First Wolf Harvest after seven years and six failed attempts!!

JeffUSMC

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
I was in Alaska almost eight years ago hunting Brown Bear and saw three grey/white wolves the morning I harvested my bear. Due to their distance and having the wrong rifle, I was unable to even take a shot at one. From that moment, I was obsessed and knew that I had to harvest a wolf. Wolf instantly moved to the number one spot on my hunting to do list. Over the next seven years I went on SIX unsuccessful guided hunts in pursuit of a wolf. Last week I went on a self guided wolf hunt in Emo, Canada in a fishing camp and FINALLY harvested my first wolf. It was a decent sized and I think very handsome male wolf. That was hands down the most difficult animal that I have ever hunted.
IMG_3107.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Alaska almost eight years ago hunting Brown Bear and saw three grey/white wolves the morning I harvested my bear. Due to their distance and having the wrong rifle, I was unable to even take a shot at one. From that moment, I was obsessed and knew that I had to harvest a wolf. Wolf instantly moved to the number one spot on my hunting to do list. Over the next seven years I went on SIX unsuccessful guided hunts in pursuit of a wolf. Last week I went on a self guided wolf hunt in Emo, Canada in a fishing camp and FINALLY harvested my first wolf. It was a decent sized and I think very handsome male wolf. That was hands down the most difficult animal that I have ever hunted. View attachment 592872
JeffUSMC: that’s GREAT, what outstanding effort (and persistence) to keep up your intensity for that many years and in spite of many unsuccessful attempts. You must’ve been thrilled and would expect it was a “heart pounding moment” when you first saw that Wolf and realized you would finally get “a shot”. I think any DIY - self guided hunt adds to the significance of the Trophy. I assume you had some bait to draw him close? I’ve baited Coyote & Fox successfully and a frozen Lake has worked very well for me. Congratulations and would be interested in any more details you care to share…(rifle used, distance, hunting technique etc.?

Congratulations! Rare and beautiful trophy taken by firearm. I’ve hunted them unsuccessfully. My eyes keep drifting to the crack in the ice!

Very cool,
I had tags in Alaska 3 times just in case I saw a wolf but only had one failed sighting while caribou hunting.
I was successful on my third dedicated hunt in Ontario with 2 only ten minutes apart.

Well done. One less to eat the other wildlife. They are a very tough animal to get a shot at. Your persistence does you credit.
Bruce

When I was 5, I dreamed that wolves had come into my room and "iced" my throat so I couldn't call for help from my parents...I owe them one...

Yeah, a wolf, an nice big gray wolf, is pretty high on my list.

Since Hankbuck asked I will add a few more details. The hunt was done with bait on a frozen lake. I used what the fish camp provided which was what they could scrounge. Road kill "deer" and fish guts. I was in a very small tent blind in the tree line 185 yards from the bait. The lake was roughly 425 yards across from tree line to tree line where I was at. I built a custom rifle specifically for my wolf hunts. I was so determined that I wanted something that I could shoot at almost any distance and not miss. It's a Seekins Precision in 6.5 PRC with a Huskemaw 5-30 scope with custom turrets cut to 1200 yards. This wolf came out of the woods on the opposite shoreline and went straight for the bait. However when he got about 20-25 yards away from it he stopped and made an abrupt about face and headed directly back the exact way he came. Not running but walking briskly. I waited a few seconds to see if he would stop and as soon as I was certain he was not stopping I put one round right behind his shoulder. This was the very first animal that I have killed with the 6.5 PRC and I was actually shocked at how powerful this round was. He dropped without taking a single step and I believe he was dead probably as he hit the ice. I did not see him even flinch or wiggle once he hit the ice. Here is another photo. I hope this is not disrespectful to the animal. I am only posting this photo to demonstrate just how impressive this new 6.5 PRC is. I am using Hornady 143 grain ELDX Precision hunter ammo. I have mostly hunted with a 30.06 but I am a convert now. Long range deadly precision.
IMG_3101.jpg

