Hats on safari

I like a Stetson mountain sky crushable. That’s what I’ll be wearing again in September on my tuskless cow Hunt in Zimbabwe.

I also generally wear a cowboy hat anytime I’m working outside, which is pretty much all the time lol. I picked the crushable felt for easier travel on the plane and I was concerned that a stiff straw hat would make noise catching on brush. Where the felt/wool would be quiet. Don’t know if it makes a difference, but that was my initial reasoning lol.
View attachment 605503View attachment 605504
Agree my man. I like a hat that holds its shape better, but use a soft brimmed hat for travel.

My favorite Stetson.

1715611592792.jpeg

A late friend of mine who was very much the Brit in Africa sort never wore a pithy. So I quizzed him as to why and he said 'the wife thinks I look like a dickhead as it is'.
Kevin,

Who makes the best pith helmet?

Here’s the type we looked up in the US Navy supply system, and ordered. They worked great while working in the sun. We wore UDT’s, boots and Pith helmets. Quite the fashion statement

Attachments

• Pith Helmet, US unissued New Pith Hat 1960s - Omahas Army Navy Surplus.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 10
How is something like that Akubra hat in 90f / 33c + temps?
That’s a mild summer day here. Plenty of people wearing a felt Akubra in summer but there are some who say they are hot.

That’s a mild summer day here. Plenty of people wearing a felt Akubra in summer but there are some who say they are hot.
I really like the 4" brim and pinch front crown of the Akubra. I have a similar looking Stetson that can be dreadful to wear in temps above 75F. I also have a Filson Packer Tin Cloth that traps the heat in the summer. Crazy how hot these things can get. I'd never bring either of them to Africa.
1715644142273.png

As a Rigby Influencer, I am up for that challenge. With the proper amount of spirits and conversation applied, I am sure we can have you in that new Rigby very soon! And I will throw in the hat! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Safe hunting

I hate you...

:D :D :D

My favorite current hat is a brown Optimo Mundo. It is crushable. 100% beaver felt. I’ll likely bring it to Africa this September. And I’ll have a standard baseball style hat, which is what I mostly wear when hunting.

Texas, Montana, etc, you all have some nice cowboy hats. Optimo is more city that country, but they make fantastic hats. I have a few of them, including a monticristi that goes with me to trips that include ocean and fishing.

Attachments

• Collection - Optimo.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Kevin,

Who makes the best pith helmet?
Melville and Moon are the SA suppliers and they also retail through Safari and Outdoor in Johannesburg, stellenbosch and Pretoria. I think Safari Supplies (?) carries their range in the USA. They come in a light colour and brown, the brown is better for the bush.

The earlier ones came with a cloth covered headband like this. Later ones have a vinyl leather band which sweats a lot. So wrap around that toweling used for tennis racket handles.
The chin strap is very useful, just flip it down when needed.

I wore a Tilley hat on safari in Kenya.

They're expensive but worth it IMO. Indestructible, comfortable to wear and despite the (breathable) manmade fabric, they still have a traditional, 'great white hunter' look.

Cheap cotton imitations are ok but tend to get hot and heavy on the head IMO.

Pith helmets will probably get you laughed at...even by WW2 these were going out of fashion...it used to be the custom to buy them in Aden when heading east, then throw them into the Suez canal on the way back

I wear a wide brim hat on most of my outdoor adventures not because it's fashionable, but because I take care of my skin.

Two years ago I had MOHS surgery to remove a large patch of skin cancer from my right temple about the size of a quarter. Not especially painful, but it did leave a nasty scar.

Every time I visit my mother in Florida, it seems at least one of the elder men in her community has recently had some skin cancer surgery, and often it's not pretty.

Take care of yourselves gentlemen, and that means you skin too. Proper ear protection, eye protection and sun protection should be considered essential for any sportsman.
IMG_20231003_120406928_HDR.jpg

I prefer a brimmed hat like I was wearing here:

IMG_0547.JPG

If you don't care if your PH considers you a "dude", get one with a zebra band!

DG 162.jpg

In full sun, my ears and face will get blistered in a baseball cap if I don't use sunscreen, but I always bring one...

DG 088.jpg

Come on CoElkHunter!

You know I got that little feller in 2021 in Mozambique.

It may have been part of the forum's most notorious threads...

Boonie hat for waterfowl, and used it in Namibia. Light, durable, never found it hot in the sun. Just the right brim width and angle for me to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Obviously I need hunter orange for deer hunting in Ontario. Ball cap or toque depending on temperature.
20240514_230107.jpg

I wear a wide brim hat on most of my outdoor adventures not because it's fashionable, but because I take care of my skin.

Two years ago I had MOHS surgery to remove a large patch of skin cancer from my right temple about the size of a quarter. Not especially painful, but it did leave a nasty scar.

Every time I visit my mother in Florida, it seems at least one of the elder men in her community has recently had some skin cancer surgery, and often it's not pretty.

Take care of yourselves gentlemen, and that means you skin too. Proper ear protection, eye protection and sun protection should be considered essential for any sportsman. View attachment 605780
My wife is a botanist and did a London diploma in making skin care creams. She makes a special one based upon kigelia, which is common, but hers has about four other ingredients, one of which is rare and damn expensive, I know I pay for it! Anyway it almost magically gets rid of skin cancer when it first starts, literally in days. No more liquid nitrogen for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yinengyul5033

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!