Any place to hunt goats in USA

What kind of goats specifically? Mtn goats avaialble in multiple states but tags are difficult to get in most places. I would guess Alaska easiest place to get the permit, might also be the hardest to hunt-
Feral goats I know Texas has options. . .
The mtn goat meat I have had has been fine, neither great nor awful

There are a few areas depending on what type of goat you want to hunt.

If you search out areas that had old coal mines that had Italians and Greeks working them then you may find feral goats that got loose from their owners either by accident or when the mines closed.

I know a couple of areas like this but it wouldn't be cost effective to travel to them.

Interested to know details. Anybody like goat meat?
Texas has plenty same with Hawaii & comiefornia ( California)
we got a great meat market in San Antonio that sells Cabra/ goat ready for the fiesta
& SA has a halal market with goat for the Muslim population
but our house likes goat Mexican style

i am requesting in advance for our chef to serve goat or wild game when we go on safari ( RSA raises the best goat in the world)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. I will search up Texas, if you know of any particular ranch/area/outfitter in TX please let me know.

I’ve hunted goats in Texas several times. Make for good eating. The Nannie’s are best but even a tough old Billy will make good table fare if ground or slow cooked. I enjoy tacos made with a slow cooked backstrap.
DSC_0293.jpeg
IMG_1978.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg

I've hunted BC an WY goats. I've never hunted AK for goats but Jims is spot on. If I were to go again it would be BC. Like stated a little more pricey but not that much. I went with Bolen & Lewis. There success rate for bowhunters is almost 100%. You'll get multiple opportunities. If I was to go to AK Lonesome Dove with Dennis.
The weather can be nice or rainy in either place just be prepared. When I went in BC it rained a lot. Hunting goats is a great experience and only a small group of bowhunters have done it.

I forgot about Hawaii and New Zealand, both have feral goat hunting. It’s on tv regularly

There are many ranches in Texas that offer goats. Looks up Forister Exotics in Rocksping, TX. We do few "meat" hunts there every year.
Also, as Poco said, if you just want to try meat, any Halal grocery store in most big cities in USA will have it.

One of the highlights of my father being a professor in the fisheries department at Auburn was the international picnic they would have every year around the research ponds. Many times the Indian, Kuwaiti, or Saudi Arabian students would cook a whole goat. My favorite was the Indian curried goat, they made two versions, one was an orange color and the other was green. It was somewhat tough to get past eating green meat but it was excellent.
As far as hunting goes I would do Texas unless I found myself in Hawaii. Don’t know about the logistics of getting a cooler full of goat meat home though from Hawaii.

I love goat. I ate so much of it in Afghanistan the local village elder asked if I was Afghan.

Iraq and Afghanistan are what cured me from goat consumption…

On one particular tour where we were out on the local economy and not close to any FOB, we literally ate goat and rice, lamb and rice, or chicken and rice every single meal.. breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. for about 90 days straight…

We’d fight to make the then incredibly dangerous run up Rte Jackson to Baghdad, and then run Rte Irish to BIAP just so we could hit the little shops along the way and pick up snacks and soft drinks as an alternative food source lol…

Trading personal welfare and safety for pringles and Dr Pepper… those were the glory days lol (early 2004)…

Iraq and Afghanistan are what cured me from goat consumption…

On one particular tour where we were out on the local economy and not close to any FOB, we literally ate goat and rice, lamb and rice, or chicken and rice every single meal.. breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. for about 90 days straight…

We’d fight to make the then incredibly dangerous run up Rte Jackson to Baghdad, and then run Rte Irish to BIAP just so we could hit the little shops along the way and pick up snacks and soft drinks as an alternative food source lol…

Trading personal welfare and safety for pringles and Dr Pepper… those were the glory days lol (early 2004)…
I feel you there. We were way down south in Helmand Province. The closest thing to a treat we got was the Pebsi and pine lights from the store en route to one of our OP's. Other than that it was MRE's and local cuisine. I did turn down the carp one of the ABP killed with a rock for dinner though.

I feel you there. We were way down south in Helmand Province. The closest thing to a treat we got was the Pebsi and pine lights from the store en route to one of our OP's. Other than that it was MRE's and local cuisine. I did turn down the carp one of the ABP killed with a rock for dinner though.

I had quite a few guys near Lashkar Gar and several more near Sangin in Helmand between 2007-2010…things got pretty sporty for them from time to time… they also ate a whole lot of sheep and goat lol…

I had quite a few guys near Lashkar Gar and several more near Sangin in Helmand between 2007-2010…things got pretty sporty for them from time to time… they also ate a whole lot of sheep and goat lol…
Lashkar Gar was north of us. Battalion AO started at New Dehli and went down to Safar Bazaar. I called Hasanabad home.

Plenty free range as well

Is Aoudad a goat? I don’t think so, it is a sheep and that is the only free range Goat/Sheep I know of in Texas.
Bow hunted a number of different species during the years I lived in Texas and it was all high fence.
I may be wrong but I don’t think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hello88plus

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.