Bow case

Dawg2019

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m know I have seen a prior thread on this, but can’t locate it. What bow case is recommended for travel, most of the time it will be rising in the back of my truck, but an airplane might be in the future.

For the back of your truck it depends on what you mean by "Back of my truck". Thrown loose in the bed of a pickup and driven over rough roads then something solid like SKB or Pelican. If carefully placed and protected from other baggage then almost any case possibly even a soft case may be sufficient.
For airline use I think the Badlands "Terraglide" is well worth the money. It provides more than adequate protection and doesn't look like a bow / gun case so doesn't attract undue attention at the airline check in counter. Last month I put two Gearhead "Disrupter 24" bows plus arrows and assorted other archery equipment and a camoflage suit (For padding) in my "Terraglide" lower compartment then almost all my clothing in the upper compartment and side pockets. Everything survived United Airlines handling from Minneapolis to Johannesburg and back. The United Airlines counter staff paid absolutely no attention, other than weight, to the case at check in either in Minneapolis or Johannesburg.

For airline travel, your 2 best options for a heavy-duty bow case are the SKB and a Pelican case. However, as Stubbleduck correctly mentioned, there are some inherent issues flying with bow cases internationally and especially into South Africa where there is a good chance your bow case will be confused with a rifle case and sent to the South African Police Station for inspection.

I also use a hard-sided rolling duffle when traveling with my bows to avoid those inconveniences that go along with that confusion. The Terraglide looks like a good option. I personally use the rolling duffle made by Cabela's/Bass Pro. The bows are well protected in the bottom compartment, and the bag itself looks like any other piece of luggage so it will not draw the attention of a weapons case.

flat duffel.jpg

Love the SKB case, I used one on my first trip to RSA and packed a 300 WM TC Encore in it with my bow. It sold me as it handled the baggage monkeys with impunity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyH

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.