For those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, What's the next best thing?

Somebody mentioned here on a different thread that Rigby used CZ receivers for their rifles when Mauser actions were MIA sometime in the '50s or maybe '60s? Interesting?
Brno ZKK actions...

I hope you didn't misinterpret my comment. I wasn't downplaying the Winchester Model 70, just outlining that there's not much functional difference between one and a Dakota.
BeeMaa, I didn't think anything bad at all. Was only saying I'm a Winchester Fanboy :)
Those Dakota's do look nice though. I didn't really know much about them until reading this thread.

BeeMaa, I didn't think anything bad at all. Was only saying I'm a Winchester Fanboy :)
Those Dakota's do look nice though. I didn't really know much about them until reading this thread.
There is a lot of information out there on them but it comes down to specific rifles, calibers, year of production and condition. @rookhawk has a very good grasp on the real world value/price of these. If you have a question about a specific rifle, he might be willing to take some time and help you out.

Drove through BRNO yesterday. Would have liked to stop at CZ but plan to visit their Prague store tomorrow.

If you’re willing to stretch your budget to a Dakota which will likely push 10K Canadian, there’s a Heym 404 listed on CGN for 12k I saw today.

If you’re willing to stretch your budget to a Dakota which will likely push 10K Canadian, there’s a Heym 404 listed on CGN for 12k I saw today.
Oh Man, looking at the add now. I've actually seen some other Heym Express rifles listed for around 10,000 CAN this year.

I'd still rather find one in 416 Rigby, sounds a little more special imo.

Oh Man, looking at the add now. I've actually seen some other Heym Express rifles listed for around 10,000 CAN this year.

From a pragmatic perspective there is a real difference in ammo and component availability at least here in the US. Checking ammoseek.com, .416 Rigby ammo is readily available here in the states, while not a single vendor has .404 Jeff. Same for brass.

From a pragmatic perspective there is a real difference in ammo and component availability at least here in the US. Checking ammoseek.com, .416 Rigby ammo is readily available here in the states, while not a single vendor has .404 Jeff. Same for brass.
I've noticed that here as well. 404J ammo can be found but it's far less common than 416 Rigby.

However I've seen boxes of 416 Rigby ammo here go for upwards of $340/20, not cheap.

I thought this thread you started was "for those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, what's the next best thing?"...

IMO - you only live once and are not likely to be crying about the price of this rifle while you are enjoying a few days of hunting with it.

Watch how Ron operates the bolt. Shown in slow motion at the 3:30 mark. He uses the palm of his hand to lift the bolt and pull it back, then rotates his hand it and pushes forward with his palm to return to battery and close the bolt. In a stressful situation, fine motor skills go away. Relying on your fingers to grasp the bolt is a fine motor function. Using the palm is much more simple and there is less of a chance of the bolt knob slipping from your grip. Having the bolt knob textured will make it grind into your palm instead of sliding like it should. I've seen many CRF DG rifles will have highly polished or chromed bolt knobs for this reason.
Watch how I worked my bolt. I'm not using just my fingers. My fingers lock the knob into my palm (the "clenched fist" described by the illustrious PH), just as Spomer's fingers lock his bolt into his palm. The only difference is Spomer spreads his fingers when he raises the bolt. Then he closes them on the knob to withdraw the bolt ... just like me. When I close the bolt the knob is seated in the palm under the base of my thumb and in line with the top of my wrist. I'm sure everyone else works a bolt that way. Spomer does open his palm to close the bolt but the knob is still in the same pocket of his palm as mine is when I close my 404's bolt. I just don't have my fingers sticking out in space. What's the difference? Well, there is a slight difference. Relax your right hand and lay it on your thigh. Now look at it. Are your fingers spread out and up with palm flattened? No. When relaxed, your fingers are naturally curled over your palm. Baby finger is almost touching it, right? Explain to me why it takes more fine motor skills to let my fingers naturally wrap over the knob than it does for Spomer to purposely straighten them when he's working the bolt. I think you just made an argument for the opposite thesis. If anything, the open palm method would slow the cycling of a bolt rifle. Again, I'm sure the difference is negligible ... as far as speed in cycling goes anyway. Asthetically there may be a big difference. When handling guns worth tens of thousands, appearances are important. Too some anyway.

