Game List

mdsalern

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sure there are lists other places, but I thought I’d share mine. Please help me fill out anything I missed.

Big 5

Leopard.
Lion.
Elephant.
White Rhino
Black Rhino
Buffalo

Dangerous 7

Hippopotamus
Nile Crocodile

Spiral slam

Kudu
Eland
Bushbuck
Nyala

Springbok slam

Common
White
Black
Copper

Blesbok slam

Common blesbuck
Copper blesbuck
Yellow blesbuck
White blesbuck

Tiny 10

Common/Grey Duiker
Red Duiker
Blue Duiker
Cape Grysbok
Sharpe’s Grysbok
Steenbok
Dik-Dik
Klipspringer
Oribi
Suni
Vaal Rhebuck

Impala
Black Impala

Gemsbok

Zebra
Mountain Zebra

Sable
Roan
Sitatunga

Black Lechwe
Kafue Lechwe
Red lechwe

Giant Forest Hog
Bongo
Lord Derby Eland

Bontebok

Baboon
Baboon – Chacma

Black wildebeest
Blue wildebeest
King wildebeest

Bushbuck
Bushpig

Caracal
Hyena – spotted
Jackal

Giraffe

Mountain reedbuck
Red hartebeest
Reedbuck – common
Tsessebe

Warthog
Waterbuck

Your tiny ten have 11. The last one in not part of the tiny ten.
There are more Impala and more zebra, and Eland, and wildebeest subspecies.
Other African countries have certain species puku and lesser kudu to name few.

Thank you.

I saw Vaal Rhebuck on enough Tiny 10 lists that I went ahead and included it. Better to get 11 than to not have it covered.

I’ll add Puku, Lesser Kudu, also Golden Wildebeest, East African Impala, Cape Kudu.

There are like 27 sub species of Bushbuck alone. You’re also missing the Maasai specific animals

I believe I read once that there are 170+ species of huntable Plains Game. I think the African Hunting Gazette had a poster of them or something if I remember right from a copy I read at Afton House earlier this year.

The SCI World Hunting Awards, Animals
of Africa category, recognizes 177 hunts or so huntable species without including the Zebra species, or giraffe species (I don’t know why). Some of those species are admittedly in places you may not be able to hunt anymore, and some places you can hunt are very difficult to do so, but it’s a very good list in total. Just Google SCI World Hunting Awards and you’ll find it.

Most “Tiny 10” type lists are (somewhat understandably) bias towards South Africa or at least southern African species. Between the pygmy antelope, dik-diks, forest and bush duickers there are actually about 37 huntable “Tiny” species. I am currently sitting in a hotel room in Nairobi Kenya starting a safari in the Karamoja region of Uganda where I’m hoping to take a few of the East African tiny species including a Guenther's dik-dik.

I think there are about 44 huntable species in South Africa alone (lists vary depending on how you account for things like Audad, Fallow deer, etc.).

SCI Diamond level ‘Animals of Africa’ award (if you care about such things, I find it
to be a good planning tool( requires 80 of the huntable 177+ species from defined categories. Very few people are ever able to do it (think Weatherby Award winners), and guys like Rick Warren, Corey Knowlton, Jim Shockey, Craig Boddington, etc. It’s very difficult.

In the end, hunting is a deeply invisible pursuit. Each of us does it for our own, personal, reasons. I enjoy the travel, time with my wife and kids, and the challenge. Sometimes it’s just getting there that is the adventure. We each have are own “lists.” I know a lot of exceptional hunters that only have 1 species on their “list,” usually whitetail deer (there are actually 19 huntable subspecies of whitetail), or elk (there are actually 3 huntable subspecies in NA) for Americans or Roe deer (2 huntable subspecies) or Red deer (at least 6 huntable subspecies) Europeans.

There are a lot of lists, and a lot of hunting available in Africa and around the world. Practice your shooting a lot, plan well and have a great time!

I’ll be in Uganda.

Add nyasa wildebeest,
Brown hyena

Full spiral slam, without subspecies.
Nyala
Greater Kudu,
Bushbuck,
Common Eland,
Lesser Kudu,
Sitatunga,
Lord Derby Eland,
Bongo, rain forest,
Mountayn Nyala,

I think there is 8 subspecies of bushbuck.
cape, Limpopo, chobe, East African, Nile, meneliks, abasynia and harnessed. If I missed one or two please add.

I’m sure there are lists other places, but I thought I’d share mine. Please help me fill out anything I missed.

