Anybody seen Blackhorn 209 in stock recently?

R.M.C.

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
U.S. , Canada, and RSA
Just wondering if any of you guys have seen 8 oz jugs of Blackhorn 209 powder for sale anywhere. I have found a couple places with 5 lb jugs in stock but I don't want that much. My local walmart ( Sayre , PA) has it occasionally but not recently. The guy that runs the sporting goods section has no idea when they might have it again. I've checked a lot of the usual suspects online with no luck. Thanks in advance!!!
R.M.C.

They're probably still trying to pass off that awful Pyrodex and Triple 7 as muzzle loader powder. BH209 is by far a superior powder, yet no one seems to carry it. My guess is, if they push a decent powder that doesn't foul the crap out of your barrel, they can't sell you cleaning supplies to clean the mess up with.

Check Sportsmans Warehouse.
Shows it is In Stock in:

Cincinnati, Ohio;
Parkersburg, West Virginia; Charleston, South Carolina; Southaven, Mississippi;
Kalamazoo and Troy, Michigan; Racine, Wisconsin;
North Colorado Springs, Colorado; Casper, Wyoming;
Williston, North Dakota;
Murrieta, Visalia, Rocklin, Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, Stockton, Chico, Brentwood, Redding, Fairfield, and Corona, California;
Walla Walla and Moss Lake, Washington (state);
Portland, Oregon;

Check their website for more locations if what I listed isn't near you.

They're probably still trying to pass off that awful Pyrodex and Triple 7 as muzzle loader powder. BH209 is by far a superior powder, yet no one seems to carry it. My guess is, if they push a decent powder that doesn't foul the crap out of your barrel, they can't sell you cleaning supplies to clean the mess up with.
I couldn't agree more, that pyrodex is junk, I can shoot my Omega twenty times in a row without touching the breech plug or swabbing the barrel. I'll never shoot pyrodex again lol

Check Sportsmans Warehouse.
Shows it is In Stock in:

Cincinnati, Ohio;
Parkersburg, West Virginia; Charleston, South Carolina; Southaven, Mississippi;
Kalamazoo and Troy, Michigan; Racine, Wisconsin;
North Colorado Springs, Colorado; Casper, Wyoming;
Williston, North Dakota;
Murrieta, Visalia, Rocklin, Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, Stockton, Chico, Brentwood, Redding, Fairfield, and Corona, California;
Walla Walla and Moss Lake, Washington (state);
Portland, Oregon;

Check their website for more locations if what I listed isn't near you.
I'll check them out, thank you sir!!

I couldn't agree more, that pyrodex is junk, I can shoot my Omega twenty times in a row without touching the breech plug or swabbing the barrel. I'll never shoot pyrodex again lol
R.M.C. I use 777 pellets and they certainly foul the barrel, they seem slightly cleaner then Pyrodex And shoot very consistently in my CVA. I shouldn’t really say that I “shoot” my Muzzleloader it’s more Iike I CLEAN it two or three times and “occasionally” fire a shot. But once my MZ is sighted in - it holds zero and I fire it only 2x a year: once to check zero each season and again to take a deer — clean it and back in the safe it goes. Other then the fact it allows me to legally hunt deer earlier in the season - I find No Joy shooting a muzzleloader....cleaning it is a part-time-job.

R.M.C. I use 777 pellets and they certainly foul the barrel, they seem slightly cleaner then Pyrodex And shoot very consistently in my CVA. I shouldn’t really say that I “shoot” my Muzzleloader it’s more Iike I CLEAN it two or three times and “occasionally” fire a shot. But once my MZ is sighted in - it holds zero and I fire it only 2x a year: once to check zero each season and again to take a deer — clean it and back in the safe it goes. Other then the fact it allows me to legally hunt deer earlier in the season - I find No Joy shooting a muzzleloader....cleaning it is a part-time-job.
Yeah I definitely think 777 is a step up from pyrodex but it's still way messier than blackhorn. If you haven't tried it you will love it. It is kinda pricey though.

Just wondering if any of you guys have seen 8 oz jugs of Blackhorn 209 powder for sale anywhere. I have found a couple places with 5 lb jugs in stock but I don't want that much. My local walmart ( Sayre , PA) has it occasionally but not recently. The guy that runs the sporting goods section has no idea when they might have it again. I've checked a lot of the usual suspects online with no luck. Thanks in advance!!!
R.M.C.

At this time of year, they sell for 3x retail. My local ace hardware has them in stock for $80 for the half pound size. Two years ago I was paying $28-$33.

At this time of year, they sell for 3x retail. My local ace hardware has them in stock for $80 for the half pound size. Two years ago I was paying $28-$33.
And for that price it was a 10 oz. bottle. Once Hodgdon took over BH209 things went south. First it was unavailable then they raised prices and reduced the size of the container. Quite a few posters have said they won't pay $80 for 8 oz. of the stuff. I can't blame them. I really like BH and I lucked out when a fellow member of my gun club sold me an unopened 5 Lb. bottle.

Since this is more than I'll ever use I offered to sell a full pound for $100 on this and another forum but had no takers. The big problem is an individual can't ship the stuff so it has to be a FTF transaction.

Since Hodgen's raised the price on BH and reduced the size of the bottle I have decided to just use Pyrodex.

I can get just as good of accuracy with Pyrodex and I have zero problems swabbing the bore every couple of shots when I am just target shooting.

The last bull elk that I shot with my muzzle loader was with Pyrodex and I hit him 3 times. Each shot was a kill shot but as those of you who hunt elk know, you keep shooting until he is on the ground. I had zero problems loading the bullets after the first shot and the one that I loaded that wasn't needed.

Perhaps there are a number of you that don't mind the extra cost of BH but in my book it is way too much.

I’m a big fan of BH209. The time saved in cleaning pays for the extra cost.

I learned that i can clean BH 209 just by pouring hot water down the barrel, then swabbing, it is much, much easier than with pyrodex.

Right now you can also buy it direct from Hodogon's website as well so it's out there, but expect to pay even more for shipping it. I'd go find it in store if at all possible if you need small amounts as it will be a lot cheaper this way.

I use it and will continue to use it but the costs are stupidly ridiculous now. I use a cva paramount htr. I use 150gr by volume but I weigh out each charge which I think is 105gr by weight. I can't remember. Using that much powder per shot is a real gut punch when it comes to cost.

I’m a big fan of BH209. The time saved in cleaning pays for the extra cost.

I learned that i can clean BH 209 just by pouring hot water down the barrel, then swabbing, it is much, much easier than with pyrodex.
When I was cleaning my muzzle loaders with hot water it would take me about 10 to 15 minutes to be done. I'll get a gallon of water boiling and then poor some Pinesole into it and while I was swabbing the bore with a patch that was sucking the water into the bore I would have another gallon on the stove starting to boil. Then once the bore was clean and nothing showed on a clean patch I would swap over to the clean water for a rinse.

Now I just use some Thompson Center 13 bore cleaner and some presoaked patched. It still only takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish.

DNL store in warwick RI has them 1lbs $80.00

D&L Shooting Supplies

www.dlshootingsupplies.com
3314 W Shore Rd, Warwick, RI 02886 · ~4.7 mi
(401) 738-1889
Open · Closes 5 PM
They only have 5 lb jugs, but I guess that the hazmat fee doesn't look too bad if you purchase that 5 lb jug
Untitled.jpg

Thank you for all the responses, I appreciate it. I'll check out some of these leads when I get home. Thanks again guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CortneyVan

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone