Outdoorbound

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mokopane, Lephalale
Ok, seeking a bit of clarification here because i seem to get a bit of different information depending on the agency i enquire with. In about 60 days the family is leaving for SA. Because there are 8 of us, i am planning to bring 3 rifles. I have a single 4457 with all 3 rifles listed and in my name. Now the problem, i weighed 2 boxes of 416, 2 boxes of 30-06 and 2 boxes of 308 and in my pelican pistol case i exceed 11 lbs. Before i catch any grief about that being plenty of ammo, we are taking kids and everyone will be hunting on the trip. The question i have for the group is if you have ever had anyone in your group just transport ammo and if so, what did that process look like. I know the easy button is get a separate 4457 in my wife's name and then she has the ability to transport 11 lbs herself but its a bit of a drive to the nearest CBP office and im trying to avoid that. Any information on the simplest way to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Buy the 308 and 30-06 ammo in SA.
Plenty available everywhere.

Three rifles in one persons name might be an issue. Were all 3 rifles in one case or two?

Suggest you get new Form 4457s and list two rifles and scopes on one form, with your name. Get another Form 4457 in another person's name. Now each of you can bring 11 pounds (including case weight).

Ammo has to match up with the guns and all the paperwork has to match. As far as weight, if you are close it's probably not a problem. Round count is (sometimes).

I seem to recall most airlines I've flown limit each passenger to two guns. Better check on that.

Agree another 4457 and ammo for that rifle would be the easy button. IATA says 5 kilos not including the case. Some airlines say ammo includes the case.

We usually split the ammo between checked bags so we have at least some of each in case one of the bags is lost. Easy to stay under the weight limits. Rounds allowed per caliber/person? Pay attention.

Three rifles in one persons name might be an issue. Were all 3 rifles in one case or two?

Suggest you get new Form 4457s and list two rifles and scopes on one form, with your name. Get another Form 4457 in another person's name. Now each of you can bring 11 pounds (including case weight).

Ammo has to match up with the guns and all the paperwork has to match. As far as weight, if you are close it's probably not a problem. Round count is (sometimes).
This is the best recommendation. please think of all your costs and arrangements for your great trip…having to make another drive for another 4457 and splitting between two people is a small price to pay versus losing your ammo due to overweight now you have real stress hoping to buy ammo in Africa

One other thing that should be considered.

When you arrive in South Africa you will be issued a temporary firearm permit that is suppose to stay with the rifle and you. There may be some questions if something happens and one rifle is with someone else and they happen to get checked for some reason.

It isn't like it is here in the states where you can pass a rifle around to a few other hunters without having to worry about a permit for the rifle.

Ok, seeking a bit of clarification here because i seem to get a bit of different information depending on the agency i enquire with. In about 60 days the family is leaving for SA. Because there are 8 of us, i am planning to bring 3 rifles. I have a single 4457 with all 3 rifles listed and in my name. Now the problem, i weighed 2 boxes of 416, 2 boxes of 30-06 and 2 boxes of 308 and in my pelican pistol case i exceed 11 lbs. Before i catch any grief about that being plenty of ammo, we are taking kids and everyone will be hunting on the trip. The question i have for the group is if you have ever had anyone in your group just transport ammo and if so, what did that process look like. I know the easy button is get a separate 4457 in my wife's name and then she has the ability to transport 11 lbs herself but its a bit of a drive to the nearest CBP office and im trying to avoid that. Any information on the simplest way to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
Did same thing in Nov 2023 and my ammo was over 10, I had to pay for being " over " the weight limit but after explain that I had no real choice in since they were big calibers and weigh more than the average , they cut me slack

Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like i'll be getting another couple 4457's done. Was hopeful there was an easier way but it sounds like thats not the case.

Question do I need an appointment to get 4457 completed? Called nearest land port and couldn’t get to a human
Depends on where you are located.

Some want you to call ahead, some want you to call from the parking area, while others let you walk right in.

After all it's the US Government

Agree another 4457 and ammo for that rifle would be the easy button. IATA says 5 kilos not including the case. Some airlines say ammo includes the case.
I have argued this point at check in once or twice. To the extent of removing the ammo and having it weighed. The cumulative weight however was over 5kgs. I’ve given up, this was using ex mil ammo cans. 5kgs gross nowadays.

The other option is contact your outfitter and see what they have to rent. Take two rifles and rent a third. A lot of outfitters have a good 308 or 30-06 for rent cheap, if not free. While i have indeed used my own, I used a rental 300 win Mag and 308 on one of my hunts and it worked out great. I got to use suppressed firearms, which I don't personally own and the animals all dropped just as dead as if I used my own.

With eight people traveling together, Why not have a 4457 for each rifle in 3 people's names and carry /pack enough ammo to check sights and hunt with. Then you don't have to worry about the ammo weight?

I have argued this point at check in once or twice. To the extent of removing the ammo and having it weighed. The cumulative weight however was over 5kgs. I’ve given up, this was using ex mil ammo cans. 5kgs gross nowadays.
unless you are taking another flight after Joburg just put your ammo in one of the light weight plastic cheap ammo boxes and well pack it from damage and do not forget the locks that way you can take more ammo, steel boxes are to heavy

Just fyi
Have your ammo in factory type boxes even if they are reloads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdancy1

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone