Hunt over water; Shoot from truck

That's what suppressors are for :)
Joke aside there are some horses trained for that.
I had a horse that would get jumpy at just the smell of fresh fired gunpowder. Getting my gun back in the scabbard required some patience. She was okay packing out meat if it was wrapped.

Great question and I’ve read lots of great answers listed above. I'm in the same boat as many, the truck deal is 100% up to you IF it is legal where you will be hunting. There are a good number of species such as the night critters and smaller predators that will be truck hunts.

So think of how you want to experience your trip and also ask the honest question to yourself about it. Like you said if that Kudu you have dreamed about just steps out will you ever be back? will you think back and kick yourself for taking the shot? That one is 100% on you man and I wouldn’t let to many people sway you from your own thoughts. You sound like a guy that wants to have an experience and like a ethical hunter just for asking the question don’t over think it to much.

Now as I read another comment some outfitter pressure clients to shoot everything from the truck and that’s just no fun you don’t get a real African experience that way and if the game on the place is extremely wild you know that’s what has been done. I’ve been places that I didn’t 100% like how it was ran and did have some thoughts of hmm why did we do it this way or why is it done this way, but I’ve been places that we have hunted hard, had lots of fun and just happened to get a shot from the truck at something or took a cull animal not once did I ever think about it.

Great questions, it makes it seem like you truly care how things are done.

Good luck on your upcoming trip I can’t wait to see how it goes and read some stories from the trip.
Cheers,
Thank you, McKenzie!

PapaPaint: to your question ”Preference or Sportsmanship” it think they are one and the same, everyone defines their own idea of Sportsmanship although There are some common agreements. Assuming the ”law” allows shooting from a vehicle - it is personal choice. Now, my opinion: I would NEVER shoot anything from a vehicle (unless it was attacking the vehicle and safety was involved) …even if it was a World Record animal and totally legal - I would Not shoot from a vehicle because it would take away from any feeling of satisfaction or joy I would have (but I would ‘hop out’ and try to establish an opportunity). Hunting over water? I might be ok with that especially if it was “a natural water source”. I have hunted Mule Deer and Antelope out West and was often near stock tanks (water) but hard to avoid them because there is at least one every mile or so, they are important for cattle and also help the deer & antelope — it’s a legal and generally accepted practice for bow hunters (or anyone) to hunt near or over stock tanks - I’m fine with that but it could be a borderline compromise of some hunters “ethics” But recognize this - hunting on most ranches out West involve being near “stock tanks” and they are a part of wild animal travel patterns and a reason for their “home range” so the influence of “stock tanks” is a factor and only the distance the Hunter is to them can be controlled. I’ve also sat on a tank per guides recommendation and never saw anything = BORING !!
Thank you, HankBuck!

I respect everyone’s individual way they choose to hunt as long as it’s legal.
In Africa I have hunted from the back of a truck during a large cull operation(200 springbok, impala, zebra) all females. It was good trigger time but more work than I anticipated as all meat was used.
Other than that it has been a combination of back of the truck until we see the animal or identify a track we want to go after then spot and stalk style. I have never hunted a waterhole but find that no different than hunting a food plot from an elevated stand/blind of which I’ve done hundreds of times.
To each their own…stay safe, take a kid hunting, and have fun!

HH
Thank you, HH!

The terrain often dictates the hunting style. I did a good bit of Spot and Stalk/Shoot in Botswana...but it wasn't possible on a couple of properties that were dead flat and super thick. You had to stand on the truck to see over the bush and down into it in order to shoot. I tried getting off the truck and walking and it wasn't viable.

I don't see that as an ethical issue overall. Where I can, I prefer spot and stalk. Where I can't...we hunt as the terrain dictates.
Lockingblock: you mention that you don’t see hunting/shooting from a truck as an “ethical issue overall” and cite an example where did shoot from a truck but only because of thick “bush” and “walking wasn’t viable”. I understand it is not your “preferred method“ and can see the position that you were in. This may sound harsh and judgemental but “ethics” don’t change due to circumstances and missing out on some opportunities because it would violate your ethics - is part of adhering to an ethical standard. No one is perfect, least of all me and can’t be certain when I might violate my own “ethics” but I will know it when I do.,..will I admit it?? Maybe

There are places where you can’t hunt from the ground…it’s just too thick and flat. Historically, you see Safaris using elephants to hunt tigers in tall grass…. There was nothing unethical about it then or now.

There is a difference in using the truck because the terrain requires it vs using the truck because someone is lazy.

I guess it all comes down to what You want!
When I get my crack at it it won’t be from the back of a truck.
In my eyes it’s just selling the entire experience short. You have saved your ass off to get out to Africa and then you shoot your animal from a truck?
In a similar vein shooting your prize on the same day you arrive!
For me it’s the track and stalk which is the experience that I’m after. I more than understand the distance involved as well as the terrain that can be encountered. But I’d rather go home empty handed than not enjoy the full experience that I’m looking for.
You really must talk to your PH and find out what is expected between you and them! That way neither will be disappointed or come away disillusioned.
My dream trip would be to make good friends of the PH and staff while having that old world experience of tracking and getting in close. Dreams are free but it’s my dream.
So I work my ass off and stay fit. I know how hot it gets in the Kariba basin same goes for the Laungwa. Which are the areas I want to go back too.

There are places where you can’t hunt from the ground…it’s just too thick and flat. Historically, you see Safaris using elephants to hunt tigers in tall grass…. There was nothing unethical about it then or now.

There is a difference in using the truck because the terrain requires it vs using the truck because someone is lazy.
Lockingback: if you were hunting a top an Elephant - that would be a more interesting conversation….but you stated you were in and shooting from a Truck. Opinions vary as to whether that’s OK - You may think so and hunt as you like, if it does Not bother you or detract from your feeling of accomplishment (and it is Legal) then it is “right for You”.
It is Not right for Me and some other Hunters. This is “ethics” - there is rarely a clear and universally accepted definition of ethics. I understand why you can justify it and I’m Not critiquing you or implying that you did something wrong. There isn’t going to be 100% agreement on this - it’s up to the individual Hunter to decide.

Shooting from the truck or over water is generally "not sporting", but, we are in Africa, and well, there are some exceptions.

I was hunting a very large property in RSA, and told the PH I was interested in warthogs, so, no problem, TIA, part of the property is for photo safaris, but there is a place... phone call and we meet the guides on the photo part of the property, we reached a large field of tall grass, where we could just see movement of the grass, and now and then a warthog would show up its head.

I had to shoot from the bakkie to get a vantage point, otherwise I could not see them. I had a silenced .223, shot two very nice pigs, but then quit, as it was just too easy. Still a satisfaction to hunt in a photo safari area. :ROFLMAO:

Another safari, we vere driving a straight path, when a huge female decide to get in front of us and run straight away, my PH slammed on the barke and said take her, she´s huge, Texas heart shot, and I did. Guilty.

On this property, the Oufitter was raising boer sheep, and had problems with a hyena, trying to steal them. One evening after we had finished hunting, we went by the sheep enclosure, and there was our hyaena, strutting along the fence, he slammed the bakes and told me shoot, shoot, and so I did. A nice brown !

And then come helicopter hunting... not for trophies, but to get rid of nuisances such as jackals and baboons, you use a shotgun with AAA loads, and with a good pilot as I had, it can be a great experience.

I've seen a guy use a lumber rack on his pickup. He had a platform that extended over the cab, but also came back along one side so he could also shoot two guys primarily off the side. It extended a foot or so outside of the rails that ran the length of the bed but only about 1/2 the width of the bed. The guys sat on tall stools and shot side by side.. like a really tall bench.

I’ve been blessed with 64 years of hunting many species in many places, not nearly as many as others here but still, quite a bit of hunting and, after 7 safaris to 3 countries in Africa and taking over 30 species in Africa alone, using everything from a .22-250 to a .470NE, I have taken all but 2 by stalking. I now feel that taking a shot at anything approaching or over 100 yards is “shooting “ as opposed to “hunting” which, in my opinion, involves a carefully planned and executed stalk and a careful shot. In the past, I have taken Kudu, warthogs, elk, moose, springbuck and others at ranges up to and exceeding 400 yards, but now, I get the most pleasure hunting everything with my Krieghoff .470NE. A bit more challenging but a lot more fun. I must confess that my Krieghoff is fitted with a Trijicon, which makes accurate shooting easy.

With Sitatunga and R. Lechwe, Hippo and croc, you'll likely be hunting over water! Yes, you can get most on land (esp. hippo, croc and lechwe,) but in-water shots are the norm as it's their natural environment. A happy medium would be to take them on islands surrounded by water-you can say you proudly bagged 'em on land! :) I've seen some hunts where the shooter is in a fairly unstable mokoro (dugout canoe) shooting at lechwe (and others)-that's incredibly exciting, sporting and difficult! The truck-save that for your friend's exotics ranch in TX if that's your thing. Do it at night if you like. All kidding aside, IF you're highly immobile (old and/or handicapped,) I have NO issue with it! Also the cull and/or varmint hunts, no problemo. Have at it! I was once offered a deal to cull plains zebra on the cheap (I referred to it as an African woodchuck hunt and was very excited and wanted to climb up a water tower platform using my .338 A-Sq. Charles Whitman-style, I guess!?) He wanted to drive around and pile 'em up. It's not for me. There should be some Sport involved. You can also stalk zebra with a rifle. I just wanted to demonstrate the performance of this behemoth round at varying yardage (460 Wby case necked down to 338-essentially the previously standardized wildcat of the 338-378 Wby.) Also, that Sitatunga shot may be 300, 400 yds or more and that requires the right stuff!

Last edited:
The limitations are what you put on yourself or have others influence you. Tell you my experience. I shot two of my animals off the back of a safari vehicle. I shot 4 others stalking on the ground.
The two shot off the truck was after a long day of stalking with no shots. On the way home, an animal presented itself only about 75 yds from the vehicle. I felt I worked hard for the animal and did not care that the opportunity came this way.
I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. As the old saying goes:
"Never look a gift horse in the mouth."
I'm not talking about riding around as the method. I'm talking about the incidental occurrence.

The limitations are what you put on yourself or have others influence you. Tell you my experience. I shot two of my animals off the back of a safari vehicle. I shot 4 others stalking on the ground.
The two shot off the truck was after a long day of stalking with no shots. On the way home, an animal presented itself only about 75 yds from the vehicle. I felt I worked hard for the animal and did not care that the opportunity came this way.
I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. As the old saying goes:
"Never look a gift horse in the mouth."
I'm not talking about riding around as the method. I'm talking about the incidental occurrence.
That’s a very good point. If I worked hard all safari at trying to get my animal and then on the last day on the drive home one popped up……himmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.