Dip and ship or mount in Africa

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
Who dips and ships home before taxidermy work and who get their animals done in Africa?
Why do you do it the way you do?
I am planning on a Cape Buff hunt in 2025, Daughter will be going for some night critters and a Wildebeest.
Our last trip we had a the taxidermy done in Africa. Still waiting on them. (it really hasn't been that long ) I am just thinking ahead.

On my last trip I had 3 shoulder mounts and 5 euros down in South Africa. As for cost it was almost a wash between what extra that I paid to the taxidermist over there and shipping compared to what my taxidermist here in the US would of charged. The big thing is that I had my mounts on the wall more than a year before what my US taxidermist could of gotten them back to me.

I did pay a little bit less having it done in South Africa than what dip and pack, shipping, and what my taxidermist was charging.

You need to check with your taxidermist here in the US and find out what he is charging along with what the wait will be. My taxidermist was 15 months out once he received the D&P.

From now on, I’ll have my animals done by Bullseye in South Africa… See other posts or references to Bullseye Taxidermy. Pics are in my Media too…

I have had my last hunts done by Highveld Taxidermy. I think it works out that Africa is a little less than US. Costs are less but freight is higher due to large box

Time is the primary rule I go with taxidermy in Africa. I just got back a boar I had done here after almost 13 months. I would be literally years getting mounts done taken in one safari. I also have used Bullseye.

Who dips and ships home before taxidermy work and who get their animals done in Africa?
Why do you do it the way you do?
I am planning on a Cape Buff hunt in 2025, Daughter will be going for some night critters and a Wildebeest.
Our last trip we had a the taxidermy done in Africa. Still waiting on them. (it really hasn't been that long ) I am just thinking ahead.
i always have my animals mounted in Africa for three reasons: 1. time…by the time your dip and pack gets to your taxi then to you almost double the time. 2. cheaper at least on all my safaris. 3. Quality is not better but just as good in my experience with little chance of your US taxi finding out your dip and pack is damaged

I priced both options in 2021 and it proved to be cheaper to have the taxidermy done in the US.

In 2007, I had 7 shoulder mounts of PG and a zebra rug done in South Africa for $700 (plus another $700 for shipping/fees/storage, etc.). They turned out great!

I don't know what happened, but it was going to around $6,000 (for everything) for just a cape buffalo shoulder mount in 2021 if done in South Africa.

I priced both options in 2021 and it proved to be cheaper to have the taxidermy done in the US.

In 2007, I had 7 shoulder mounts of PG and a zebra rug done in South Africa for $700 (plus another $700 for shipping/fees/storage, etc.). They turned out great!

I don't know what happened, but it was going to around $6,000 (for everything) for just a cape buffalo shoulder mount in 2021 if done in South Africa.

That sounds crazy for a buff shoulder mount
I would recommend any client get 2 quotes for their work here before committing
Use a well known setup

agree, my wall pedistal mount from 2018 on my buff cost $2900 not inclusive of shipping so half

From now on, I’ll have my animals done by Bullseye in South Africa… See other posts or references to Bullseye Taxidermy. Pics are in my Media too…
they are who i used and they are awesome…Craig takes the time to show you different types of the animal you took so you had the best idea for what you would receive

I do my own taxidermy so no real choice for me. But I would suggest starting a spreadsheet comparison. Get quotes for D&P, at least 3 for this, 2021 I had 22 animals D&P some companies were 300% higher than one I choose=Hunters and Collectors in Port Elizabeth, I believe taxidermy quality in the SA reputable shops have moved away from sub quality work and now equal most normal NA shops, but beware I have see recent pics posted on here that have "scared" me. So beware, no real way to fix if something goes amiss across the big pond.

If the lower cost for taxidermy eats the larger cost for shipping then it would come down to how bad does delivery time become for you. Remember this is all subject to change as your safari is still almost 2 years away.

Another concern is the pay large amount now for done in SA, done in US you can slow the payments over months or a year. Not the large amount up front.

All points that will sway and determine your decision.

MB

My answer is Dip & Ship and even more so with the outrageous shipping rates of late.

Bullseye’s work:

IMG_0682.jpeg

Black Impala
IMG_0681.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg

I shoehorned these two in just to get them off my storage rack and on the wall
IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

My problem is my taxidermist is backed up. I’m still waiting on stuff that’s been frozen for years…

Bullseye is great and worth the cost of freight!

In May 2022 I shot some animals while hunting with Tsala Safaris. They suggested I have Bullseye Taxidermy mount my animals. Again, I shot them in May of '22, and before I went back to Africa in Sept of '22, the animals I shot in May were hanging on my wall here in Maryland! Understand, that was just off of covid so they did not have much work to be doing. Lauriston Taxidermy did a nice job on some animals I took while on safari out of Port Elizabeth in Sept of '22, I had those animals back here in Maryland in just 9 months. Lauriston Taxidermy did a great job too.

Splitting Image in Port Elizabeth and Bullseye in Limpopo are excellent award winning taxidermist and their work is par even better than some taxidermists in NA.
Not to mention their prices are cheaper and wait is shorter.
Yes you'll be paying more for shipping but paperwork and formalities for finished products are simpler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorganBelg

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!