First time safari gun import question

huntingnt

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I was hoping to bring my great uncles mauser that he gifted to me to SA this year. It has a G&H scope mount that obscures the serial number. Will this make it impossible to get through customs?

Mauser.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Without accepting any responsibility for this advice, I suggest that the simplest thing to do is to get the serial number engraved on the trigger guard (where it ought to be anyway, in my opinion). That way, when you clear customs, all you have to do is turn the rifle over and show the customs operatives that serial number.

Nor are the SAPs customs officers the sharpest tools in the box.

If you are unsuccessful, all that will happen is that the rifle will be locked in their safe until you collect it on your exit from the country. There is no fine or anything to pay so, on that basis, it is probably worth taking the chance.

Last edited:
You will probably have to show seri #s
1. To obtain 4457 form from customs
2. To USA airport inspection
3. Traveling thru New York the port authority.

I do like the engraving on trigger guard or bbl.

For south africa
Serial number should be on barrel
So if you going to have it re engraved somewhere put it on the barrel

My 2¢, Keep it original. Engrave the scope mount. Worse case scenario you have to remove the scope mount. Remove the scope/mount, get the 4457, reinstall the scope with the engraved mount.

For south africa
Serial number should be on barrel
So if you going to have it re engraved somewhere put it on the barrel

Agreed, I do not know what the rules in the USA or in SA are, but at least here in Europe, unless a serial number is on the barrel or the action, they do not care. It has to be on a critical part of the firearm.

Engraving a serial number on the barrel or action will not remove anything from the originality either. As long as it’s expertly done.

The serial number here in the US goes on the receiver, not the barrel. Barrels can be removed and replaced but the receiver is what is defined as the "firearm"

I was hoping to bring my great uncles mauser that he gifted to me to SA this year. It has a G&H scope mount that obscures the serial number. Will this make it impossible to get through customs?

View attachment 580619

I've had more than a few British safari rifles that engraved the serial inside of the magazine well. Hilarious, when you realize that is a replaceable, detachable part of a firearm. Never an issue though. I'd suggest you get the serial engraved there in a hidden location, but easy to show. I used model paint to fill in the engraved serial prominently so its easy for the TSA and customs to see it without delay.

I've had more than a few British safari rifles that engraved the serial inside of the magazine well. Hilarious, when you realize that is a replaceable, detachable part of a firearm. Never an issue though. I'd suggest you get the serial engraved there in a hidden location, but easy to show. I used model paint to fill in the engraved serial prominently so its easy for the TSA and customs to see it without delay.

I use Brownells Lacquer Paint stick in white to fill in caliber and serial numbers. Makes it easier for anyone inspecting to read.

So. What I thought was a part number stamped into the bottom metal happens to be the serial number from the receiver. Said a quick prayer thanking the old man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul 405

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.