5 Stages Of A Hunter

Exactly @Hunter-Habib, at the end of the day, those pictures and the memories is what counts!

Something came to mind after posting my reply, and this is obviously only my case. Not sure if this would apply to others or not.

When I go to Africa, I'm trophy hunting, and I rely on the suggestions/recommendations and guidance of the PH. My trust is 100% on my PH, unless I do not like something on the animal we are hunting. Back home, I'm hunting, but I'm hunting to put food on the table first. On the lease we had, and hunted white tail deer, I would shoot a doe or two to have venison in the freezer, and then I would only hunt for bucks. There were seasons in which I didn't' shoot a buck but had venison in the freezer. Last year was one of them, not a single legal buck came to my stand. However, my friend's dad on his first day, had three legal bucks show up. He shot one of them. :ROFLMAO: Another key factor, here in the state I do not shoot deer in the shoulder to minimize the amount of meat damage. It's different in Africa.

What about a “ Scheme Phase”, which would be inserted somewhere after the youth phase, wherein the average married hunter strives to concoct plausible validations for hunting expenditures that result in the highest common denominator on the domestic bliss scale?

Great points and a good chronological order for most. My order would be 1,5,3,4. Number 2 has never been a step for me as I have never really had the quality hunting areas that would allow bad limits. My hunting time was always limited by work so I cherished any time in the bush with family and friends, so that is why 5 moves to 2. Also my hunting buddies all had sons so I always had a young hunter to mentor as there was a spare or two kicking around camp.

Something came to mind after posting my reply, and this is obviously only my case. Not sure if this would apply to others or not.

When I go to Africa, I'm trophy hunting, and I rely on the suggestions/recommendations and guidance of the PH. My trust is 100% on my PH, unless I do not like something on the animal we are hunting. Back home, I'm hunting, but I'm hunting to put food on the table first. On the lease we had, and hunted white tail deer, I would shoot a doe or two to have venison in the freezer, and then I would only hunt for bucks. There were seasons in which I didn't' shoot a buck but had venison in the freezer. Last year was one of them, not a single legal buck came to my stand. However, my friend's dad on his first day, had three legal bucks show up. He shot one of them. :ROFLMAO: Another key factor, here in the state I do not shoot deer in the shoulder to minimize the amount of meat damage. It's different in Africa.
I grew up hunting and always carried some kind of firearm, mostly a 22. As I got older I hunted to put meat on the table. Then into 3 gun competition. All of which honed my skills and I guess prepared me for my first safari. At that stage I think you could call me a shooter. I had a list of trophies I wanted ( 5) But being new to big game hunting I guess you could say I became a victim of blood lust and wanted to take as many different species as I could on that trip. I brought home 10.

My next hunts were for specific species and I concentrated on the stalk and a good shot. In all my hunts I didn't search for real big trophies but more for good representatives of the species as well as the old and past prime. I became much more selective and looked more to the overall adventure.

If I get to return to Africa it will probably be for a management hunt. I have no more space for mounts and it will help feed the native population. The thrill of the stalk and good shot placement will still be there.

1. Shooter Stage
Hunters at this stage simply want to do a lot of shooting, be it doves, ducks, squirrels, rabbits or even deer (in which case shooting opportunities are acceptable too). They want to test their shooting abilities, as well as that of their rifle or shotgun. These hunters are beginners and are often young as well.

2. Limiting-Out Stage
Eventually, simply burning through a lot of ammunition is no longer sufficient. Hunters at this stage still gain a lot of satisfaction from shooting, but now the number of birds or animals bagged becomes important too, and limiting-out, or filling a tag, is the gold standard.

3. Trophy Stage
Eventually the weight of the game bag becomes less important and the emphasis shifts from quantity to quality. Hunters at this stage gain satisfaction from being selective in taking game, such as a duck hunter who shoots only green-heads, a turkey hunter who only shoots long beards, or a deer hunter who takes only mature bucks. These hunters often travel long distances to hunt trophy animals.

4. Method Stage
For this hunter, taking game is still important, but more important is how that game is taken. True satisfaction comes from the method used to take game, with particular emphasis on more challenging methods such as archery or muzzleloading. This hunter will spend a lot of time scouting and using trail cameras, studying their quarry and practicing hunting skills such as calling and, in the case of a deer hunter, may even choose to target one specific animal.

5. Sportsman Stage
After many years in the field, the hunter begins to place the emphasis on the total hunting experience. Being in the outdoors, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature in all its beauty, now outweigh the need for taking game. These hunters often turn to mentoring other younger hunters for ultimate satisfaction.

None of these stages are bad or wrong, but just my observation of the natural progression and evolution of hunters throughout their lives!

What does the community think? Do you agree or have you witnessed different stages and progressions?

I actually hover in stage 6, I've known and experienced all of these stages. Sometimes its a heck of a lot of fun to jump between them. Labor Day weekend opening day Dove hunts are a wonderful, social experience where everyone gets to act like kids and limit-out with great zeal. Opening day bowhunting is definitely a method day, but all the trimmings of its preparation for the prior 6 months is the sportsman's stage. Then we have the holiday hunt that is a doe-only meat harvest that is again a limiting out event, in direct contrast to the days before and after that are "trophy stage" looking for that perfect buck that warrants burning your tag for the year.

I find a great deal of pleasure in hovering between different stages depending on the goals and social nature of the event. That's okay too, its the maturing past stage 5 into appreciating the joys that come from many of the stages that preceded it.

In 2022 when I hunted the Kalahari and shot a lioness, I was done by day 3. The owner offered me a free warthog hunt since I had two days left in camp. I was so full of mixed emotions after the lioness hunt that I felt that it would be unfair and disrespectful not to show the proper excitement to the warthog. I declined the hunt, but instead we drove around the property looking and enjoying the Kalahari without the pressures of the hunt. Sometimes it's all about those little things that sometimes get missed because we are too focused on the hunt.

Slob hunters are usually raised in that culture and never progress to any other stage. Nature or nurture? Doesn't really make any difference. Slob is a slob is a slob.
“Slob Hunter” is a term that never appeared in print before the 1990s and has become a popular term Now used by the Hunting Community to defend hunting to Anti Hunters…trying to change their minds by distinguishing the Majority of Hunters (Good) and shifting their focus to the Bad (Slobs). Maybe it helped and was needed although I don’t think any Anti Hunter will ever change their views on Hunting or hunters Based on facts - they form emotional opinions. I think the term is stupid and fake - manufactured And even minimizes severity of the illegal actions some Hunters take. What is a “Slob Hunter”? I think a “Poacher” is a thief & criminal - isn’t that enough of a label? A “Trespasser” is another criminal - breaking existing laws — isn’t that enough of a derogatory name/label? To call them just “slobs” lets them off easy. I had a Friend that I once hunted with that was a “slob” because he left all his candy & food wrappers, aluminum foil etc.. under my tree stand - I yelled at him when I saw the mess but that really had nothing to do with hunting. Another guy I hunted with didn’t take a shower during a week long hunting trip - even though we stayed in a motel each night - he thought that was part of being a “rugged outdoor guy” —- that’s a SLOB to me. If I want to call another Hunter a derogatory name - I’ll apply one specific to what he’s doing wrong and if I can’t find one that matches the law he broke — I have a menu of 4 Letter words to choose from (I worked in NYC and they flow freely !!). I do agree with Ontario that “a slob is a slob is a slob”. But it has little to do with how they hunt.

Last edited:
I never got to experience the number 3 stage until I went to RSA in 2022 on a PG hunt. I had never hunted with a guide before and only a couple of times before on private property. For 45+ years of hunting I did DIY on public land where the first legal game animal available you shot. When you’re competing with other hunters you take what you can get when the opportunity arises. This was ALL due to cost when raising a family when I was younger and with limited funds for hunting. Outside of this forum, that probably describes 98 percent of hunters in the US?

1. Shooter Stage
Hunters at this stage simply want to do a lot of shooting, be it doves, ducks, squirrels, rabbits or even deer (in which case shooting opportunities are acceptable too). They want to test their shooting abilities, as well as that of their rifle or shotgun. These hunters are beginners and are often young as well.

2. Limiting-Out Stage
Eventually, simply burning through a lot of ammunition is no longer sufficient. Hunters at this stage still gain a lot of satisfaction from shooting, but now the number of birds or animals bagged becomes important too, and limiting-out, or filling a tag, is the gold standard.

3. Trophy Stage
Eventually the weight of the game bag becomes less important and the emphasis shifts from quantity to quality. Hunters at this stage gain satisfaction from being selective in taking game, such as a duck hunter who shoots only green-heads, a turkey hunter who only shoots long beards, or a deer hunter who takes only mature bucks. These hunters often travel long distances to hunt trophy animals.

4. Method Stage
For this hunter, taking game is still important, but more important is how that game is taken. True satisfaction comes from the method used to take game, with particular emphasis on more challenging methods such as archery or muzzleloading. This hunter will spend a lot of time scouting and using trail cameras, studying their quarry and practicing hunting skills such as calling and, in the case of a deer hunter, may even choose to target one specific animal.