@JeffUSMC

Congratulations on finally getting your wolf! I think they are beautiful animals!
I am also glad to hear you are loving your 6.5 PRC! At SCI this year, I had one custom ordered through Stealth Vision and cannot wait to get my hands on it to do some long range shooting. It is customized all the way the way to the hand loads and includes ballistics out to a mile.
It comes with their scope mounted and sighted in, and the scope includes internal leveling and the bipod is beyond awesome.
It is really cool to read that you love yours, and well done on shooting your wolf with it!! :)

Since Hankbuck asked I will add a few more details. The hunt was done with bait on a frozen lake. I used what the fish camp provided which was what they could scrounge. Road kill "deer" and fish guts. I was in a very small tent blind in the tree line 185 yards from the bait. The lake was roughly 425 yards across from tree line to tree line where I was at. I built a custom rifle specifically for my wolf hunts. I was so determined that I wanted something that I could shoot at almost any distance and not miss. It's a Seekins Precision in 6.5 PRC with a Huskemaw 5-30 scope with custom turrets cut to 1200 yards. This wolf came out of the woods on the opposite shoreline and went straight for the bait. However when he got about 20-25 yards away from it he stopped and made an abrupt about face and headed directly back the exact way he came. Not running but walking briskly. I waited a few seconds to see if he would stop and as soon as I was certain he was not stopping I put one round right behind his shoulder. This was the very first animal that I have killed with the 6.5 PRC and I was actually shocked at how powerful this round was. He dropped without taking a single step and I believe he was dead probably as he hit the ice. I did not see him even flinch or wiggle once he hit the ice. Here is another photo. I hope this is not disrespectful to the animal. I am only posting this photo to demonstrate just how impressive this new 6.5 PRC is. I am using Hornady 143 grain ELDX Precision hunter ammo. I have mostly hunted with a 30.06 but I am a convert now. Long range deadly precision. View attachment 592885
JeffUSMC: You made a good “shot decision” followed by a Good Shot - under pressure. Did you shoot him on-the-trot or did he stop? On the move = tough shot at that distance. I’ve found with Coyote they can Not really run on smooth ice and a “trot” about as fast as they go unless ‘panicked’ - then they slip/slide. Also, for Coyote or Fox I can yell out a “Aghhhh” to get them to hold still for a second —- No idea if that works for Wolf. Your rifle/caliber looks to have hit with “authority”. I use a .22-250 and no doubt it would work on Wolf —- But I would likely use .243 or .25-06 because I want everything in my favor …might never get another chance at one

Good shooting! The killing power and accuracy of the new cartridges with those bullets at extended distances is impressive.

JeffUSMC: You made a good “shot decision” followed by a Good Shot - under pressure. Did you shoot him on-the-trot or did he stop? On the move = tough shot at that distance. I’ve found with Coyote they can Not really run on smooth ice and a “trot” about as fast as they go unless ‘panicked’ - then they slip/slide. Also, for Coyote or Fox I can yell out a “Aghhhh” to get them to hold still for a second —- No idea if that works for Wolf. Your rifle/caliber looks to have hit with “authority”. I use a .22-250 and no doubt it would work on Wolf —- But I would likely use .243 or .25-06 because I want everything in my favor …might never get another chance at one
I shot him as you say "On the trot". While everything happened quickly and you cannot remember every tiny detail under these tense circumstances, I got the impression that he had poor traction on the ice and was unable to move at more than a quick walk. I did not try your "Aghhhh" call as with coyotes. I have done that with coyotes also but it never crossed my mind this time. Frankly, I think I was a bit too amped up. I was confident in my shot so I just took it.

Good testimonial about how hard they are to hunt by conventional means. A fact that escapes most if not all in the "Save the Wolf", anti-hunting crowd.

ive been on quite a few caribou and griz hunts in alaska up in the noatak and kelly river drainages. seen ONE wolf and that was from the plane on one of the trips. weve heard them howling numerous other times from camp and hunting otherwise. we see tracks but they are ghosts. it is a true trophy for those fortunate to take one.

Awesome! Great trophy! Congratulations, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

congratulations on your wolf, I HUNTED north of thunder bay Ontario quite a few times with WFO bear hunts have taken 6 so far after the 1st hunt more of my hunting buds wanted to go so I kept going for a few years I have many trophys the wolfs are at the top all the different colors but they are killing machines .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yinengyul5033

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!