Dismantle your rifles while putting them in travel case or keep them as one

Looks good. What make gun case? Interesting that two center padlocks will be underneath the handle. I would definitely suggest taping the latches down with duct tape after inspection. They don't appear to be terribly sturdy. Do wraps around the entire case. Any duct tape residue is easily removed later with WD40. Use ugly gray duct tape so the fashion conscious security gal at Joberg doesn't swipe the roll from your carryon.

Last edited:
Looks good. What make gun case? Interesting that two center padlocks will be underneath the handle. I would definitely suggest taping the latches down with duct tape after inspection. They don't appear to be terribly sturdy. Do wraps around the entire case. Any duct tape residue is easily removed later with WD40. Use ugly gray duct tape so the fashion conscious security gal at Joberg doesn't swipe the roll from your carryon.
Case is a Pelican 1750. They say it is one of their strongest. Do they inspect here in the US ? I will fly from Houston to Atlanta to Johannesburg so inspection will be in Houston? Do I need to keep original papers with me?

They only inspect/x-ray at your original check-in airport unless you take possession of it when you transfer planes, no paperwork is needed. Check it straight through to Joberg.

Then coming back they'll inspect it when you go trough customs, all you need there is your 4457

Case is a Pelican 1750. They say it is one of their strongest. Do they inspect here in the US ? I will fly from Houston to Atlanta to Johannesburg so inspection will be in Houston? Do I need to keep original papers with me?
The airline will usually have you open the case so they can ensure guns are unloaded. Once I had an agent who only opened the case to put airline paperwork certifying inspection inside. She didn't want me handling the gun with other passengers walking around. Said she could see if it was loaded with x-ray machine. I doubt that she could but didn't debate it with her.

Make yourself a folder with all the paperwork for this journey. Form 4457, copies of your passport photo page, copy of your travel insurance card, checklist for packing, invitation letter from outfitter, hunting license (when you get there), trophy list, receipt for payment(s) to outfitter, police forms for temp importing rifles, etc. Oh, and be sure to pick a folder that is NOT slippery plastic. That very nearly was a disaster for me at the end of my first safari. When I went to check in with police at Port Elizabeth Airport, my police paperwork from Joberg was missing. Yikes! Okay, this shouldn't be a big deal. The guns were logged in at Joberg Station, they had copies, serial numbers in the book, etc. The nice sergeant lady at PE station called Joberg but the not so nice boss lady there (she is/was a piece of work!) said no way. Confiscate those guns NOW! Well, the sergeant did NOT want to take my guns. She knew how much they meant to me and she also knew they would "get lost" in short order. The gal had tears in her eyes, literally. I went through my carryon backpack three times before finally discovering the paperwork had slipped out of the folder and welded to bottom of the pack when clothes shoved in on top of it. Damn near missed my plane. I will never forget the smile on those two lady cops' faces when I thumped that document on the desk. She ran with me to the check-in carrying my backpack while I shouldered checked bag and wrestled with double gun Kalispel case.

Here's a copy of my checklist. Others have posted theirs as well. You can search for them.
Hunt Talk Africa Trip List-page-001.jpg

I would advise RSA currency for Joberg airport. Fifty bucks worth should buy you grub and whatever. If you plan on buying touristy guano at the airport for family etc, maybe $100 RSA currency. Your bank here likely will have to order the currency so make your move for it early. I had some theft of my VISA # at Joberg airport the second trip coming home. Then the thief waited about a month before testing the waters making a couple of small purchases. VISA fraud people caught on before any serious loss. Also, carry your cards in a secure wallet so the chip can't be read by someone with a chip reader next to you in the airports. Any luggage shop will have security wallets.

Added some strength by attaching some metal plates to the padlock joint areas. Not sure why Pelican doesnt do the same like the end ones.

IMG_3189.jpg

Thank you, which travellers insurance do you use for your guns?
Travelers health insurance is for me. Don't go to Africa without it. My guns are not worth a lot of money. Sentimental value they're irreplaceable. I don't insure them. Check with your homeowners broker. They should be able to find coverage for both health and your guns.

Travelers health insurance is for me. Don't go to Africa without it. My guns are not worth a lot of money. Sentimental value they're irreplaceable. I don't insure them. Check with your homeowners broker. They should be able to find coverage for both health and your guns.
So this travellers health insurance was on top of your health insurance or without.

So this travellers health insurance was on top of your health insurance or without.
Fortunately, I live in Canada. We have government health insurance. Only uncivilized nations don't have govt health insurance. :D So yes, I require health insurance when traveling. You will need to check your plan to see what coverage you may have overseas. When I'm in the US, I'm covered by US Veterans health system. Because I'm a US disabled vet.

You can search this website for reports on travel insurance options. Never had to use my coverage that I picked up through my homeowners company. No doubt many other companies/packages would be better than what I have. If you have health issues you definitely should look into what some of the guys on here have had emergency experience with. @Happy Myles I know had to be treated for serious leopard attack. Might want to PM him.

Many put a big orange "Security Item" tag on them but I dont recall seeing a tag that actually stated "firearm"

During my 2021 safari, Airlink placed one of these on my rifle case on their domestic flights (from JNB to ELS and again on the return flight). They did not however, place them on my case for the international flight back from RSA.

