Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 33 US states and counting
I shoot a wood stocked R8 with 375, 300, 257 and rimfire barrels. Great setup. In my traditional rifles, I also like the 458 Lott. I'm thinking of adding a R8 barrel in 458 Lott but don't want to open up the wood fore end for the 22mm Safari profile barrel. I'm considering all options including getting a 2nd R8.

What have others been doing to solve this and how do you like the 458 Lott in the R8? Is anyone shooting it on the lighter receiver or do most of you end up with the heavier receiver as well?

Synthetic stock is the way to go. Depending on the final weight you want, chose steel insert or alloy insert - there is no difference in strength - and keep in mind the scope weight.

Depending on budget available, choose steel or alloy. The steel insert synthetic PH is typically 2.5x to 3x more expensive ($5,300 vs. $2,100 on EuroOptic right now, used to be $4,500 vs. $1,500), for no other reason than Blaser think they can gouge you.

You can always put a 12 oz. or 16 oz. tungsten recoil reducer in an alloy stock if you want the weight of a steel insert stock, without the cost.

I have both alloy insert and steel insert stocks, there is zero difference aside from the weight. I would never have bought a steel insert stock if I had not come across one used-as-new, priced to sell instantly, by a guy who thought he had to get a steel insert to get a 22 mm channel for a target barrel, and who just wanted the cash to replace it with an alloy insert stock. Lucky me!

Here is the data:

1710903725849.png

I favor DG caliber rifles that are a little heavier, as I find them considerably easier to shoot, and as I cannot tell the difference between 9 and 11 lbs. once they are slung on my shoulder. I love my 11 1/2 lbs. scoped R8 .458 Lott. It is a pleasure to shoot, and clover leaf accurate too.

Last edited:
I have an R8 Professional with 416 and 458 barrels. Mine is the standard aluminum receiver. My set up with the 458 Selous barrel weighs 8lbs 4oz. I have a Nikon 1-4x20 scope and an RMR set up for it. Weights with both sighting options are as follows.
Rifle/Scope/4 rounds ammo/sling= 10lbs 2oz.
Rifle/RMR/4 rounds ammo/sling= 9lbs 2oz.
RMR and mount weighs 3oz.
Nikon scope and mount weighs 1lb 3oz.

In my mind this is perfect for a 458. Mine is a 458 Win Mag and I use 450gr ammo, so recoil isn’t bad at all. The Lott with 500gr ammo would of course be a bit more.

I was hoping to hear from both of you...thanks. I like 450 gr TSX in my Lott reloads.

Toby, can you share a photo of both of your optic setups?

Thanks. If you have more of the red dot setup later that would be great.

Synthetic stock is the way to go. Depending on the final weight you want, chose steel insert or alloy insert - there is no difference in strength - and keep in mind the scope weight.

Depending on budget available, choose steel or alloy. The steel insert synthetic PH is typically 2.5x to 3x more expensive ($5,300 vs. $2,100 on EuroOptic right now, used to be $4,500 vs. $1,500), for no other reason than Blaser think they can gouge you.

You can always put a 12 oz. or 16 oz. tungsten recoil reducer in an alloy stock if you want the weight of a steel insert stock, without the cost.

I have both alloy insert and steel insert stocks, there is zero difference aside from the weight. I would never have bought a steel insert stock if I had not come across one used-as-new, priced to sell instantly, by a guy who thought he had to get a steel insert to get a 22 mm channel for a target barrel, and who just wanted the cash to replace it with an alloy insert stock. Lucky me!

Here is the data:

View attachment 594277

I favor DG caliber rifles that are a little heavier, as I find them considerably easier to shoot, and as I cannot tell the difference between 9 and 11 lbs. once they are slung on my shoulder. I love my 11 1/2 lbs. scoped R8 .458 Lott. It is a pleasure to shoot, and clover leaf accurate too.

Here is the data:

View attachment 594277

What scope do you use? I have the same setup, but also have a rather heavy low power Zeiss V8, that I’m a little concerned about rattling with Lott recoil. Thanks!

I recently found a used 23” 416 safari barrel. It has the standard iron sights and no sling swivel band. I was thinking it would weigh a bit more than my 458 barrel but was pleasantly surprised it weighs exactly the same. I guess that’s due to the sights and lack of sling band. Set up just like my 458 except with a lighter weight Leopold 1.5x5-20 scope, it comes in at 9lbs 15oz with sling and ammo.

1000013338.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Have you considered using the cup point solids? I had tremendous results with them late last season.

Nice. Have you considered using the cup point solids? I had tremendous results with them late last season.
The CEBs seem to work very well too. So that’s what I decided to go with. I put in an insurance shot on that buffalo, and it penetrated both shoulders like butter. So I was pleased.

I shoot a wood stocked R8 with 375, 300, 257 and rimfire barrels. Great setup. In my traditional rifles, I also like the 458 Lott. I'm thinking of adding a R8 barrel in 458 Lott but don't want to open up the wood fore end for the 22mm Safari profile barrel. I'm considering all options including getting a 2nd R8.

What have others been doing to solve this and how do you like the 458 Lott in the R8? Is anyone shooting it on the lighter receiver or do most of you end up with the heavier receiver as well?
Hi Green Chile,

Opinion of course, but I wouldn't open up your wood stock to accommodate a thicker barrel, just to take to Africa. The biggest matter is probably sheer weight, as guys above have pointed out. I'm thinking that you'll be much better off getting a heavy/steel receiver synthetic stock for the Lott, and I can report that it's a better way to go to meet your needs. I've got both, and each stock seems good for their intended purposes... heavy/steel synthetic for big boomer cartridges, and wood for eye appeal as well as shooting smaller cartridges. But, I tend to admire fine wood-stocked guns, maybe more than others might....who knows.

Great discussion, let us know what you decide. And pictures always are a big hit!

Here is the data:

View attachment 594277

How much did Blaser charge to open of the barrel channel on your Professional stock? I believe you had this done at some point, correct?

Another thing to consider is the synthetic stock will have a little more flex in it under recoil than a wood one will. This would translate to a little less perceived recoil with the synthetic.

@TOBY458 - I had Euro Optic open the forend on my wife’s Intuition and they didn’t charge me anything. They sent it to Texas because she was getting a 22mm Selous barrel and EO didn’t want to be responsible for damaging the wood in the process. They may have done this free of charge because we bought it from them brand new.

BTW - We sold her Selous barrel and she now has a 19mm barrel in its place. Not much of a difference in the stock/barrel gap.

Here’s a good shot of the scope set up, and what these rifles do best.

View attachment 594291
Toby that was your 416 or 458? I think I'm taking the R8 to Africa on 2 trips this year. I'm hunting buff with Craig Boddington...and then buff, croc and lion later. Will also take a barrel for PG.

Toby that was your 416 or 458? I think I'm taking the R8 to Africa on 2 trips this year. I'm hunting buff with Craig Boddington...and then buff, croc and lion later. Will also take a barrel for PG.
That was the 458. But I’m sure the 416 would’ve had the same results.

Yes of course. I was just wondering about the barrel profile. I haven't handled a safari contour barrel yet.

Yes of course. I was just wondering about the barrel profile. I haven't handled a safari contour barrel yet.
The 22mm (Selous and Safari) barrels put a lot of weight out front. I put the kickstop in my 416RM to even it out and add a little extra weight. Made a huge difference in the feel and put the balance between the hands.

Yes and the kick stop and balance is an important point. How do you know if the receiver or trigger group is steel or alloy? I don't see that referenced much in descriptions. I also almost never see the weight of the kick stop referenced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtdcamp

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.