5. Sportsman Stage
After many years in the field, the hunter begins to place the emphasis on the total hunting experience. Being in the outdoors, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature in all its beauty, now outweigh the need for taking game. These hunters often turn to mentoring other younger hunters for ultimate satisfaction.

None of these stages are bad or wrong, but just my observation of the natural progression and evolution of hunters throughout their lives!

What does the community think? Do you agree or have you witnessed different stages and progressions?
Only thing I would add is stage 5.5 and that is when you enjoy making the habitat better even in some cases where you will see limited personal benefit. Just planted a bunch of trees that my new born grandchildren will one day hunt under.

1. Shooter Stage

2. Limiting-Out Stage

3. Trophy Stage

4. Method Stage

5. Sportsman Stage

One stage that is relatively new is pecker measuring stage where the self worth of the hunter is measured in B&C or Pope & Young score. I’m great with meat hunting, and I am great with any level of trophy hunting but especially in the Whitetail world the level of you are not doing it my way is turning off a lot of new hunters.

“Slob Hunter” is a term that never appeared in print before the 1990s and has become a popular term Now used by the Hunting Community to defend hunting to Anti Hunters…trying to change their minds by distinguishing the Majority of Hunters (Good) and shifting their focus to the Bad (Slobs). Maybe it helped and was needed although I don’t think any Anti Hunter will ever change their views on Hunting or hunters Based on facts - they form emotional opinions. I think the term is stupid and fake - manufactured And even minimizes severity of the illegal actions some Hunters take. What is a “Slob Hunter”? I think a “Poacher” is a thief & criminal - isn’t that enough of a label? A “Trespasser” is another criminal - breaking existing laws — isn’t that enough of a derogatory name/label? To call them just “slobs” lets them off easy. I had a Friend that I once hunted with that was a “slob” because he left all his candy & food wrappers, aluminum foil etc.. under my tree stand - I yelled at him when I saw the mess but that really had nothing to do with hunting. Another guy I hunted with didn’t take a shower during a week long hunting trip - even though we stayed in a motel each night - he thought that was part of being a “rugged outdoor guy” —- that’s a SLOB to me. If I want to call another Hunter a derogatory name - I’ll apply one specific to what he’s doing wrong and if I can’t find one that matches the law he broke — I have a menu of 4 Letter words to choose from (I worked in NYC and they flow freely !!). I do agree with Ontario that “a slob is a slob is a slob”. But it has little to do with how hunting.
Slob hunters are "all of above": poachers, trespassers, shoot after hours, litterbugs, drunk in the field, operating off road vehicles behind gates, leaving dead game in the field to find something better, skybuster waterfowl hunters, leaving makeshift crappers at campsights, pitching camp in the middle of access roads, tying up livestock in designated campsites, shooting owls, beavers, etc for target practice, and on and on and on. The variations of inappropriate and/or illegal hunting behavior are endless. Why not use one term to define them all? I suppose a litterbug might think himself above a jack lighter but I think lumping the jerk in with poachers is entirely appropriate. It is the best way to educate people new to the sport. It's all black or white: you either do it all right or risk being labeled a slob hunter.

This thing has been around a good long while and I've always thought it was complete BS. I'm 42 years old and have gone through and around all 5 stages, sometimes in the same hunting season. Recently I went through several stages over a three day period. Last year I went through several stages over the course of two dream hunts.

For example: Last year I went and hunted pheasants in Iowa with a friend. I took a seasoned lab and a raw pointer puppy. I hunted by myself on day one on public ground and I wanted to kill a limit. I walked my butt off to find a 3 bird limit on public ground and shot the last one to fill the limit with only 10 minutes of legal shooting light remaining. Day two I hunted with my friend, and could have cared less how many birds I shot. I just wanted to spend time with my friend and his other friends there. I got to shoot some and had fun. Day 3 I didn't even want to shoot. I wanted to work with my pointer puppy. Didn't fire a shot that day and still had a ball. I think that's 3 different stages over a weekend hunting trip.

Another example was my dream elephant hunt last year. I hunted 13 days and never fired a shot. I experienced elephant hunting though. I got to experience most of what you can experience on an elephant hunt. Long walks. Turn downs. Bluff charges. Cow scares, etc. But it wasn't complete and I didn't feel truly fulfilled until the second trip and I was able to get a good bull. I was super glad I got to experience everything I did. But it was VERY important to me to get the final experience of pulling the trigger.

Sometimes at home I want to go shoot. Sometimes I just want to be in the woods. Some away from home hunts are very important that I'm successful, sometimes I'm more worried about my friend's success. It can vary day to day, hunt to hunt, etc.

This thing has been around a good long while and I've always thought it was complete BS. I'm 42 years old and have gone through and around all 5 stages, sometimes in the same hunting season. Recently I went through several stages over a three day period. Last year I went through several stages over the course of two dream hunts.