I suspect the real reason Spomer uses the open handed method is it reduces the handling of an extremely valuable rifle. It's why he's wearing gloves. But gloves will wear on the bluing too. Less handling = less friction = less wear on the finish.

Last edited:
I thought this thread you started was "for those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, what's the next best thing?"...

IMO - you only live once and are not likely to be crying about the price of this rifle while you are enjoying a few days of hunting with it.
It did, and I have $10,000 Canadian set in my head as my upper limit for this rifle. Most new Heym Express rifles that I've seen in Canada are approaching $20,000 CAN so even a 7k-10k Dakota/PWA seems like a bargain.

I am remiss--what about the Sako Safari as an alternative to the Rigby/Heym? Love mine.

Get one of Wayne’s builds without the CZ markings on the action with his 3 position safety. Won’t even know it is a CZ. :).
Ive owned a bunch of CZs, love em all. Good mag capacity, action not too bulky, mount system great. Most got custom stocks, or slimmed down and refinished. Most got a barrel band. Bolts were polished with mag wheel polish to smooth up a bit.
I personally prefer the factory CZ side safety, as it works perfect for me. Too many times Ive seen 3 pos swing safeties knocked off, by accident, or by clothing when the person is not aware of it, or carry slung on left shoulder against your body, belt, pants, etc. I need to reduce potential accidents for me, guides and clients, so 2 brands have been and gone. Just my safe safety opinion from experience, I aint lying, so please don't tell me off.
Also gripping or palm, whatever you do best... :)
Yes we had Paul Roberts bring 2x Rigbys in buffalo camp once, both on worked over CZ actions.. did not look one bit like CZ anymore... a 450 and 416.
On another subject, in a shootout once, a guy with his Dakota bolt 416 fired 4 shots.. before I could close on my next 2 shells into my English double... that was a lesson.
Whatever you have for DG, practice, practice.. in many differing scenarios.

Travel & Hunt. Be Safe.

In my opinion, get a gun that fits your body and mental condition. My best results were achived with custom guns. Go to a gun smith of Your choice, sit down, drink coffee and talk with him for a while. After that, You will get what You want and need!

Ive owned a bunch of CZs, love em all. Good mag capacity, action not too bulky, mount system great. Most got custom stocks, or slimmed down and refinished. Most got a barrel band. Bolts were polished with mag wheel polish to smooth up a bit.
I personally prefer the factory CZ side safety, as it works perfect for me. Too many times Ive seen 3 pos swing safeties knocked off, by accident, or by clothing when the person is not aware of it, or carry slung on left shoulder against your body, belt, pants, etc. I need to reduce potential accidents for me, guides and clients, so 2 brands have been and gone. Just my safe safety opinion from experience, I aint lying, so please don't tell me off.
Also gripping or palm, whatever you do best... :)
Yes we had Paul Roberts bring 2x Rigbys in buffalo camp once, both on worked over CZ actions.. did not look one bit like CZ anymore... a 450 and 416.
On another subject, in a shootout once, a guy with his Dakota bolt 416 fired 4 shots.. before I could close on my next 2 shells into my English double... that was a lesson.
Whatever you have for DG, practice, practice.. in many differing scenarios.

Travel & Hunt. Be Safe.
I have had issues with 2-position Bhueler style scope relief safeties getting caught on clothing and disengaging, but never the 3-position Dakota one I put on my 98 Mauser build ... IF it's locked all the way down in full safe position! Carrying it in position two is never advisable. Besides leaving the lever sticking out where it can get caught and disengaged, the bolt handle is not locked and can accidentally fall open, leaving the shooter with an open chamber and one round short. This Parkwest/Dakota safety' lever is on the side of the shroud and has a long throw from full safe to ready to fire. It's protected by bolt knob, scope, and lever on rear QD scope ring.
20231119_114717.jpg

I don't know the situation on the North American continent, but here in Europe if someone wants a cheaper rifle in a caliber suitable for hunting big game in Africa, he go to a gunsmith who can make something for him at an acceptable price.

Here is an example of a well-known gunsmith in my area who can easily and for a not too expensive price built for example a rifle 416 Ruger or 458 Win Mag based on a Mauser 98 system or similar, and certainly rifles of other calibers with the traditional African aesthetics.

Stationed in Germany. Send me a PM, will you please? @grand veneur

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cmwkwarrwn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)