Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I think this may be controversial. I have read on this forum that keeping the eye on the scope is the preferred practice. This video demonstrates a different method. Thoughts?

I think this may be controversial. I have read on this forum that keeping the eye on the scope is the preferred practice. This video demonstrates a different method. Thoughts?

Hmmm. Let's just say short stroking is a bad idea?

I personally am much faster maintaining the rifle on the shoulder and tracking the animal while working a reload.

And of course a R8 solves his asserted cluttered vision issue completely.

Hmmm. Let's just say short stroking is a bad idea?

I personally am much faster maintaining the rifle on the shoulder and tracking the animal while working a reload.

And of course a R8 solves his asserted cluttered vision issue completely.
I have not been able to develop the ability to stay on target through the scope with my 308 Norma Mag or larger. I am very accurate, and I honestly have no problem with recoil up to and including a 505 Gibbs. But I have to reset my view of the world after the shot. I think this technique described in the video will work better with my limitations - my shoulder is fine but I guess my eyes spin like marbles in my head :D lmao

He does make a good point. With the really long actions, you "could" maybe hit yourself in the nose with the back of the bolt if cycling from the shouldered position (which is how I try to do it). It is more important to cleanly eject the empty case and chamber a fresh round (while taking an extra half second) than to short stroke it. I'd say it's up to the individual.

I think both fellas made very good points. If the rifle and scope fit properly, everything should be lined up with target when the gun hits the shoulder ... repeatedly. Trying to work the bolt while the gun is shouldered is for me an exceedingly unnatural movement with right elbow and wrist. My right elbow is only half raised below my chin when the rifle is mounted. To cycle I drop the rifle to approximayely chest level which only moves my elbow slightly (if at all). On the other hand, cycling with rifle shouldered requires raising my elbow significantly from chest level (or lower) when gripping to fire, up to eye level (or higher) to work the bolt. I also find that more wrist movement is required to hang onto the bolt while cycling from the shoulder. Altogether, there is too much effort involved = more probability of something going wrong. Though I don't look in my action when cycling, I will need to look in it if something gets hung up ... like the round I tried to load from magazine to shoot my last gemsbuck. If a hunter has habitually practiced cycling from the shoulder, I think he might be inclined to initially attempt to resolve the issue by looking into the chamber with gun is shouldered. Force of habit. I agree, that doesn't afford the best view. Might not be efficient enough resolution if something is charging him. When my Springfield jammed, the action was maybe chest high and I could instantly see the problem and fix it. I cleared the gun, mounted it, and shot the gemsbuck ... on the run. That rifle and scope fit me perfectly.

I've practiced both, and I can do either. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I see the benefits (no pun intended) on keeping my eyes/sights on the target.

On the other hand, I can see how a longer action, especially combined with a short length of pull (It would be nice to be taller with longer arms, but well fitting is better than wishes) means that bolt comes really close to my eye. I didn't notice it much with my 1903 Mannlicher, but the M1910 also has a Lyman #1 on it, and when that is in the "down" position, that gets really close. So I get both points.

And yes, the scariest sound in the world is to hear a click when you really expected to hear a bang.

I should pass along a warning to those who choose to cycle the "normal" way, i.e. remounting the rifle. MAKE SURE YOUR SHIRT HAS CLOSED FLAP CHEST POCKETS. I noticed a problem the other night when practicing fast cycling my 404: the bottom of recoil pad kept catching in the open pocket of my Wrangler flannel shirt when I was dismounting the rifle. I mean every time I got hung up!

I note that this chap, who's obviously a professional hunter/ranger, shoots a dangerous game rifle with bent bolt. Tsk, tsk. We all know that doesn't work ... because Rigby doesn't make them that way. :D He also added a cheek rise to his DGR with its obligatory European style flat combed stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailca1r

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)