93marlin

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, Harbor Springs OD club, OGCA
Hunted
United States & Canada
There's one of these up for auction. Does anyone have any knowledge about them? The one on GB has had the stock repaired which doesn't worry me too much if it's a solid repair without any movement.
Any information about a Cosmos or Paradox in general is welcome.

I assume this is the auction?

First of all C&H made quality guns.

Could be great or could be a money pit. Paradox guns can be a lot of fun and still quite useful in the field. In Namibia I once rolled to warthog for leopard bait and made a small mountain of sandgrouse one afternoon at the same waterhole, If you use the search function, there has been a good bit of discussion about them here over the years.

That stock is a mess - that said, on a penny auction if you can get it for a song then it might be worth a quality restocking effort.

If I remember correctly, the Avant Tout version of the A&D boxlock used a barrel mounted ejector system which could cause issues over time. Judging by the buggered screws, this one has had those issues,

The rifling looks intact which is a big deal on these - it was often bored out once paradox ammunition became rare to non-existent.

I would want to know from the seller if it is still on face - ask him to remove the forend, shake the gun and see if there is any detectable movement.

Is the solder still sound holding the barrels together? Ask him to suspend them by the forend hook and tap with a wood mallet. They should ring not clunk.

Finally, getting one of these shooting requires a lot of commitment to ammo development. You might get lucky and find some of the recent production H&H paradox ammo and discover it regulates reasonably. My William Evans shoots it accurately to 50 yards and a bit. On the other hand, it shoots the loads developed by Ross Seyfried sub three-inches at 100 yards.

Attachments

• Cogswell & Harrison, LTD 12 ga SXS Paradox bores, express sights, mfg 1909 - Curios & Relics a...pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 27

I assume this is the auction?

First of all C&H made quality guns.

Could be great or could be a money pit. Paradox guns can be a lot of fun and still quite useful in the field. In Namibia I once rolled to warthog for leopard bait and made a small mountain of sandgrouse one afternoon at the same waterhole, If you use the search function, there has been a good bit of discussion about them here over the years.

That stock is a mess - that said, on a penny auction if you can get it for a song then it might be worth a quality restocking effort.

If I remember correctly, the Avant Tout version of the A&D boxlock used a barrel mounted ejector system which could cause issues over time. Judging by the buggered screws, this one has had those issues,

The rifling looks intact which is a big deal on these - it was often bored out once paradox ammunition became rare to non-existent.

I would want to know from the seller if it is still on face - ask him to remove the forend, shake the gun and see if there is any detectable movement.

Is the solder still sound holding the barrels together? Ask him to suspend them by the forend hook and tap with a wood mallet. They should ring not clunk.

Finally, getting one of these shooting requires a lot of commitment to ammo development. You might get lucky and find some of the recent production H&H paradox ammo and discover it regulates reasonably. My William Evans shoots it accurately to 50 yards and a bit. On the other hand, it shoots the loads developed by Ross Seyfried sub three-inches at 100 yards.
That is the auction and I've started a dialogue with the seller. Yes, the stock is a mess. He said that it has no movement in relation to the receiver and is tight on face. If I can get it comparatively cheap, a new stock could be made for it without breaking the bank!
I'll be watching this auction and asking the seller more questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EveHindwoo

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?