Do you need a licensed PH to bow hunt?

bruceb

AH member
Reaction score
I have been told by one outfitter that even as an international hunter you don't need a PH while bow hunting. This outfitter has CAE properties in limpopo.
Is this true?

The law states that an international non-resident hunter must be accompanied by a licensed PH, and hunting with a registered outfitter. That being said, the interpretation of what "accompanied" means can be pretty loose with some outfitters an PHs. I am aware of many instances where the hunter was dropped off by the PH to hunt alone. With no real presence of the law in existence in the bush on private land, it's nearly impossible to enforce. It probably happens a lot.

Regardless of the legalities, there are many good reasons why a PH should accompany any hunter into the bush with safety being paramount. Secondly, any hunter who is not familiar with African game will find it very difficult, if not impossible to properly judge the animals for age and trophy quality. It is for that reason alone that most any reputable PH or outfitter would insist on being with the hunter to make those judgements. Unless you are very familiar with the properties, the predators, and the game animals, I personally do not recommend hunting by yourself in Africa even if it is permitted by the PH/Outfitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
LIMPOPO ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT 2003, ACT 7 OF 2003

“client” means any person who is not normally resident in the Republic, who pays or rewards any other person for or in connection with the hunting of a wild or alien animal;

CHAPTER 5 PROFESSIONAL HUNTING
Professional hunters, hunting-outfitters, directors of professional hunting schools and taxidermists

Hunting of wild and alien animals by clients
50. (1) A client may hunt a wild or alien animal only –
  1. (a) if the hunt has been organised by a hunting-outfitter; and
  2. (b) under the supervision of a professional hunter.

https://www.sahunters.co.za/images/attach/conservation/provlegislation/Limpopo Ordinance.pdf

Attachments

• Limpopo Ordinance.pdf
    474.6 KB · Views: 34
As Dan noted there are plenty of instances where a hunter is dropped off at a blind and left on their own. A more experienced hunter with trophy judging skills, etc., able to keep in comms at all times with the PH by radio or phone, ok.
I personally have sat in a blind in complete solitude for 12 hours enjoying taking pictures and waiting to use my bow ....

Would I suggest it for a rookie. No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNek

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg