Best .45 ACP round for black bear protection

I have purchased the Buffalo Bore 255gr Hard Cast as well as Double Tap 255gr hard cast for my HP .45 ACP. I also carry a .357 with Double Tap 200gr hard cast rounds. I consider both adequate defense against NC Black Bears which do grow to the size of grizzly's here. They typically do not hibernate here in NC and have a year round food supply. That said, it is very rare to have a black bear attack here in NC, but we have had more recently do to the bear population growth as well as neighborhood expansion into their territories. We've even seen them here in the Greensboro area on occasion.

The best round for “bear protection,” across any species, whether black, brown, polar, or otherwise, is the most-awesome 10mm AUTO.

There’s a reason the 10mm Gen4 Glock 20 is the Mil-issue sidearm for Denmark’s Sirius Sledge Patrol soldiers operating in the arctic regions of Greenland.

View attachment 581878

The 10mm, properly loaded, will put the big bruins face-down on the tundra.

Your choice: a 200grn FMJ @ 1270fps or a 220grn hardcast WNFP @ 1200fps.

View attachment 581875
@Jack Stevens I liked your write up on the 10mm and the use of the word “Best”. If you’ve actually killed 5-10 Polar Bear with it and Also shot another 10-20 with “other rounds” THEN You are certainly qualified to make bold declarations and can back them up with some real experience & facts. Now, I agree your faith in the 10mm is well founded and don’t doubt it will work well - so will a dozen other handgun rounds and too many bullet/load combos to even list. I realize the the 10mm is the New “Hot girl at the Prom” and everyone wants to get there hands on her and brag about how incredible it was etc.. Defending against a Bear attack is different from Hunting Bear - you need to deter——turn the attack away….killing the Bear is secondary, saving yourself is PRIMARY. Any handgun is better then None and many will work (and have worked). Whatever a person feels comfortable with, can handle under extreme stress, can fire semi accurately, and will NOT jam — should do nicely.
All that said - i do like the 10mm and think it’s a fine semi auto round - as for Glock, there are better 10mm pistols but Glock is cheaper and a good value for the money And if someone gifted me a Glock 10mm I’d certainly enjoy it. That’s just my opinion and I’ve killed ZERO bears during any attacks - Never been attacked by a Bear (or anything else) but did kill a black bear w/a 9mm once. So My advice and opinion is fairly worthless.

@Jack Stevens I liked your write up on the 10mm and the use of the word “Best”. If you’ve actually killed 5-10 Polar Bear with it and Also shot another 10-20 with “other rounds” THEN You are certainly qualified to make bold declarations and can back them up with some real experience & facts. Now, I agree your faith in the 10mm is well founded and don’t doubt it will work well - so will a dozen other handgun rounds and too many bullet/load combos to even list. I realize the the 10mm is the New “Hot girl at the Prom” and everyone wants to get there hands on her and brag about how incredible it was.
:rolleyes: ….. The 10mm’s hardly “new.” It’s been a thing since 1983.

Defending against a Bear attack is different from Hunting Bear - you need to deter——turn the attack away….killing the Bear is secondary, saving yourself is PRIMARY. Any handgun is better then None and many will work (and have worked). Whatever a person feels comfortable with, can handle under extreme stress, can fire semi accurately, and will NOT jam — should do nicely.
All that said - i do like the 10mm and think it’s a fine semi auto round - as for Glock, there are better 10mm pistols but Glock is cheaper and a good value for the money And if someone gifted me a Glock 10mm I’d certainly enjoy it. That’s just my opinion and I’ve killed ZERO bears during any attacks - Never been attacked by a Bear (or anything else) but did kill a black bear w/a 9mm once. So My advice and opinion is fairly worthless.

10mm Glock 20 stops Grizz charge. Just doing what it’s supposed to do ….

IMG_0385.jpeg

View attachment 602346
@Jack Stevens - are you saying 1983 is “Old”? —- that’s Yesterday for some of us!
I don’t disagree at all that the 10mm is a fine semi auto round and better then most semi auto pistol rounds regarding power, if I were to Hunt with any semi auto pistol the 10mm would be a good choice. For Bear “defense” there are many that will work as well — just gotta be able to operate them effectively under stress and get some rounds on target (easier said then done). That looks like a nice Fall griz.

I carry black talons if I carry my 1911 I think they are called something else now if u don't reload.up on the farm if on surprise predator patrol it's a carry handle ultra lite ar 15. And in my pocket 24 7 is a high standard 101 derringer in 22mag. It's fast and accurate makes loud noise too.i do take the grips off though.
They're called SXT's now and they don't come blackened. Same thing.

The best round for “bear protection,” across any species, whether black, brown, polar, or otherwise, is the most-awesome 10mm AUTO.

There’s a reason the 10mm Gen4 Glock 20 is the Mil-issue sidearm for Denmark’s Sirius Sledge Patrol soldiers operating in the arctic regions of Greenland.

View attachment 581878

The 10mm, properly loaded, will put the big bruins face-down on the tundra.

Your choice: a 200grn FMJ @ 1270fps or a 220grn hardcast WNFP @ 1200fps.

View attachment 581875
It's a pistol. It's not the best round for protection and I'm a fan of the 10mm. Something much larger from a rifle has the ability to bang flop on the spot.

