Bipod practice? (Sticks)

That's plenty of gun/cartridge. 200 yd zero should be fine. I zero'd my 300WM to 100 for RSA. Wouldn't have made a difference. I think my farthest shot was maybe a little over 100 at 120-125. I can't recall the specifics for 300PRC but at 100 you won't be very high at all. 200 yd zero should be perfect.

Where are you going? When I hunted in Limpopo back in 2010, the vegetation was thick, and shots were fairly close 100-120 max. Hunting the Eastern Cape was completely different, with some mountains and shooting from one mountain edge to another. Shots taken were from roughly 100 yds to a bit over 300 yds. I'm sure there are areas in Limpopo where you can take longer shots.

Forgot to mention. Based on other posts, I purchased “The Perfect Shot II” book and have been reading it. Great book. I got a chuckle out of seeing in one hunt video…the PH pulled out that book and was showing the hunter where to aim for the day’s planned hunt.

It's a good book. The X-ray shots are handy. Take your PH's guidance over all. A lot of them will not let you take frontal shots and hard quartering to. Especially on some animals like wildebeest where if you make a mistake...it's a LONG day.

Broadside, anything on the shoulder is going to be a dead animal with 300 PRC. When in doubt, just hammer home to yourself "on the shoulder." Shoot them there you'll break the shoulder, possibly clip the top of the heart, and destroy the lungs.

When I say take your PH's guidance over all, it's important. My kudu was 45 degrees quartering away. He told me "right behind or on the first stripe level with the shoulder." It was a 100-120 yd shot. This was the result. Went 60 feet and thud.

Entrance:

Kudu 3.jpg

Some nice lung:

Kudu 1.jpg

Exit:

Kudu 2.jpg

Where are you going? When I hunted in Limpopo back in 2010, the vegetation was thick, and shots were fairly close 100-120 max. Hunting the Eastern Cape was completely different, with some mountains and shooting from one mountain edge to another. Shots taken were from roughly 100 yds to a bit over 300 yds. I'm sure there are areas in Limpopo where you can take longer shots.

This was my experience as well. We did have one area hunting warthogs that was vast and wide open. By far though, most of it there is thick.

This was my experience as well. We did have one area hunting warthogs that was vast and wide open. By far though, most of it there is thick.

Same with me. The area we hunted Blesbok was open savannah type area, and it was actually my longest shot taken during that hunt. I believe the distance was roughly 180yds or so.

That's plenty of gun/cartridge. 200 yd zero should be fine. I zero'd my 300WM to 100 for RSA. Wouldn't have made a difference. I think my farthest shot was maybe a little over 100 at 120-125. I can't recall the specifics for 300PRC but at 100 you won't be very high at all. 200 yd zero should be perfect.
I have some ammo coming from Choice Ammunition…190gr. Barnes LRX, 200gr. Nosler Accubonds, 212gr. Barnes LRX.
Will try all, but any of those will do the trick.
Basically, with sight-in at 200, one hashmark up on the reticle will pretty much put me on at 50-150yds. Have studied the reticle vs. bullet trajectory (and will keep doing so and confirm at the range), but won’t need to be messing with “clicks” if a longer shot presents itself.

Same with me. The area we hunted Blesbok was open savannah type area, and it was actually my longest shot taken during that hunt. I believe the distance was roughly 180yds or so.

Going back one day, I wouldn't hesitate to take that shot and IMO, it's pretty cool to be able to do that in Africa. Just gives a very fun experience of taking an animal on an open savannah type area.

Being my first time I was very nervous and that shot on the kudu felt like even more than I could handle. Ending up not being the case though.

That trip was something that will forever be ingrained in my soul. 100% enjoyable from top to bottom.

I have some ammo coming from Choice Ammunition…190gr. Barnes LRX, 200gr. Nosler Accubonds, 212gr. Barnes LRX.
Will try all, but any of those will do the trick.
Basically, with sight-in at 200, one hashmark up on the reticle will pretty much put me on at 50-150yds. Have studied the reticle vs. bullet trajectory (and will keep doing so and confirm at the range), but won’t need to be messing with “clicks” if a longer shot presents itself.

Don't bother. Trying to compensate in 1-1.5" in a short range shot on an animal like a kudu, wildebeest, even an impala or blesbok is very inconsequential. You may only have 3-5 seconds for a good shot before the animal is back in the brush.

Put the reticle on the shoulder (or where your PH says) anywhere from 50-200 yds and it's a dead animal.

Barnes is all I shoot. I don't mess with anything else.

BTW, I took the shot from my PH's shoulder, he sat in front of me, and I used his shoulder as a rest. Weird way of shooting, but I was not about to argue, we had low crawled close to 200 yds trying not to be seeing by all the animals in that area. :ROFLMAO:

My apologies to the OP for hijacking his post.

For this first one, we’re doing Limpopo as well.

