Age of first African hunting trip

I was 49. My son was 13.....

First trip I went to Zimbabwe for plains game when I was 45.

I was 39. Decided to hunt “the Bug 5” before I turned 40. Shot all five that first year on 2 separate trips.

Started taking my kids when the were 9 or 10. All 5 of them have hunted Africa, 3 of them before they were 10. You will love it, it’s addicting. You won’t go just once.

Enjoy yourself.

I was 44yo. Plainsgame in Zim with Lin Stanton.
Nothing bites like the African Bug. You’ll be planning your second safari before your first one is done.
Enjoy

51 for first PG hunt in the EC of RSA. Then went about every 6 months for elephant. Lion and Buffalo, rhino, leopard.

Spent our 25th Wedding Anniversary there in Addo Elephant park.
Romantic lunch with My PH at the table.
Steak was great though.
First international trip for both of us.

We took our first trip for PG in 2022. Whole family went. I was 44. Oldest son was 12, youngest 7. My youngest shot his first animal there, a blesbuck. It took some work, he was surprisingly good at stalking, way better than I imagined, but lots of failed attempts. His range was 100yards and in. Finally got it several days into trip. He is addicted to Africa. My wife also took her first animal ever that year. We made plans to go back in 2023 before we ever left Africa the first time. I am going back this year with a couple of friends. We are planning to go back as a family in 2025, but also adding a few other things in.

Then and now.
IMG_1794.jpeg

Kenya, 1974 (23)
IMG_1524.jpeg

Tanzania, 2023 (72)

With all of your blessings, this year will mark my 50th anniversary of going to Africa on Safaris.

I’m 49 and plan to head to Africa in 2-3 years.
What age were y’all on your first hunting trip to Africa. Just out of curiosity.
AIXENMEMPHIS: I was 50 & Son 18, it was his HS Graduation gift and My 50th BDay gift (to Me). I was interested in Zimbabwe but felt the Country (at that time) was too “unstable” to take my Son - friends recently had close calls there. I considered SA, Namibia, and Tanzania —- decided on Tanzania and had great 10 day Safari for PG & Buffalo. We did Not see the quantity of PG that other friends encountered in SA but there was still plenty and the amount of Buffalo seemed endless ——everyday!. Incidental animals seen was also great: Herds of Elephant, Lions twice, black Mamba 3x, Bull Hippo 4-5x on land {very close encounters - 20 yrds) and daily in water (I had Hippo on license but no interest in shooting one).
I still want to go back and would like Leopard in Namibia and maybe Buffalo too….Cats fascinate me but I’m so “picky” I would Not be satisfied with an “average good Tom”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.