Tag.JPG

Last edited:
Indigo Earl: Fortunately the U.S. is NOT that ridiculous — Yet…. There is No requirement to disassemble any part of a firearm however it cannot be loaded or have a loaded magazine in the gun.
My experience has been different. Upon entering the USA, the Customs and Border Patrol has been requiring bolts to be removed from the rifle. This occurred at the CBP checkpoint, prior to the TSA re-checking the rifle case for the connecting flight. This seems to be a CBP policy rather than an airline policy, and it is obvious some of the CBP agents do not understand what a "bolt" is. I well remember the fellow in line ahead of me being told that he had to "remove the bolt from the rifle and place it back into the case." He had a double rifle... :rolleyes:

Never experienced this on the outbound international or domestic flights, only on flights entering the USA from overseas.

My experience has been different. Upon entering the USA, the Customs and Border Patrol has been requiring bolts to be removed from the rifle. This occurred at the CBP checkpoint, prior to the TSA re-checking the rifle case for the connecting flight. This seems to be a CBP policy rather than an airline policy, and it is obvious some of the CBP agents do not understand what a "bolt" is. I well remember the fellow in line ahead of me being told that he had to "remove the bolt from the rifle and place it back into the case." He had a double rifle... :rolleyes:

Never experienced this on the outbound international or domestic flights, only on flights entering the USA from overseas.
TROUBLESHOOTER: that’s just GREAT, another Government Agency with their “own policies” and zero knowledge of firearms. Next year Border Patrol will require EACH Firearm to have it’s own PASSPORT

D
I don't recall Airlink charging me for a third bag but that's domestic flight. Leaving South Africa on Lufthansa and Swiss Air is a different matter. Cannot remember if I was charged for extra baggage. Lufthansa seemed to whack me pretty heavy for firearm handling fee so maybe the extra bag charge was included?
Did you tell them in advance that you were going to have a firearm in your baggage ? Three friends from Toronto came to Namibia with me last year on Lufthansa. None of us were charged. I think it’s a little bit of luck of the draw.

D

Did you tell them in advance that you were going to have a firearm in your baggage ? Three friends from Toronto came to Namibia with me last year on Lufthansa. None of us were charged. I think it’s a little bit of luck of the draw.
Like me they probably booked through Air Canada and transferred in Europe to Lufthansa. Because both airlines belong to Star Alliance, bags did not have to be rechecked. They paid the gun handling fee at Toronto to Air Canada which is reasonable, about $55, and that covered them for Lufthansa leg of the flight. My third safari I did have to pay Air Canada for a third bag because I was too stupid to not simply stuff the ammo case in my checked bag after it was inspected. Returning from Joberg I may be stuck paying for the second checked bag because airport reg requires ammo be checked in a SEPARATE and LOCKED hard sided case. Lufthansa gun handling fee is very steep anywhere. I have returned with them twice and unsure if they made me pay for the extra checked ammo case. I seem to recall returning on Swiss Air out of Joberg was very reasonable. And I do not remember if the connecting flight to Port Elizabeth on Safair charged for the extra bag. I did have to pay their gun handling fee of course and have the guns and ammo processed by their baggage people AFTER police finished with me. It's one of the reasons I recommend at least a two hour layover at Joberg before connecting to domestic flight. Another reason is one never knows if the transcontinental flight getting to Joberg will be on time. Last August my flight was an hour late arriving due to route detour around Niger which was having some kind of domestic blowup. I did not make my flight to Port Elizabeth but switched airlines and still made it to PE later that day.

Last edited:
I travel a lot. I take the bolts out and wrap them. I either use a Tuffpak or a Pelican 1750 with custom foam. Never had a problem. I take soft cases for the rifles for use in the truck and on charters.
I have done this 40+ times.

While I haven't traveled as much as some on here with a rifle I will say that I have never been asked to remove the bolt.

This is in Dulles, Atlanta, NYC, Denver, SLC, and Dallas/Ft Worth. All the airports were either departure or incoming back to the US where TSA needed to check the rifle or US Customs on incoming flights.

While I haven't traveled as much as some on here with a rifle I will say that I have never been asked to remove the bolt.

This is in Dulles, Atlanta, NYC, Denver, SLC, and Dallas/Ft Worth. All the airports were either departure or incoming back to the US where TSA needed to check the rifle or US Customs on incoming flights.

CBP asked me to remove the bolt from my rifle at DFW and Newark. Their sole involvement was to compare the rifle serial number against the CBP Form 4457, then pass it along to TSA at a separate location.

The gun cases were then taken to TSA for their inspections prior to check-in at the connecting flight. The TSA agent at DFW asked me to open the case and he inspected it in my presence. He was courteous and professional. In Philly, they X-rayed the case but did not open it; again in my presence. Not sure whether TSA did at other airports, as they never asked me to open the case, so whatever they did was outside of my presence.

At Newark, TSA had us open the cases but then took them to a different room outside of our presence to inspect them. We were told that this was their local SOP and that we had zero choice in the matter. Several of us asked to ensure that the cases were properly locked following inspection; we were allowed to re-apply our padlocks but were not allowed to open the case to check whether everything was still there.

Just what happened to me. Your mileage may vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdventureBound

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)