For example: Last year I went and hunted pheasants in Iowa with a friend. I took a seasoned lab and a raw pointer puppy. I hunted by myself on day one on public ground and I wanted to kill a limit. I walked my butt off to find a 3 bird limit on public ground and shot the last one to fill the limit with only 10 minutes of legal shooting light remaining. Day two I hunted with my friend, and could have cared less how many birds I shot. I just wanted to spend time with my friend and his other friends there. I got to shoot some and had fun. Day 3 I didn't even want to shoot. I wanted to work with my pointer puppy. Didn't fire a shot that day and still had a ball. I think that's 3 different stages over a weekend hunting trip.

Another example was my dream elephant hunt last year. I hunted 13 days and never fired a shot. I experienced elephant hunting though. I got to experience most of what you can experience on an elephant hunt. Long walks. Turn downs. Bluff charges. Cow scares, etc. But it wasn't complete and I didn't feel truly fulfilled until the second trip and I was able to get a good bull. I was super glad I got to experience everything I did. But it was VERY important to me to get the final experience of pulling the trigger.

Sometimes at home I want to go shoot. Sometimes I just want to be in the woods. Some away from home hunts are very important that I'm successful, sometimes I'm more worried about my friend's success. It can vary day to day, hunt to hunt, etc.
Disappointment figures into every hunt. I wanted a warthog in the worst way on all three of my hunts. Did I get one? No, and only saw a couple. The good side is that it's an incentive to go back and nail one. I think that is part of what keeps the flame burning.

1. Shooter Stage

2. Limiting-Out Stage

3. Trophy Stage

4. Method Stage

5. Sportsman Stage

I've always been at stage 5 encumbancing in order 4, 3, and 2. Never being in the number 1 category due to as a youngster and starting out it was about having to purchase my own hunting gear, bow and arrows and archery accessories, my first firearm was an inherited 22 short cal only rifle after my great granddad past away, the second firearm was a loaner that my granddad would let me use to hunt with but I had to buy my own ammo for both if I wanted to use them, and cleaning supplies.

Then again as kids we were fascinated with Daniel Boone starring Fess Parker, The American Sportsman hosted by Kurt Gowdy(?) Hope I spelled his name correctly), and the various Cub Scout handbooks and earning our various merit badges. So we had stage 5 instilled (more like pounded) in us if we wanted to hunt and fish.

The main rule is: If you kill it, you eat it! With exception to vermin like crows and groundhogs.

I got interested in hunting as a kid because of Fred Bear. Everything he did seemed like an adventure and adventurer spoke to me very deeply - it still does. I've never had the time, money, nor opportunity to become a quantity or 'trophy' hunter. I've never felt disappointed because I walked out of the woods empty-handed, but I also do no share the view that 'just being out there' is the same as hunting - it's not. I won't take a gun if I just want to be out there - and I do plenty. But when I hunt, my intention is that I will take game PROVIDED the situation fits a very narrow window of expectations. Meaning everything has to 'be right.' If at any time I feel the situation is 'cheap' or 'easy,' (I personally will not use trail cams, but I don't want them banned either) I won't shoot. As a kid I made one stupid mistake which was to kill a deer the evening before the season actually started. That shitty feeling still sticks with me. I prefer to hunt alone if possible, and when hunting with someone, I don't have any interest in just yapping all day. I try to notice the very small things and observe observe observe.

I don't know what stage that makes me - but I no not feel that I have changed this perspective from when I started hunting - as they say, I was 'born this way,'

I think it’s quite accurate. I find myself at a combination of trophy, method, and sportsman stage at moment. I like taking trophies and hunting a certain way, but seeing new areas and getting new hunting experiences is really what drives my decisions for the hunts I book. Maybe an adventure stage needs added. I’d rather hunt the smallest old impala in a new area than hunt a 180” whitetail in my backyard.

Only thing I would add is stage 5.5 and that is when you enjoy making the habitat better even in some cases where you will see limited personal benefit. Just planted a bunch of trees that my new born grandchildren will one day hunt under.
JimBo: good point - Food Plots & being a “steward of the Land” fall into your category and many more people are becoming involved in Habitat improvements

I think it’s quite accurate. I find myself at a combination of trophy, method, and sportsman stage at moment. I like taking trophies and hunting a certain way, but seeing new areas and getting new hunting experiences is really what drives my decisions for the hunts I book. Maybe an adventure stage needs added. I’d rather hunt the smallest old impala in a new area than hunt a 180” whitetail in my backyard.
375 — I want to hunt your “Backyard”…PLEASE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lufunom123

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.