Big 5

Leopard.
Lion.
Elephant.
White Rhino
Black Rhino
Buffalo

Dangerous 7

Hippopotamus
Nile Crocodile

Spiral slam

Kudu
Eland
Bushbuck
Nyala

Springbok slam

Common
White
Black
Copper

Blesbok slam

Common blesbuck
Copper blesbuck
Yellow blesbuck
White blesbuck

Tiny 10

Common/Grey Duiker
Red Duiker
Blue Duiker
Cape Grysbok
Sharpe’s Grysbok
Steenbok
Dik-Dik
Klipspringer
Oribi
Suni
Vaal Rhebuck

Impala
Black Impala

Gemsbok

Zebra
Mountain Zebra

Sable
Roan
Sitatunga

Black Lechwe
Kafue Lechwe
Red lechwe

Giant Forest Hog
Bongo
Lord Derby Eland

Bontebok

Baboon
Baboon – Chacma

Black wildebeest
Blue wildebeest
King wildebeest

Bushbuck
Bushpig

Caracal
Hyena – spotted
Jackal

Giraffe

Mountain reedbuck
Red hartebeest
Reedbuck – common
Tsessebe

Warthog
Waterbuck
Missing Golden Widebeeste

I think there is 8 subspecies of bushbuck.
cape, Limpopo, chobe, East African, Nile, meneliks, abasynia and harnessed. If I missed one or two please add.
Bushbuck
o Genus Tragelaphus de Blainville, 1816
 Tragelaphus scriptus group (Pallas, 1766) – kéwel
 Tragelaphus scriptus (Pallas, 1766) – western bushbuck
 Tragelaphus phaleratus (Hamilton Smith, 1827) – central bushbuck
 Tragelaphus bor Heuglin, 1877 – Nile bushbuck
 Tragelaphus decula (Rüppell, 1835) – Abyssinian bushbuck
 Tragelaphus sylvaticus group (Sparrman, 1780) – imbabala
 Tragelaphus meneliki Neumann, 1902 – Menelik's bushbuck
 Tragelaphus fasciatus Pocock, 1900 – eastern coastal bushbuck
 Tragelaphus ornatus Pocock, 1900 – Chobe bushbuck
 Tragelaphus sylvaticus (Sparrman, 1780) – Cape bushbuck

Bushbuck
Curious, where did you get your list? Any “common“ names we might recognize for the kewel, western, central and imbaablala bushbuck. I went with the SCI names that I could remember off of the top of my head.

Bushbuck
Cape Bushbuck are known as Imbabala to the Xhosa tribe we have down here.

Curious, where did you get your list?
I got it on this forum. Then saved in my notes in computer, for my safari studies.

I'm pretty sure I've put my list up here somewhere before. I don't remember it being terribly long, and almost certainly I trimmed it down to the most personally valuable, about six or seven different animals.

Lion
Leopard
Nile crocodile
Spotted hyena
Black-backed jackal

Common eland
Sable antelope
Roan antelope
Greater kudu
Nyala
Black wildebeest
Common warthog

Lion's not likely to ever happen, of course, and if I had to narrow it down for the herbivores it'd be eland, kudu, and sable and/or roan for my favorites. Leopard, croc, and hyena for the carnivores.

Don't forget the Royal antelope, I think the smallest one in Africa.
Beside countless subspecies for so many animals, there are 22 different duikers.
It will be interesting if someone put all the huntable and non huntable animals of Africa in a booklet.

Don't forget the Royal antelope, I think the smallest one in Africa.
Beside countless subspecies for so many animals, there are 22 different duikers.
It will be interesting if someone put all the huntable and non huntable animals of Africa in a booklet.
I have a book at home that covers all of the game animals of Africa including the scientific recognized subspecies. Don’t remember where I got it but it shows historical ranges and where species current ranges are and where they have been introduced. I will find it tonight and post the title and author.

I have a book at home that covers all of the game animals of Africa including the scientific recognized subspecies. Don’t remember where I got it but it shows historical ranges and where species current ranges are and where they have been introduced. I will find it tonight and post the title and author.
Yes please share the title of that book.
Many thanks!

My favorite book, when I was kid, was Alfred Brehms life of animals... But it is not that type of book.

i just rembembered now, I am missing such a book in my library.

I have book of mammals of south africa, and book of snakes in south Africa, closest to this.
And south African animal recognition guide. Books I bought before going to first safari.

Curious, where did you get your list? Any “common“ names we might recognize for the kewel, western, central and imbaablala bushbuck. I went with the SCI names that I could remember off of the top of my head.
I believe SCI recognizes the sub species you had previously named, but that some have broken them down even further into additional subspecies. Guess it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KamVarghes

Latest profile posts

another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!