AR LPVO's on BGR's?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
This is more of a curiosity rather than a serious question, but is there any reason you couldn't use a decent quality LPVO scope for the AR platform on a big game rifle? I was just sitting here wondering how my Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 might fare on my Whitworth Express 375H&H. I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Aren't many of the tacticool scopes for ARs often fitted with funny reticles and turrets? I have no experience with Vortex, so that is maybe not applicable.

For ordinary hunting, I personally prefer the German #4 reticle, and capped turrets. As few bells and whistles as possible. Sight in an inch or 2 high at 100, depending on cartridge/load - and it should be good out to 200.

This is more of a curiosity rather than a serious question, but is there any reason you couldn't use a decent quality LPVO scope for the AR platform on a big game rifle? I was just sitting here wondering how my Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 might fare on my Whitworth Express 375H&H. I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I had a strike eagle on my 375 when I first purchased it for a while.. I already owned it, and it was sitting in the safe not being used, so I mounted it until I had an opportunity to find the scope I really wanted so I could start shooting the rifle and get used to it..

The strike eagle can handle the recoil, no problem…

Eye relief is a bit short for my taste.. and the horseshoe reticle that makes it really nice for cqb isn’t really optimum for hunting either PG or DG in my opinion..

But you could make it work if necessary..

I run LVPO’s on several bolt guns. I use Trijicon exclusively due to their reliability and durability….. bet my life on their products at work each day. I’ve got an Accupoint 1x6 on my Winchester 70 375 H&H that I use in Africa as well as an Accupoint 1x4 on a Marlin 45-70 for bear. Both are set up on QR mounts. No worries or issues as long as the optics are designed for extreme recoil/impact.

I'm not a huge fan of Vortex, but I am sure it would work fine. Nightforce ATCAR, Leupold VX6 and Tract Toric 1-8 have all been on my rifles, no issues at all. Eye relief really matters, so make sure you get that part worked out right. I laid my eye open on a hunt last year in Zim, you need all the space you can get when shooting in odd angles.

I've had three Vortex optics go sideways on me, two red dots and one set of binos. Those experiences have influenced my purchases moving forward, so let's just say I'm not a fan.

The LPVO reticle (in general) is built around the concept that it will be used on the AR or similar platform...meaning calibers ranging from 5.56NATO to 308WIN. Most of them incorporating some type of BDC reticle based on barrel length, bullet weight and bullet speed. I'll go out on a limb here and say there aren't a lot of AR's chambered in 375H&H and even fewer LPVO's calibrated for them.

Will it work, absolutely. I'm sure it will be more than capable of handling the recoil and it could easily be mounted in QD rings as well. The point I'm making is that there are much better options available that are better suited to your application.

For a DG capable rifle I would want an uncluttered illuminated reticle with true 1x at low power and at least 6x at high set in QD rings. The Leupold VX-6 HD 1-6x24 or the AccuPoint 1-6x24 would be a good places to start IMO.

If money is tight, I get it. Use the LPVO until you can get what you really want.

I am testing a Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 on my .45-70 pig gun right now. Really liking it a lot, especially in the South Texas brush where the 1x with illuminated reticle is great. On 1x it is a red dot, but with the ability to increase magnification for longer distance. I trust Nightforce’s reliability infinitely more than Leupold or most any other brand, although Aimpoint is pretty tough and reliable.

I've had three Vortex optics go sideways on me, two red dots and one set of binos. Those experiences have influenced my purchases moving forward, so let's just say I'm not a fan.

The LPVO reticle (in general) is built around the concept that it will be used on the AR or similar platform...meaning calibers ranging from 5.56NATO to 308WIN. Most of them incorporating some type of BDC reticle based on barrel length, bullet weight and bullet speed. I'll go out on a limb here and say there aren't a lot of AR's chambered in 375H&H and even fewer LPVO's calibrated for them.

Will it work, absolutely. I'm sure it will be more than capable of handling the recoil and it could easily be mounted in QD rings as well. The point I'm making is that there are much better options available that are better suited to your application.

For a DG capable rifle I would want an uncluttered illuminated reticle with true 1x at low power and at least 6x at high set in QD rings. The Leupold VX-6 HD 1-6x24 or the AccuPoint 1-6x24 would be a good places to start IMO.

If money is tight, I get it. Use the LPVO until you can get what you really want.

The scopes you listed are LPVOs?

Ummmmm…..

:D :D :D
There are exceptions for every rule. And I'll concede the point if you can find one in 375H&H...with an LPVO optic having matching BDC reticle for 300 grain Barnes TSX at 2450 fps :ROFLMAO: .

BTW - I'll want one for Christmas next year.

I don't think that is what he was saying, rather, I think he was trying to steer me towards "proper" BGR scope solutions; at least, that's how I read it.
Yes sir, exactly my point. However the choice is yours.

I know what it's like to get accustomed to a particular piece of kit and then want it for everything. I'd only say to leave a little open space to try something new every now and then. You never know what you might run across.

They work great in the right circumstances... .450 Marlin bear gun.
20230613_214149.jpg

It's becoming quite difficult to find a low power / variable power scope with straight tube that doesn't have huge exposed knobby turrets that snag on stuff and perhaps even lose their setting, and very complicated reticles that do not help a hunter aim quickly and accurately at game animals.
I prefer simple reticles ( illuminated centre is good) and small, capped adjustment knobs. But the market seems to have a different opinion.

The vortex razor 1-6 gen 2e is flat out amazing

Better eye relief than Leupold or swaro EE's. Low profile wind and elev turrets that are capped for protection.

Only downside is no locking vertical turret for distance (the 375 and up shoot like a rainbow) and they don't offer a custom shop like Leupold for a BDc reticle for 375 h&h.

If you have a lot of trigger time behind LPVO’s. It would be the most comfortable for you. No matter the rifle.

I have them on AR 15 & 10 s

I am selling a Riton 1-8 (low power variable optic) in the classifieds now. It’s got a lighted center dot and a more tactical reticle. It’s a true 1 power.

It’s not as busy or congested as most. But the turrets are burly and built far sturdier than needed for DG hunting. In fact the whole scope is probably overkill for DG hunting. But again. If you come from that background they are a perfect all purpose scope.

IMG_3274.jpeg

Trijicon 1x6 Accupoint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)