bar. I would pull myself up and onto the bench seat and the tracker handed me my rifle. I shot a cull impala and a gemsbok from the truck. Not proud of hunting this way for three days but I wasn't going to stay at the lodge. I told my PH if I had to crawl to a shooting position off the truck I would do it but luckily I didn't have to. Other than a sprained ankle once, I had never suffered an injury in 32+ years of big game hunting here. Shi** happens I guess.

The only time I've ever hunted from a vehicle was my first and only African PG hunt in 2022. We were hunting in the mountains and the second morning of my hunt, I slipped on some loose rocks and fell from a standing position through a bush and broke a rib and jacked up my entire upper left thigh muscle. We still hunted that day for several hours until I went to the hospital where they confirmed the break, but I couldn't walk without locking my left knee for three days. Anyway, the PH put a cooler on the ground and I managed to use my right leg to get into the back of the bed of his Hilux and then crawled to the roll bar. I would pull myself up and onto the bench seat and the tracker handed me my rifle. I shot a cull impala and a gemsbok from the truck. Not proud of hunting this way for three days but I wasn't going to stay at the lodge. I told my PH if I had to crawl to a shooting position off the truck I would do it but luckily I didn't have to. Other than a sprained ankle once, I had never suffered an injury in 32+ years of big game hunting here. Shi** happens I guess.
Did you heal up okay eventually? When are you going back?

Due to his fat arse I forgot to mention.....
I think I saw a photo of him with dead lion floating around the internet. The guy was HUGE. Must weigh at least six hundred pounds. He was outfitted in fancy safari duds but I don't think they were Abercrombie & Fitch. Maybe Omar The Tent Maker. And his blonde trophy bride. Wow, she was a doll. He must have lots of money ... or a big wart in an opportune location. That guy couldn't hunt from a Toyota ... unless it had a crane attached and a stack of overload springs.

The fact that you are even asking this question tells me that you want to get the most out of the experience. Since it’s legal across most or all of South Africa and likely other places, you can certainly do what feels right to you. It is NOT legal in most of America, so that should give you some indication of how it is viewed in a more “free chase” oriented country. That being said, there are definitely concessions that want to maintain the most wild and fair chase experience by never allowing firearms hunters to shoot from (or near) vehicles or from blinds at water holes. Those places are my preference, but it is ultimately up to you. The number of days you have to hunt, the number of species you hope to take, and density of animal populations will also be big factors. Book as many days as you can afford, then take your time trying to take your animals by more challenging methods first. Many concessions will encourage the hunting from a vehicle, because it will provide more kills, in shorter time, with less work, but if you don’t want to hunt that way, it’s really your hunt and don’t let them railroad you. This is why it’s best to ask these questions before you book.

It is much like fly fishing. Fly fishermen are on the upper end of the “quality of experience” and “fair chase” scale, while they mostly see bait fishermen on the other end of the scale, with lure fishermen somewhere in between. Hunting is just that; trying to outsmart an animal, overcome its defenses and get close enough for the kill. Shooting wildlife from a truck is more a shooting sport and less a hunting sport. That’s why some prefer bowhunting more than firearms hunting, it is just that much more difficult to overcome their defenses at very close ranges. It’s all degrees of how challenging you want your hunt to be. Hunting on foot will be much more challenging. The animals will be MUCH more wary of hunters on foot than they will in vehicles. I guarantee you will feel prouder of the animals you kill stalking than you will those animals you shoot from a truck or at a waterhole with a firearm. Bowhunting is different in my opinion, with regards to water, but since you don’t indicate that you bowhunt I won’t address that.

As was mentioned previously, there is not much “hunt” involved in shooting from a truck where others are driving and spotting the game, and not much of a story to tell later. You will have much more colorful memories and stories for those animals taken on a stalk, but it does take a little higher skill level and more field time to be successful as well. If you start out stalking and aren’t having much success, you may need to change hunt methods. However, I doubt that you will ever regret shooting any animal on a stalk and wish later that you had shot it from a truck or blind!

