Does the brass know the difference?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
When developing loads I follow the method used by Ken Waters using case expansion at the web as an indicator of maximum safe pressure. If possible I use brass from the same company (previously Winchester, but others now seem to be of higher quality) so that the indicators will be uniform. The rifles involved are all of strong modern actions so the weakest link in the equation is the brass case. So I'm wondering if the limits SAAMI and CIP place on cartridges is valid. In particular I note that several African cartridges have lower limits than other magnum and even standard cartridges. the reason given is that some are to be used in break-action doubles that are not as strong as bolt-actions and that if carried in the heat of Africa, the powder is susceptible to increase burnrate and raise pressure. But what about cartridges that will be fired in a modern bolt-action in a cool climate or using powder that is not temperature sensitive. For example, the 458 Win Mag has a CIP limit of 62K while the 404 Jeffery has a CIP limit of 53K. So if both are chambered in a CZ550 or similar and the 458 is considered safe at 62K, wouldn't the 404 also be safe at 62K?

Good question/observation. I'm waiting to see how others feel about this. Have you looked at some of the various hand-loading forums to see if this question has come up before?

Ray, In certain applications, certain rifles/actions, then yes, absolutely.
That's why you start working up slowly and check for signs, etc.

Be advised, I've personally been in a situation where my loads were perfectly safe at home when and where they were loaded but going to a warmer climate increased the pressure where I had to back off a grain to 1.5 grains.

Also, it's not always the action, sometimes it's the brass (.30-30 Winchester). The 7X57 is notoriously under rated, as is the 45-70. Information is available for mild loads for older/weaker actions and modern/stronger actions.

Now, ask yourself: Is it really that important to gain some velocity at the risk of damaging or destroying a rifle or trying to deal with a stuck/ruptured case? Some very smart people develop load data under controlled conditions - I'm pretty sure they are smarter than I and have much more precise equipment/conditions: therefore I do not recommend exceeding max loads.

What's perplexing is comparing various loads from different manufacturers - I shoot a 7mm rem Mag and the books/net are all over as to haw much powder and what velocity.

Load to an accurate/safe level, shoot over a chronograph and compute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professor

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)