Don't bother. Trying to compensate in 1-1.5" in a short range shot on an animal like a kudu, wildebeest, even an impala or blesbok is very inconsequential. You may only have 3-5 seconds for a good shot before the animal is back in the brush.

Put the reticle on the shoulder (or where your PH says) anywhere from 50-200 yds and it's a dead animal.

Barnes is all I shoot. I don't mess with anything else.

BTW, I took the shot from my PH's shoulder, he sat in front of me, and I used his shoulder as a rest. Weird way of shooting, but I was not about to argue, we had low crawled close to 200 yds trying not to be seeing by all the animals in that area. :ROFLMAO:

My apologies to the OP for hijacking his post.
No worries at all! I enjoy that chats with everyone here! And, I am (of course and per intent) learning from all who have gone before me.

For this first one, we’re doing Limpopo as well.

Excellent! Limpopo reminded me of Texas. What time of the year (month) are you going?

It's a good book. The X-ray shots are handy. Take your PH's guidance over all. A lot of them will not let you take frontal shots and hard quartering to. Especially on some animals like wildebeest where if you make a mistake...it's a LONG day.

Broadside, anything on the shoulder is going to be a dead animal with 300 PRC. When in doubt, just hammer home to yourself "on the shoulder." Shoot them there you'll break the shoulder, possibly clip the top of the heart, and destroy the lungs.

When I say take your PH's guidance over all, it's important. My kudu was 45 degrees quartering away. He told me "right behind or on the first stripe level with the shoulder." It was a 100-120 yd shot. This was the result. Went 60 feet and thud.

Entrance:

View attachment 594801

Some nice lung:

View attachment 594802

Exit:

View attachment 594803
That’s a nice shot!

I think that, after a person understands how the quad sticks, aka Gunstix, work and practices with them a bit, you’ll find them to be much more stable than tripod sticks and especially bipod sticks. Once I started using them, it quickly became obvious they’re superior for stable, steady shooting.

The PH I do most of my hunting with, Alan Vincent, was not a fan of Gunstix the first time I showed up with them. He didn’t like them and kept resisting them. However, after seeing how steady they are and watching me easily make a few tough shots, a few weeks ago when I was leaving Cameroon he asked me if I’d mind leaving them behind for the next hunter. On this hunt, those Gunstix helped me make a clean shot on a Lord Derby Eland through a bunch of junk between us and the Eland. It was about 220 yards or so and Bang-Flop. Eland never took a step. I would not have even attempted that shot with traditional sticks.

BTW, after using them a fair bit, both practicing and hunting, I realized that Primos Trigger sticks are pretty much garbage. They’re junk and there are much better options available, both 3 & 4-legged.

I went with African sporting creations tripod sticks and really like them. Simple and sturdy. I would like to try the quad sticks, but I'm pretty accurate with the sticks I have now. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 300 yard shot off of the tripod sticks given the opportunity and couldn't get closer.

IMO it is worth investing in some quality shooting sticks and practicing with them every chance you get before your safari. I went on my first safari to South Africa and Namibia this past summer and 9 of the 10 trophies I hunted I used my own sticks. Getting comfortable with your equipment is important and can mean the difference between recovered and lost game. I personally use the African Sporting Creations 2 Section Shooting Sticks and love them. Get sticks that you can use both for your trip and your hunting at home.

IMO it is worth investing in some quality shooting sticks and practicing with them every chance you get before your safari. I went on my first safari to South Africa and Namibia this past summer and 9 of the 10 trophies I hunted I used my own sticks. Getting comfortable with your equipment is important and can mean the difference between recovered and lost game. I personally use the African Sporting Creations 2 Section Shooting Sticks and love them. Get sticks that you can use both for your trip and your hunting at home.
Thank you, “jnotzon”. I appreciate the input.

I honestly didn't read all the threads so in regards to sticks and practicing shooting off sticks....the key word here is.....sticks....

My advice is to go into the woods....find 3 relatively straight saplings, approximately 5/8" -3/4" in diameter by 6 feet long. Bind Them "SNUGGLY" together. Adjust the binding to your comfort height with your rifle. Cut the excess off about 3- 4 inches above your rifle. And practice shooting off sticks.

Not many and none of my PHs have used factory / commercial sticks. They have all used as I described above for clients to use.

I have found 1/2" sticks to be too wobbly and yes your PH may have a "crude" set of sticks 1/2" in diameter. Also, 3/4" is a bit too big and a pain to work with. 5/8" FOR ME is optimum. Also rounded point the ends at the ground for better stability on hard surfaces.

Of course you can go to the local hardware store, ie Lowes, Home Depot, etc and buy 3 6foot dowels and some 1/4" twine or 10" bungy cord for lashing. And while your at it buy a piece of foam pipe insulation, and a folded up rag ie. 1/2 T-shirt wash cloth, face cloth, to protect your stock.

FYI, if you take care of your "homemade sticks" they'll last a very long time. My first set lasted about 3 late fall- winter months. Over a year later and I'm still on my 2nd set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohitgupta

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg