Bipod practice? (Sticks)

PapaPaint

AH member
Reaction score
Howdy.
South Africa PG hunt planned for 2027.

Question:
Would you recommend getting one of the “double” bipods to practice on prior to the trip?
(I did a quick search and didn’t find this already asked and answered, but if I missed it, please refer me over to another thread.
- Apologies if that style of bipod has a better name (says the “newb” ).
(A rest for under the stock and another under the fore grip)
- Have seen in several videos where the PH (of course) has the hunter(s) take a couple shots from those sticks and have seen one or two do a quick demo.
- Is it pretty straight forward and I’m over-thinking things or is it worth the cost of a set to spend some time on them…shooting; adjusting position?

On both of my hunts in South Africa all my PH's provided were standard Bog Pods, nothing fancy.

You might contact your outfitter to see what they are providing as far as shooting sticks. You can also plan on taking your own.

Reactions: WAB
On both of my hunts in South Africa all my PH's provided were standard Bog Pods, nothing fancy.

You might contact your outfitter to see what they are providing as far as shooting sticks. You can also plan on taking your own.
Thank you, “JimP”.

I practiced with a travel bipod from African Sporting Creations which happened to the same one used by my PH. I have a BogPod and find it to be a bit different from the more traditional one I used in Namibia. Enjoy your pending hunt.

My ph had quad sticks like you mentioned. It was my first time using them and I loved them. Takes a little getting used to but not bad.
I now have a set of my own

If the animal is standing, can't see you, or doesn't care if it does see you and the ground is level and clean, quad sticks are ideal. But readjusting them is NOT easy, especially if the ground is uneven or brushy. Personally, I prefer standard tripod sticks. Or shooting without sticks. I find that I'm much more concentrated shooting without sticks. Perhaps it's an unconscious thing where I allow myself to get sloppy on sticks and don't trust myself enough off sticks which ensures I'm more careful. Also, the more time it takes to get off a shot, the more likely I am to "get worked up" or overthink the shot and mess it up.

I easily took to shooting off sticks when I first went to Africa. I think probably it was because I have shot from a bipod when hunting varmints for years. It is a great way to shoot.

What you are calling a double bipod are called quad sticks. If you search quad sticks or brands like 4 stable sticks or viper flex or Gunstix you’ll find more information. I personally like 4 stable sticks best. They have dramatically changed my shooting and I take them on every trip with me. They do take a different style to be fast. You need to focus on getting the back of the rifle in place first then the front falls into place quickly. I also only shoot with a sling and hold the sling and front two sticks with one hand. This allow me to reposition very quickly if needed. Once you learn to be fast with them the increase in accuracy you get is impressive over a bipod or a tripod.

I practiced with a travel bipod from African Sporting Creations which happened to the same one used by my PH. I have a BogPod and find it to be a bit different from the more traditional one I used in Namibia. Enjoy your pending hunt.
Thanks, “Rimbaud”.

If the animal is standing, can't see you, or doesn't care if it does see you and the ground is level and clean, quad sticks are ideal. But readjusting them is NOT easy, especially if the ground is uneven or brushy. Personally, I prefer standard tripod sticks. Or shooting without sticks. I find that I'm much more concentrated shooting without sticks. Perhaps it's an unconscious thing where I allow myself to get sloppy on sticks and don't trust myself enough off sticks which ensures I'm more careful. Also, the more time it takes to get off a shot, the more likely I am to "get worked up" or overthink the shot and mess it up.
Getting set up and readjusting on them is very easy if you make an attempt to learn to shoot with them and practice before your trip. If all you do is show up and use the PH’s sticks what you wrote is probably correct. However, I’ve used them in multiple African countries and in mountainous and uneven ground without issue except Cameroon. I’ve not seen an area in South Africa they aren’t well suited for. The problem in most cases is the hunter using them chose not to practice properly and learn to use the sticks.

What you are calling a double bipod are called quad sticks. If you search quad sticks or brands like 4 stable sticks or viper flex or Gunstix you’ll find more information. I personally like 4 stable sticks best. They have dramatically changed my shooting and I take them on every trip with me. They do take a different style to be fast. You need to focus on getting the back of the rifle in place first then the front falls into place quickly. I also only shoot with a sling and hold the sling and front two sticks with one hand. This allow me to reposition very quickly if needed. Once you learn to be fast with them the increase in accuracy you get is impressive over a bipod or a tripod.
Thanks, “375Fox”! Great info to know.
Per advice from another responder, I’ve emailed my outfitter to confirm what kind of sticks they use and whether it varies from PH to PH. I suppose if the hunter has a preference, they MIGHT accommodate if they have that style of sticks available (or optionally, I bring my own). If I find they use/prefer quad sticks, I’ll get a set to practice on. Standard bipod/tripod is nothing out of the ordinary (likely except when your heart is thumping as you pull up on your first African animal ), but the quad sticks seem like they’d take a bit getting used to, and some good practice on them might remove one “bad” variable from hunt success.

Thank you, “Ontario Hunter!

I easily took to shooting off sticks when I first went to Africa. I think probably it was because I have shot from a bipod when hunting varmints for years. It is a great way to shoot.
Thank you, “WyoBull”.

Thanks, “375Fox”! Great info to know.
Per advice from another responder, I’ve emailed my outfitter to confirm what kind of sticks they use and whether it varies from PH to PH. I suppose if the hunter has a preference, they MIGHT accommodate if they have that style of sticks available (or optionally, I bring my own). If I find they use/prefer quad sticks, I’ll get a set to practice on. Standard bipod/tripod is nothing out of the ordinary (likely except when your heart is thumping as you pull up on your first African animal ), but the quad sticks seem like they’d take a bit getting used to, and some good practice on them might remove one “bad” variable from hunt success.
I always do a couple practice set ups with my PHs if they don’t use them but they are slowly becoming more and more common. By 2027 the PH you’ll be hunting with might be using them himself. @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION has 4 stable sticks for sale under $100 if you’d like to give a try. The biggest advantage I see to the sticks is they nearly eliminate left and right movements so your chance wounding is much reduced.

I always do a couple practice set ups with my PHs if they don’t use them but they are slowly becoming more and more common. By 2027 the PH you’ll be hunting with might be using them himself. @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION has 4 stable sticks for sale under $100 if you’d like to give a try. The biggest advantage I see to the sticks is they nearly eliminate left and right movements so your chance wounding is much reduced.
Thank you, “375Fox” (and others). Based on feedback from my post, I’m definitely getting a set of good quad sticks and…of course…practicing until I’m very comfortable before departing.

I like shooting off of sticks but I do not like quad sticks at all. @ActionBob really likes quad sticks. I have used a few different brands. I got Bob some trigger sticks for Christmas one year and love those.
I talked to someone at a convention and they liked both and didn’t really have a preference. I think it just comes down to there is no right or wrong, it’s what you like most and are most comfortable with.
You will get a LOT of great and useful information about this and hopefully it will help in your research. :)

I like shooting off of sticks but I do not like quad sticks at all. @ActionBob really likes quad sticks. I have used a few different brands. I got Bob some trigger sticks for Christmas one year and love those.
I talked to someone at a convention and they liked both and didn’t really have a preference. I think it just comes down to there is no right or wrong, it’s what you like most and are most comfortable with.
You will get a LOT of great and useful information about this and hopefully it will help in your research. :)
Thank you, “Just Gina”.
If my PH “doesn’t care”, my gut tells me to go with a Gen 3 Primos Trigger Stick Tripod. I assume if you bring along your preferred set, they will let you use whatever you want?
I might still get and try a set of quad sticks to see if I like them, BUT I’ve watched numerous hunters struggle on hunt videos getting set up on them….guessing due to a combination of lack of practice and good old fashioned hunting adrenaline.

Shooting off tripod sticks which has been the standard for years is a lot easier to move around and readjust than the quad sticks in my opinion.
While the quad sticks are very solid once you are set up (more like shooting off a bench standing up), if you have to move or reposition you better hope the animal is asleep and not nervous.

Shooting off tripod sticks which has been the standard for years is a lot easier to move around and readjust than the quad sticks in my opinion.
While the quad sticks are very solid once you are set up (more like shooting off a bench standing up), if you have to move or reposition you better hope the animal is asleep and not nervous.
Thanks, “WyoBull”.
“…asleep…”.
Definitely thinking tripod now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DemiShiels

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.