How Dung Paper Is Helping Elephant Conservation In Kenya

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

• Since 2014, Kenya's elephant population has almost doubled, with poaching incidences declining.
  • A community-owned project that makes paper out of elephant dung is also contributing to their conservation by avoiding cutting trees.
  • So far, the biggest threat to elephant survival is climate change.

Mwaluganje Elephant Sanctuary chairperson Salim Mwanyongwe is a happy man. The reserve he helps run is increasingly being recognised as a conservation success story. And so is one of the ecotourism experiment's most important economic activities: the production of elephant dung paper.

"The processed product is sold in Nairobi and exported to neighboring Tanzania. The facility is community-owned, and the entire income generated goes to the community. Most of the country's paper made from dung comes from here," Mwanyongwe said of the product, which is produced from elephant dung recovered from the area's roads.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Wiping the shit off with shitty paper. Sounds like a novel concept? Not really. That stuff has been around for a long time. I've been finding it in truck stops and bus stations for the last fifty years. The blind TP dispensers are a fairly new concept. Man, I hate those! But better than their predecessor dispensers that unloaded 3"x3" sheets one at a time. Arrgh! I remember seeing one of those dispensers in a gas station washroom that had a bullet hole in it.

Last edited:
I seriously don’t think an elephant along the Tana river is going to care if it’s 115 degrees instead of 111 degrees. That is if there are any elephants left there.

I seriously don’t think an elephant along the Tana river is going to care if it’s 115 degrees instead of 111 degrees. That is if there are any elephants left there.
I think the vegetation he needs to eat might be more sensitive to the temperature change.

I think the vegetation he needs to eat might be more sensitive to the temperature change.
My point was more along the lines of when something doesn’t go the way many want they blame climate change, they can’t grasp the reality the climate has been changing since there was climate.

Always read with caution. Fake news can be anywhere.
As per:
An investigation into ivory trade in the UK

By international fund for animal welfare.
(this should be reliable source)

We have:

Kenya: From a high of 275,000 in the late 1970s, its elephant population fell to just 20,000 in 1989. The population has still to recover from this massacre, now numbering only between22,000 and 29,000.

Link

So this is 7% of former healthy population.

As per above article we have:
  • Since 2014, Kenya's elephant population has almost doubled, this with poaching incidences declining.
Who knows were are we really now? If the 20k, was the worst low, can we say it is 40.000 population now? (14%?)

However, I went a step further and went to check what online AI will say.
I will qoute mr all-knowing AI:

According to the most recent estimates, Kenya is home to approximately 34,000 elephants. These majestic creatures are found in various national parks and reserves across the country, including Amboseli National Park, Tsavo National Park, and Maasai Mara National Reserve.

In conclusion, after ban on hunting in 73 and 77, Kenya now "manages" 12.3% of its former elephant population.
More over, they lost entire population of white rhino. The last white rhino of kenya died few years ago. Wilderness is devastated and most probably majority of elephants is kept in national parks.

In national parks elephants and other animals are protected by armed rangers, and saving population by collecting dung, brings my doubts.

Attachments

• asset_upload_file236_12046.pdf
    765.1 KB · Views: 32
Something rarely talked about is how food production/yield has sky rocketed with all this “global warming.” The amount of people starving has dropped tremendously as the earth has “warmed”. You have to dig through the crap to find it, but it’s there.

Last edited:
It has been estimated that about 5.1 million excess deaths per year are associated with non-optimal temperatures. Of those, 4.6 million are associated with colder than optimum temperatures, and 0.5 million are associated with hotter than optimum temperatures.

Now that the term "global warming" has been largely disproved they have simply changed the term to "climate change" so they can include wetter or dryer climate and colder instead of warmer. Manipulating "science" to fit the agenda instead of the other way around.

Now that the term "global warming" has been largely disproved they have simply changed the term to "climate change" so they can include wetter or dryer climate and colder instead of warmer. Manipulating "science" to fit the agenda instead of the other way around.
And these nut jobs will NEVER let facts get in the way of their agenda!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TobiasStor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.