The reason the Danes issue that pistol is because it's more powerful than a .45, reliable, lightweight, easily carried, and the plastic frame won't freeze to the users hand if used barehanded. The last one is missed by everyone until they need to use a handgun in cold weather. Availability in time of need and they are not out to hunt bear.
Defending against a Bear attack is different from Hunting Bear - you need to deter——turn the attack away….killing the Bear is secondary, saving yourself is PRIMARY. Any handgun is better then None and many will work (and have worked). Whatever a person feels comfortable with, can handle under extreme stress, can fire semi accurately, and will NOT jam — should do nicely.
I'd wager that if you kill the bear, you haven't got to worry about deterring the attack again. If you deter, now you've got to watch myself until you're clear of the area. What if the bear decides, "Wait a minute now...that scrawny little snack isn't so ferocious after all..."? Stop the attack cold and move on with your day.

View attachment 602346
How many rounds were fired? What was the distance and circumstances here?

It's a pistol. It's not the best round for protection and I'm a fan of the 10mm. Something much larger from a rifle has the ability to bang flop on the spot
Only maybe if you’re are hunting and therefore actually have a rifle in your hands when the bear appears. :rolleyes:

The pistol that you have on you (which the Danish soldiers do since it’s their sidearm) is for immediate self-preservation - because your hands, as is typically the case, were occupied doing something else and your rifle isn’t within reach when Mr Grizz or Mr. Polar decided to show up. Timing isn’t always your call. The bear has a plan too.

The reason the Danes issue that pistol is because it's more powerful than a .45, reliable, lightweight, easily carried, and the plastic frame won't freeze to the users hand if used barehanded. The last one is missed by everyone until they need to use a handgun in cold weather. Availability in time of need and they are not out to hunt bear.
Actually, the Danes’ 10mm Gen4 G20 were chosen to replaced the 9mm Sig 226s they were once issued because the 9mm proven too underpowered to stop or turn a polar bear charge, which infrequently happens but it does. On the Greenland tundra while patrolling as well as at their camp sites. The last part of your statement (bolded) is correct.

How many rounds were fired? What was the distance and circumstances here?
Double tap of 10mm hardcast … Here’s the link to the story, in case you were too busy posting to google it:

Attachments

• Alaskans Stop Grizzly Bear Charge with Glock 10mm On Elmendorf-Richardson.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Only maybe if you’re are hunting and therefore actually have a rifle in your hands when the bear appears. :rolleyes:

The pistol that you have on you (which the Danish soldiers do since it’s their sidearm) is for immediate self-preservation - because your hands, as is typically the case, were occupied doing something else and your rifle isn’t within reach when Mr Grizz or Mr. Polar decided to show up. Timing isn’t always your call. The bear has a plan too.

Actually, the Danes’ 10mm Gen4 G20 were chosen to replaced the 9mm Sig 226s they were once issued because the 9mm proven too underpowered to stop or turn a polar bear charge, which infrequently happens but it does. On the Greenland tundra while patrolling as well as at their camp sites. The last part of your statement (bolded) is correct.

Double tap of 10mm hardcast … Here’s the link to the story, in case you were too busy posting to google it:

Great...another yahoo that's uber defensive of the 10mm. The title of the thread is best .45 ACP round for Bear, but you were apparently too daft to be bothered to read it and had to come out with your favored case instead.

I googled poorly written story about man with cheap holster that stops bear and was able to find the story. Thanks for that cringe worthy read.

Great...another yahoo that's uber defensive of the 10mm. The title of the thread is best .45 ACP round for Bear, but you were apparently too daft to be bothered to read it and had to come out with your favored case instead.
The .45acp is marginal for stopping the big bruins due to its slow velocity - which makes it a poor penetrator on thick hide, sinew, and bones. Adequate and consistent penetration is required to reach a bear’s vital organs. The 10mm, with its better sectional density and higher velocity, is the superior penetrating round thru all that internal material and will reach a bear’s vital organs. Especially the “heavy & fast” HC 10mm loads from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap Ammo, Underwood Ammo, and Grizzly Cartridge Co.

There are tons of “10mm stops bear charge” cases out there to illustrate the point. Google is your friend.
I googled poorly written story about man with cheap holster that stops bear and was able to find the story. Thanks for that cringe worthy read.
Actually, junior, at the link I provided you read an engrossing and true account of a hunter and his buddies returning to a bow-hunting kill-site when they were unexpectedly charged by a Grizz.

One of them heroically drew his 10mm Glock 20 and dispatched the beasty with a double-tap of hardcast rounds before it could maul or kill his companions. …. A dead bear right there, as was pictured. It was later judged to be a legit DLP shoot by the wildlife Gendarmes.

Now, back to Mommy’s basement with ya.

When I lived in Alaska, I carried a .44 mag, but several Master Guides that I knew told me to "save the last shot for yourself"! I still think it would have gotten the job done most of the time. There are .44 mag semi-autos such as the Desert Eagle. That gives you more rounds and is similar to the 1911 configuration.I would think a .45 might be a little light.

Many were carrying a 12 gauge pump with a pistol grip and alternating buck and ball. With a shorter barrel and a sling, it wouldn't be much more in the way than a big pistol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohitgupta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg