Converting 30-06 to 7x57

Thanks @Hunter4752001, I would guess that a good gunsmith could open extractor .002. The 30-06 length is 3.340-2.940 and the 7x57 is 3.203 this was my reasoning that this conversion might work. Certainly seems easier than my .375HH to 404Jeffery which works flawlessly. I will discuss with a professional before progressing.
I converted 8mm Mauser to 404 Jeffery. That's a huge transformation on a standard action 98 Mauser. Very doable. And yes, it cycles flawlessly.

The reason I'm against custom rifles is you never get your money back, and you never get a good product in the end. It's always patchworked.

Let me give a few examples of "proper":

Barrel Band Swivel - $150 in the white
3 position safety - $300-$350 installed
Front ramp and rear express sight island, plus regulation - $600
Inletted sling stud and install - $300
Grip cap and install - $250
Drill-Tap and install scope mounts - $200

That's before adding in bluing, stocking, checkering and oil finish, fitting a recoil pad, addressing feed, bolt face issues, etc, etc.

So whenever you see "customized" rifles, they are usually wrought with shortcuts, poorly fit stocks, no sights, etc.

OR you could buy either A.) A mid-grade custom for a fraction of the costs above, or B.) A factory mass produced gun with all these features for a fraction of the cost.

The reason I'm against custom rifles is you never get your money back, and you never get a good product in the end. It's always patchworked.

Let me give a few examples of "proper":

Barrel Band Swivel - $150 in the white
3 position safety - $300-$350 installed
Front ramp and rear express sight island, plus regulation - $600
Inletted sling stud and install - $300
Grip cap and install - $250
Drill-Tap and install scope mounts - $200

That's before adding in bluing, stocking, checkering and oil finish, fitting a recoil pad, addressing feed, bolt face issues, etc, etc.

So whenever you see "customized" rifles, they are usually wrought with shortcuts, poorly fit stocks, no sights, etc.

OR you could buy either A.) A mid-grade custom for a fraction of the costs above, or B.) A factory mass produced gun with all these features for a fraction of the cost.
I guess my 404 build on a 98 Mauser falls into the "mid-grade" category. It still cost just over $2K US to finish and I did most of the work myself. I'm no gunsmith but I didn't have any problem installing: the 3-position safety ($200); Winchester Safari Express iron sights ($150 - actually a gunsmith installed them [$60] because I had them with me when he mounted the barrel, but I had previously installed exact same sights on my Springfield rifle), sling studs (<$25); modifying commercial 1-piece base to fit military receiver ($100); Timney trigger ($80); new bottom metal ($400); magnum follower ($100); and stocking the rifle ($300). I also modified the feeding rails and ramp but would not recommend attempting that without experience or expert guidance. I'm guessing a gunsmith would charge $300-$500, depending on complexity. The rifle was already tapped for a scope but I'm quite sure I could have done it with the equipment I have in my shop. The barrel cost $1K including mounting. I couldn't do that work. Rifle was blued by a guy in New Brunswick ($150). I paid a local machinist $75 to open the bolt face.

So yes, the costs add up even when doing most of the work myself. But in the end I have a unique rifle made by/for me. That does make it more than just a killing machine. Hopefully it will have enough nonmonetary value attached to survive the auctioneer's hammer after I kick the bucket. I suspect if sold I could just recover the cost of building it but only because of the caliber choice. While I believe 30-06 is about the best cartridge ever designed, doing a fancy build in that caliber would definitely be a waste of money. A fabulous build would be a very tough sell at only $800.

IMG_0917.jpeg

I have $3,200 in my 404 done by Dennis Olsen a few years ago. Includes the donor rifle, metal work and stocking. It shoots wonderful but might not gain value but I doubt it will lose value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Etta203568

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!