9.3x62 Solids

I recently purchased a 9.3x62 barrel for my Blaser R8. I bought some Swift 300gr A Frames to handload. Also picked up 230 cheap 286gr soft points to play around with. But if I were buying solids, I'd go with CEB brass solids. I used their 300gr 375 solids on Elephant last year, and they really penetrate well.
Was this in SA? Not a lot of PH's allow 9.3x62 on DG? I thought about using my 9.3x62 on plaines and for a buff, or just take my dad's pre 64 375 HH.

No sir. USA. The 9.3 is legal for DG in some African countries. Zimbabwe is one of them.
If you hand load and chasing 5.3kj ME, it is straightforward to accomplish with a 300 grain bullet and a 24" barrel.

My choice is H4895 for 2 reasons:
1. at 5.3kj ME the load density is in the sweet spot of H4895 at ~95%.
2. the composition of H4895 means it handles the daytime temperatures of early and late season hunts with aplomb. Just load the rifle and belt and go for a stroll.

interesting discussion i might brought that i have solids from factory from barnes bullets fmj 286 grains loaded by federal. while i reload i needed some nickel brass so that was the only route for 9.3x62 and 9.3x74r ...

interesting discussion i might brought that i have solids from factory from barnes bullets fmj 286 grains loaded by federal. while i reload i needed some nickel brass so that was the only route for 9.3x62 and 9.3x74r ...
Good day sir. As a reloader, you have several choices for solids. Barnes makes a good mono metal solid but so far all I've seen are the round nose version. Woodleigh is back in production and their Hydro Stabilized Solid should be available soon. Also now available here in the states, The North Fork flat nose and cup point solids can be had. As a fan and shooter of the 9.3X62, I highly recommend this selection.

Good day sir. As a reloader, you have several choices for solids. Barnes makes a good mono metal solid but so far all I've seen are the round nose version. Woodleigh is back in production and their Hydro Stabilized Solid should be available soon. Also now available here in the states, The North Fork flat nose and cup point solids can be had. As a fan and shooter of the 9.3X62, I highly recommend this selection.
indded i will use the north fork instead of the barnes but i needed some nickel brass and that was my only option.

indded i will use the north fork instead of the barnes but i needed some nickel brass and that was my only option.
Very good sir. I prefer the NF and Hydro solids as the flat nose and cup point solids have less chance of deflecting if a heavy bone is struck a glancing blow. As for the nickel cases, that is of course your choice. I've never had a problem using standard brass cases. Good loading and shooting.

Hornady makes 300gr FMJ projectiles but probably they would work better in 9.3x64 than 9.3x62.

Very good sir. I prefer the NF and Hydro solids as the flat nose and cup point solids have less chance of deflecting if a heavy bone is struck a glancing blow. As for the nickel cases, that is of course your choice. I've never had a problem using standard brass cases. Good loading and shooting.
the only reason of nickel brass is to differentiate from solid to no solid but that is just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)