frog stealer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Just shy of 3 years after placing my order, I am finally in possession of my dream rifle, a Heym 89b, chambered in the classic and historic .577 NE. Not a whole lot of upgrades on this one, just color case hardening with simple but tasteful gold inlays and border engraving. The pictures don't do this rifle justice...it looks much better in person!

The positive side of waiting so long for delivery of the rifle, was that I was able to put together a decent stock of reloading components. I have several loads ready for testing, including full power 750 grain woodleigh softs with a variety of powders (R15 w/ filler, H4831, IMR4831), 650 grain hard cast using an Accurate Mold with AA5744 powder, and 650 grain woodleigh BPE softs with H4198, both of the 650 grain loads using kynoch foam filler wads.

I can't wait to shoot this thing, and I hope to get to the range within the next few weeks. I will post a range report on this forum when I do…

Is it too heavy for carrying long distances? Check.

Is it over-powered for everything other than pachyderms? Check.

Does it rank as my most unrealistic firearms purchase to date? Check.

Does it put a smile on my face every time I shoulder it? Absolutely.

IMG_2773.jpeg

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2776.jpeg

IMG_2774.jpeg

IMG_2775.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!!! Get out there and put her to work. If it shoots even half as nice as it looks you'll be ready to roll but it's a Heym so I know it will shoot fantastic.

Just shy of 3 years after placing my order, I am finally in possession of my dream rifle, a Heym 89b, chambered in the classic and historic .577 NE. Not a whole lot of upgrades on this one, just color case hardening with simple but tasteful gold inlays and border engraving. The pictures don't do this rifle justice...it looks much better in person!

The positive side of waiting so long for delivery of the rifle, was that I was able to put together a decent stock of reloading components. I have several loads ready for testing, including full power 750 grain woodleigh softs with a variety of powders (R15 w/ filler, H4831, IMR4831), 650 grain hard cast using an Accurate Mold with AA5744 powder, and 650 grain woodleigh BPE softs with H4198, both of the 650 grain loads using kynoch foam filler wads.

I can't wait to shoot this thing, and I hope to get to the range within the next few weeks. I will post a range report on this forum when I do…

Is it too heavy for carrying long distances? Check.

Is it over-powered for everything other than pachyderms? Check.

Does it rank as my most unrealistic firearms purchase to date? Check.

Does it put a smile on my face every time I shoulder it? Absolutely.

View attachment 593478

View attachment 593479

View attachment 593480

View attachment 593481

View attachment 593482
Unapologetically envious.
Proper stopping rifle.
Weight? Tell us more about it.

Unapologetically envious.
Proper stopping rifle.
Weight? Tell us more about it.
Weight is 13 lbs, 0.2 oz unloaded. I measured this in the middle of my living room hallway with a postal scale, and my 2 year old trying to figure out what in the hell his crazy dad was up to.

Absolutely beautiful and the wood is something special.

Please report back on the experience of shooting it.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing it.

Regulating that rifle must have been a load of fun.
Looking forward to your range report.
Absolutely…or similar to getting into the ring with a heavyweight boxer. When I visited Chris (Heym USA) in Dallas, I shot a few doubles, an 88 and 89 in .577 and .470, respectively. Chris had me shoot a tree stump partially submerged in a river with the .577, so much fun seeing water shoot up into the air that high. The only thing that stopped me was feeling bad about how much money it was costing him per shot.

Tastefully classic. Try 750Gr Barnes TSX and Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids at 2050 FPS. They should regulate flawlessly.

Are you going to put a Red Dot on it???

Kidding! Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful in every aspect and a serious heirloom that can be passed on for the rest of your family’s name!

I think 26” barrels is the standard for Heym. I’m just wondering if that’s the case for the 577?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.