93marlin

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, Harbor Springs OD club, OGCA
Hunted
United States & Canada
One of my double rifles is marked on the side plate "T&L Pryce" the barrels are marked "T&L Pryce Rifle Works" on the left barrel and the right barrel "27 Loveday St Birmingham"
It's very well made with a hand filed rib and doll's head extension, carved fences, toe and heel plates.
It's been carried a LOT! Checkering on the splinter forend is worn smooth. As is the checkering between the toe and heel plates.
I've been trying to find out anything about T&L Pryce Rifle Works but nothing so far.
Anyone here on AH have any information?
IMG_20201018_110715764.jpg
IMG_20201018_110727187.jpg
16611129883322312815918303364670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t help I’m afraid but nice rifle, good luck in your research !

Thompson & Lewelyn Pryse. They were a gun shop in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) during the mid to late 19th century (closing up shop in 1903). They had their firearms made in Birmingham to their specifications (just like Lyon & Lyon, R.B. Rodda & Co. and Manton & Co. did for the Indian market).

Your rifle (a breech loading back action hammer Jones patent rotary under lever .500 Black Powder Express designed to take a charge of six drams of Curtis & Harvey’s #6 coarse grain black powder & a 440Gr lead bullet to produce 1900fps) was built between 1879 and 1889. Mettford style rifling. Also offered in .400 Black Powder Express and .450 Black Powder Express.

Last edited:
Thompson & Lewelyn Pryse. They were a gun shop in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) during the mid to late 19th century (closing up shop in 1903). They had their firearms made in Birmingham to their specifications (just like Lyon & Lyon, R.B. Rodda & Co. and Manton & Co. did for the Indian market).

Your rifle (a breech loading back action hammer Jones patent rotary under lever .500 Black Powder Express designed to take a charge of six drams of Curtis & Harvey’s #6 coarse grain black powder & a 440Gr lead bullet to produce 1900fps) was built between 1879 and 1889. Mettford style rifling. Also offered in .400 Black Powder Express and .450 Black Powder Express.
THANK YOU Hunter-habib! I hoped that someone would be able to help with just this sort of information! You have an amazing wealth of knowledge!
My hand load is loaded to 1900fps and it regulates great at that speed. Now I know why.
Thank you again!

THANK YOU Hunter-habib! I hoped that someone would be able to help with just this sort of information! You have an amazing wealth of knowledge!
My hand load is loaded to 1900fps and it regulates great at that speed. Now I know why.
Thank you again!
My pleasure, Son. Keep me in your prayers too. I got myself a double rifle of my own (a .600 Nitro Express) today. Will start regulating it from October after I source a stock of reliable ammunition for it.

My pleasure, Son. Keep me in your prayers too. I got myself a double rifle of my own (a .600 Nitro Express) today. Will start regulating it from October after I source a stock of reliable ammunition for it.
I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts and hearing about your experiences.
May I ask who made your 600 nitro?

I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts and hearing about your experiences.
May I ask who made your 600 nitro?
Oh, @Red Leg and me were just getting down to wrapping up that mystery. It was made in Suhl, Germany. Definitely pre 1934. So far, we have it down to either Simpson or Sauer. Beautiful old thing. Uses what we call a "Clamshell Action".

Oh, @Red Leg and me were just getting down to wrapping up that mystery. It was made in Suhl, Germany. Definitely pre 1934. So far, we have it down to either Simpson or Sauer. Beautiful old thing. Uses what we call a "Clamshell Action".
Sorry, I meant to write "Simpson or Schuler".

Oh, that sounds like a very cool rifle! I've seen photos of the "clamshell" action. The design is interesting to me. It's unusual!
And yours, being German, is even more fascinating to me.
My other double rifle is a Sauer from the mid 1890's in 11.2x60r.

This forum is fascinating! I am amazed at the knowledge that is shared by its members!

If its a clamshell action August Schuler in 600NE you've hit gold.
Red Leg is more inclined towards it being an August Schuler than a Simpson. I was always sure that Red Leg knows his stuff, but as more and more time is going by … I’m beginning to think that he’s right about it being a August Schuler.

Red Leg is more inclined towards it being an August Schuler than a Simpson. I was always sure that Red Leg knows his stuff, but as more and more time is going by … I’m beginning to think that he’s right about it being a August Schuler.

Well, you've gone to one of the highest authorities on such matters that I know. The only two guys that are in the same league as our friend @Red Leg are Dietrich Apfel and the German Patent Guru (Reimey?) that hangs out on the doublegun website.

An August Schuler Clamshell would be the optimal answer for you financially speaking if it is true. Any 600NE is rare as hell, but that would be the most prestigious maker I can think of in Germany to associate with such a gun. Fingers crossed a reference number in the locks or under the barrels can pinpoint it back to him for your benefit.

If you can and are willing, would you care to share some photos?
I for one am really interested in seeing it!

Well, you've gone to one of the highest authorities on such matters that I know. The only two guys that are in the same league as our friend @Red Leg are Dietrich Apfel and the German Patent Guru (Reimey?) that hangs out on the doublegun website.

An August Schuler Clamshell would be the optimal answer for you financially speaking if it is true. Any 600NE is rare as hell, but that would be the most prestigious maker I can think of in Germany to associate with such a gun. Fingers crossed a reference number in the locks or under the barrels can pinpoint it back to him for your benefit.
Schuler, Sauer, and Heym (maybe others) all built clamshell actions at some point early in the last century. There is some evidence a couple of Austrian makers built them, but I suspect they sourced Suhl actions. In any case, those rifles and drillings went out under their name but also to the trade. They are always fairly rare. This gun is marked on the rib as marketed by Rhoda. Elsewhere on the barrels is a made in Suhl inscription. I have not seen the flats which might give us a date code. Barring a giveaway Hercules or other mark, Schuler seems the most likely candidate only because I know they built at least a few .600's. One of the three I have seen was a Clamshell (musselverschloss).

And what I know about German firearms would fit in Dietrich Apel's ear plug container. :oops:

Schuler, Sauer, and Heym (maybe others) all built clamshell actions at some point early in the last century. There is some evidence a couple of Austrian makers built them, but I suspect they sourced Suhl actions. In any case, those rifles and drillings went out under their name but also to the trade. They are always fairly rare. This gun is marked on the rib as marketed by Rhoda. Elsewhere on the barrels is a made in Suhl inscription. I have not seen the flats which might give us a date code. Barring a giveaway Hercules or other mark, Schuler seems the most likely candidate only because I know they built at least a few .600's. One of the three I have seen was a Clamshell (musselverschloss).

And what I know about German firearms would fit in Dietrich Apel's ear plug container. :oops:

Well, it seems its a double-whammy of good fortune anyway? Rodda retailed gun potentially by August Schuler on a clamshell action in 600NE? Yeah, those are common enough.

I'd love to see it. I'd love to own it too. @Red Leg if you could please source me one of the same in 577/600 Rewa in your spare time that'd be swell.

Well, it seems its a double-whammy of good fortune anyway? Rodda retailed gun potentially by August Schuler on a clamshell action in 600NE? Yeah, those are common enough.

I'd love to see it. I'd love to own it too. @Red Leg if you could please source me one of the same in 577/600 Rewa in your spare time that'd be swell.
Yeah, they sure are common!! NOT!!!
Its a true work of art.
Rodda, Schuyler, 600NE, Clamshell, VERY seldom seen if ever before and always appreciated!!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful and extremely rare double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joniparker

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.