Barnes TSX or not

M70375!

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys,
I am going to Botswana for elephant and SA for lion . My question is, would a Barnes 270 or 300 gr TSX bullet be a good choice for lion. I have heard the Barnes X bullet is to hard and does not open up well on a lion, so I am wondering what you guys think about the Barnes TSX, they are a little softer than the X bullet. I think they would be perfect but I have never been to Africa.
Also, I am told that a yellow fever shot is recomended for Botswana. I hate to take vaccines, what do you guys say take it or not. Do you know what the side effects are.
Thanks guys

No....

@IvW is right. The TSX is a wonderful bullet for many applications, but I think there are better choices for lion. You’ll want a bullet that expands reliably in a not-so-tough animal like lion. The TSX will probably not expand enough before exiting. In order, my choices would be Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Woodleighs, and Hornady Interlocks.

Oh, I got a Yellow Fever shot before a trip to Zambia. I experienced no side effects. If I remember correctly, SA won’t let you in without a vaccination card if you’ve been to a country where YF exists. So, if you are transiting through SA either coming or going, you’ll need a vaccine card.

I used a 300gr TSX in my 375 HH on a lion and leopard and didn’t open up very well at all. I would not use on thin skinned cats again. Pin hole in and out.

See if you can find some vintage A-Square “lion loads”. I mean, they must be good. :)

I kid. Likely worse than Barnes.

my hunting buddy shot two lions with Sierra Game King-perfect for them.
250 gn bt for his .375
Side effect of yellow fever vaccination - we never had it

@IvW is right. The TSX is a wonderful bullet for many applications, but I think there are better choices for lion. You’ll want a bullet that expands reliably in a not-so-tough animal like lion. The TSX will probably not expand enough before exiting. In order, my choices would be Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Woodleighs, and Hornady Interlocks.
Thank you

250 gn bt for his .375
thank you

250 gn bt for his .375
thank you

Besides the above - Wouldn't hesitate to use DGX bonded.

Good luck!

I used Barnes Vortex ammo in my 375 H&H and shot their 300 grs TSX. I hunted plains game and ended my hunt shooting a lioness. The smallest animal was a warthog and the largest a female cape buffalo. All the animals were one shot kills (except the bushbuck that I shot twice, he was still alive when we found him, but he was not going anywhere) including the lioness. The lioness barely ran 10 yds from the area where she was shot, to where we found her. The exit hole was the size of a quarter, and the heart and lungs were mush. I asked the outfitter if the TSX was ok and he gave me the thumbs up, so that is what I took.

One thing that people need to remember about the TSX or any of the monolithic bullets is that even when they fully expand the exit hole might look the same as the entrance hole. Remember, skin stretches and unless there is some mass on the side of the exit hole it may appear that the bullet never expanded.

While I haven't hunted lion, buffalo, or any of the other big 5 I wouldn't hesitate in a second to use a Barnes TSX or their TTSX line of bullets. I have seen what they do to elk and deer as far a expanding and the damage that they do inside of a animal.

I would try the Hornady CX in 250gr. I haven't used them in a 375 but have worked very well in other calibers. Similar to the TSX.

I used Barnes Vortex ammo in my 375 H&H and shot their 300 grs TSX. I hunted plains game and ended my hunt shooting a lioness. The smallest animal was a warthog and the largest a female cape buffalo. All the animals were one shot kills (except the bushbuck that I shot twice, he was still alive when we found him, but he was not going anywhere) including the lioness. The lioness barely ran 10 yds from the area where she was shot, to where we found her. The exit hole was the size of a quarter, and the heart and lungs were mush. I asked the outfitter if the TSX was ok and he gave me the thumbs up, so that is what I took.
Yes, I shot a mountain lion that I called in at 33 yds with 270 and 130gr Barnes TTSX, the tissue damage was unbelievable. Maybe I will shoot a coyote and if it rips a big hole in him, I will use it on lion. Those petals are so deadly when they peel back, I just have a hard time using anything else

Oh, I got a Yellow Fever shot before a trip to Zambia. I experienced no side effects. If I remember correctly, SA won’t let you in without a vaccination card if you’ve been to a country where YF exists. So, if you are transiting through SA either coming or going, you’ll need a vaccine card.
Botswana does not require a yellow fever card unless coming from yellow fever endemic areas. South Africa won’t require a yellow fever card from Botswana either. There’s really no reason to take it unless going to an area where yellow fever is actually present or required by the country like Zambia or Cameroon.

One thing that people need to remember about the TSX or any of the monolithic bullets is that even when they fully expand the exit hole might look the same as the entrance hole. Remember, skin stretches and unless there is some mass on the side of the exit hole it may appear that the bullet never expanded.

While I haven't hunted lion, buffalo, or any of the other big 5 I wouldn't hesitate in a second to use a Barnes TSX or their TTSX line of bullets. I have seen what they do to elk and deer as far a expanding and the damage that they do inside of a animal.
they are my favorite bullet

Reactions: jpg
Botswana does not require a yellow fever card unless coming from yellow fever endemic areas. South Africa won’t require a yellow fever card from Botswana either. There’s really no reason to take it unless going to an area where yellow fever is actually present or required by the country like Zambia or Cameroon.
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrylFin

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.