416 Rigby

CRCO

AH member
Reaction score
Media
After searching for a while i finally found a Ruger magnum in 416 Rigby in my price range. Previous owner had it magna ported. Looks like it kept a spot in the safe as only two very small scratches on the stock in front of the rear swivel. A bit of surface rust on the barrel in the stamped lettering.
I purchased the reloading dies and some 350 grain Barnes TSX, already had IMR 4350 powder and CCI Magnum rifle primers. Loaded a few up and went out to the range. Mostly just to see how it handled and check out the recoil. Glad to say this season went well.
Next I'll build a standing shooting rest and work up a load that she likes.
Have been working with Gerrie from Theron Safaris for our third African hunt. Leopard is the top of my list this time and Fran wishes for a Cape Buffalo.
We will either hunt Botswana or Tanzania. Working the details out now.

Great for you!

You mentioned Mag Na Porting. Iv had that done and while I do not see any significant reduction in recoil (recoil reduction is not why I had it done) I can tell you there is a significant reduction in muzzle raise. Which aids in helping recycle reduction time.

You mentioned Mag Na Porting. Iv had that done and while I do not see any significant reduction in recoil (recoil reduction is not why I had it done) I can tell you there is a significant reduction in muzzle raise. Which aids in helping recycle reduction time.
There was not much muzzle raise, less than I expected. My preference is to shoot suppressed, on this rifle it would require taking about two inches off prior to having it threaded. I have not decided if I will have this done or just use it how it is.

Congrats! Any pictures of your new rifle? Where are you getting components (brass) from?

Congrats! Any pictures of your new rifle? Where are you getting components (brass) from?
I just did an online search, started with ammoseek. Hopefully I'll get a picture up later.

tempImagehOPM2H.png

Op,

congratulations on your new rifle. (y)

Raven Rocks Precision has Norma .416 Rigby brass in stock. They are legit and provide good service.

Most of the large online vendors such as Midway, Natchez, and Grafs have a good selection Barnes bullets in stock.

Attachments

• Norma 416 Rigby Brass.pdf
    595.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
There was not much muzzle raise, less than I expected. My preference is to shoot suppressed, on this rifle it would require taking about two inches off prior to having it threaded. I have not decided if I will have this done or just use it how it is.
Your comment above as to muzzle raise probably is because it already has the porting. It works.

I had my Whitworth Express in .458 WM Mag Na Ported and found the same thing. The recoil is still pretty stiff, but the muzzle rise was noticeably reduced. Doesn't seem to have effected the blast like a muzzle brake does. I like it.

Heartiest congratulations on such a regal purchase. If I may offer one small recommendation… instead of using 350Gr Barnes TSX, you’ll benefit from using 400Gr Hornady DGX Bonded bullets for leopards (esp. those shot over bait).

Heartiest congratulations on such a regal purchase. If I may offer one small recommendation… instead of using 350Gr Barnes TSX, you’ll benefit from using 400Gr Hornady DGX Bonded bullets for leopards (esp. those shot over bait).
Thank you for the suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yinengyul5033

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!