Cost Breakdown - Niassa Special Reserve, Mozambique to Monarch Taxidermy, Montana

Bivy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, WSF, Pope and Young, Boone and Crockett, Full Curl Society, RMEF
Hunted
U.S.A. (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska); Namibia, RSA, Mozambique
Hi All,

There has been lots of interesting discussion lately about dip/pack, shipping, and clearance. Here's a breakdown from my October 2021 hunt in Block R3, Niassa Reserve, Mozambique.

Species List
3 x Cape Buffalo Skull and Cape
1 x Roosevelt Sable Skull and Cape
1 x Chobe Bushbuck Skull and Flatskin

Step 1: $950.00 - Life Form Taxidermy down payment to secure import/export permits and veterinary certificate from Mozambique to South Africa

Step 2: $2,177.00 - Life Form Taxidermy Dip, Park, and Crate of above listed species list

Step 3: $2,676.73 - Safari Cargo Systems Air Freight to Seattle on Turkish Airlines (Crate = Chargeable and Actual Mass 201kg; 141x102x68cm)

Step 4: $2,349.81 - Coppersmith Clearance (Includes $536.12 Turkish Airline Storage Charge and $869.23 Inland Freight Seattle to Montana)

Total = $8,153.54

Calculating the total stings a little bit more. I struggle with the concept of leaving the animals behind. I respect the choice of other hunters to find alternative ways to memorialize the experience, but I still have wall space and enough income to cover these expenses. That being said, should these after hunt expenses continue to trend upward, I will 100% sacrifice trophy importation before adjusting my frequency of Africa travel. For now I'm excited for these old fellas to make it to Monarch Taxidermy and what creative pedestal is the result!

IMG_0708.jpg

That seems to be a lit excessive on the cost of dip & pack 5 skulls and skins, great old bulls, how about pictures of the sable and bushbuck.

Reactions: AES
Trophy prep, shipping and clearance has become a major line item in our safari budgets! The more remote the area the higher the cost! I’m like you, at some point I’m going to decide to leave the trophies behind. Pictures may be the trophies in the future.

How times change, back in 2015 for my 2014 safari in Coutada 10 in Mozambique I paid 1875$ for dip&pack, transport to RSA and delivery to Atlanta and then 500$ delivery to a Michigan taxidermist. But I don’t think I will ever get to the point of not bringing trophies home. Despite limited wall & floor space. I will just adjust my bags down to trophies that really important to me, living on the experience and a few special animals.

Neat old bulls. I’m sure three buffalo skulls and capes packs some weight and takes up some space so assumed it would be expensive for you but was taken back a step by the cost.
Still I commend you for bringing them home and putting them in the wall, I’m glad you can and will be able to do this!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!! Definitely sucks paying these kind of prices for the shipping and everything else involved. I'm in the process of getting my first crate from Africa, the prices are outrageous but I can't leave stuff behind. I've always wanted a house filled with taxidermy and I have that now but still don't consider leaving anything in Africa. I wanna look at the skull or horns or whatever and instantly transport back to Africa. Photos aren't enough for me but I can definitely understand people who are done paying for all of it.

I appreciate the way you broke it down by cost for each stage even though the total scares the heck out of me.

Unfortunately, because of space and money I have begun to take quality photos and leave the trophies behind. The difference almost pays for my plains game hunt in June of next year.
The extra hunting is a fair trade off for me.

Next trip will likely be for old mature broken up culls. Out of room and this has gotten crazy.

Planning 2026 to finish DG 7.
I don't want to leave Leopard Croc and Hippo behind. I may have to push to 2027 to be able to afford getting them back.
Cost is getting ridiculous compared to 2018 first trip.

I realize the trophies originated in Mozambique, are unique & therefore added cost to move to S Africa & all involved but it would be good for someone to post here this year's experience in costs to get trophies from Zimbabwe & Namibia. Doesn't have to be like kind animals just an overall with time from hunt to stateside too.

My son and I want to hunt the dangerous 7. He doesn’t want to leave any trophy behind. I’m in the let’s hunt now as often as we can. Leaving behind trophies means hunting more if can get this health issue straightened out. When I started budgeting for African I was allowing $1500 all in to get them home. Now it’s $4000. Large high quality photos are just fine with me now.

I’ll also be hunting the Niassa reserve in October next year. I am curious how long it took to get everything stateside?

Was the dip and pack higher than the standard South African price list because it originated in Mozambique? It seems extremely high. The shipping and clearing costs were very similar to my shipment from Zimbabwe last year. I’ve been a little hesitant to book Mozambique because of added costs I’ve seen to get trophies out.

A break down of my PG hunt in RSA exactly one year ago. Crate will arrive at my Taxidermist in MN today. Providing as it appears people are looking for the information. This was my first safari.

9 animals take with Latagen Safaris (excellent operation)

2487.00 at Taxidermy Africa for 4 eroupen, 1 Zulu shield with 2 skulls, dip n prep for 3 pedestal/should mounts plus a few oddball items.

2315.00 Shipping with SBS Logistics 107kg (137×100×93) Delta Air ( ??)

1001.94 Coppersmith broker in Chicago for clearing the crate (93 for inspection of giraffe pillow case... stupidity)

400.00 USA shipping from Chicago to Central MN

Total 6170.94..... plus I need to add in about 4k for what Trails End will need to mount the Sable, Heartbeest, Black Wildebeest.

I'm doing some serious soul searching on the next safari and what if any to bring back. Seam 'wrong' to leave trophies over there but that coat is too high for this blue collar worker.

Thank You IronRanger. Based on what I'm seeing here things have really ballooned since my trip to Zimbabwe in 2001. Yes 22 yrs ago & I'm finally headed back. Maybe a little research due here. Anyone considered ocean freight as an option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lufunom123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.