The fact that you are even asking this question tells me that you want to get the most out of the experience. Since it’s legal across most or all of South Africa and likely other places, you can certainly do what feels right to you. It is NOT legal in most of America, so that should give you some indication of how it is viewed in a more “free chase” oriented country. That being said, there are definitely concessions that want to maintain the most wild and fair chase experience by never allowing firearms hunters to shoot from (or near) vehicles or from blinds at water holes. Those places are my preference, but it is ultimately up to you. The number of days you have to hunt, the number of species you hope to take, and density of animal populations will also be big factors. Book as many days as you can afford, then take your time trying to take your animals by more challenging methods first. Many concessions will encourage the hunting from a vehicle, because it will provide more kills, in shorter time, with less work, but if you don’t want to hunt that way, it’s really your hunt and don’t let them railroad you. This is why it’s best to ask these questions before you book.

It is much like fly fishing. Fly fishermen are on the upper end of the “quality of experience” and “fair chase” scale, while they mostly see bait fishermen on the other end of the scale, with lure fishermen somewhere in between. Hunting is just that; trying to outsmart an animal, overcome its defenses and get close enough for the kill. Shooting wildlife from a truck is more a shooting sport and less a hunting sport. That’s why some prefer bowhunting more than firearms hunting, it is just that much more difficult to overcome their defenses at very close ranges. It’s all degrees of how challenging you want your hunt to be. Hunting on foot will be much more challenging. The animals will be MUCH more wary of hunters on foot than they will in vehicles. I guarantee you will feel prouder of the animals you kill stalking than you will those animals you shoot from a truck or at a waterhole with a firearm. Bowhunting is different in my opinion, with regards to water, but since you don’t indicate that you bowhunt I won’t address that.

As was mentioned previously, there is not much “hunt” involved in shooting from a truck where others are driving and spotting the game, and not much of a story to tell later. You will have much more colorful memories and stories for those animals taken on a stalk, but it does take a little higher skill level and more field time to be successful as well. If you start out stalking and aren’t having much success, you may need to change hunt methods. However, I doubt that you will ever regret shooting any animal on a stalk and wish later that you had shot it from a truck or blind!
Yep. Last trip to Africa I only shot three animals to bring home, all of which I already had taken several times. Still had a great time. Another buff was the only critter actually on the menu ... sort of. And I never got a shot. Second day hunting that property it became clear the owner was allowing hunters to shoot from vehicles. Animals would spook at the sight of the truck two miles away. Thereafter, we parked at the gate and walked miles into the property. Weather was perfect so I didn't mind (though I think the PH was not happy). We saw lots of animals of all kinds every day once we stopped driving. I didn't shoot anything but still had a great time. And I didn't have to pay thousands in trophy fees. And the tracker was able to turn in early when we got back to the lodge. The PH was paid his daily fee no matter what. A win win all the way around. Maybe the taxidermist and shipper lose out but those guys will get their pound of flesh from someone else.

Go with that attitude and you'll be relaxed and have a good time. Don't worry about shooting stuff in a hurry. Chances are it will happen anyway. Relax, go for a stroll, and enjoy the birds and flowers if nothing else.

I don’t think I would ever want to hunt over water or salt in a blinds ( except for crocs), or shoot hippo in water/ turtle hunting style , but would probably go with the flow if a kudo or hog was holding still if seen in the vehicle ( imo a truck full of people is a unstable shooting platform)

Due to his fat arse I forgot to mention.....
When I worked a couple seasons in an Idaho elk camp, one of the return hunters was a very affable, likeable nearly round fella. About 5 foot tall and 5 foot around.
The boss would put him on the stoutest horse we had to take him out to the field and I was riding behind him one day and after about an hour the horse just collapsed under this guy, it was hilarious, he rolled off the horse, struggled to his feet and just laughed at the whole thing with everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaribelSha

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg